Dish vs: Directv from a Driectv guy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

I regularly get accosted in Costco (maybe that makes it AcCostco?) by the Directv guys. I finally stopped last week when he asked what I had for TV.

"Dish..."

"Oh, we can beat that. What are you paying?"

"Look... We have a Hopper. It's 3/4 full of stuff my wife wants to watch. You'd also have to replace the 77 timers we have scheduled. We have a Joey, and a whole house HD Flow wireless HDMI system.,"

All along he's nodding his head...

"And, we have a Wally in the motorhome.."

"Never mind. I had you up to the Wally. But we can't compete with that. Keep what you have."

Sure they can.

From their website

Keep the shows. Lose the extra equipment.
Genie Mini or Wireless Genie Mini lets you enjoy all your entertainment and full HD DVR in additional rooms without seeing extra equipment.

8Muddypaws said:
Sure they can.

From their website

Keep the shows. Lose the extra equipment.
Genie Mini or Wireless Genie Mini lets you enjoy all your entertainment and full HD DVR in additional rooms without seeing extra equipment.
But you must have the main Genie unit nearby, too. I don't know much about the Hopper/Wally, though, or which might be independent of the main unit.

8Muddypaws said:
They are pretty much the same.

Actually no.  Besides the horrible customer service Direct offers with Dish you also loose a lot of program channels.  So there is a difference, its all a matter of what your willing to give up.

I?ve dealt with both.  Never had a problem with directs customer service and they have better online tools.    Better content too.  The last time I did anything with dish you had to call them for darn near everything.

With that said I?m on the verge of cancelling directv entirely.

I have the DVR main receiver and two wireless genies.  Direct tech came out and installed everything in the MH.  Each TV can watch a different program at the same time or something stored on the DVR.  I have no issues with their customer service.  I even suspend the account whenever we are at home, they will suspend it for you up to six months, no charge.  When we change locations, go online and give them the new address to change to those local stations. 

8Muddypaws said:
I?ve dealt with both.  Never had a problem with directs customer service and they have better online tools.    Better content too.  The last time I did anything with dish you had to call them for darn near everything.

With that said I?m on the verge of cancelling directv entirely.

The only time I've talked directly to Dish was when I initiated my account in 2009. Everything since then has been handled by chat, email, or more recently, their phone app. The app even handles my service address changes with just a few few button presses and entering a number.

My latest call to useless Direct tech line today got me mad again.  Remote lag on a Mini Genie  10 seconds between pushing a button and something happening is "normal" yea right!  Directs equipment is poorly assembled and QC is non existant.

8Muddypaws said:
Is that a wireless Mini? 
Probably i have the same issues you need to restart it.
Sometimes it will fast forward to the end of the program instead of just past a commercial.

if i could get the programming from dish i would give them a try. 

A couple of folks have mentioned that Direct has programming which Dish does not offer. 

Would one of you let us know what is missing from Dish?  It doesn't have to be an detailed listing, just a general idea of what Direct offers that Dish does no.

I always figured that both had just about the same programming available, as long as you were willing to pay for the channel lineup.

AStravelers said:
A couple of folks have mentioned that Direct has programming which Dish does not offer. 

Would one of you let us know what is missing from Dish?  It doesn't have to be an detailed listing, just a general idea of what Direct offers that Dish does no.

I always figured that both had just about the same programming available, as long as you were willing to pay for the channel lineup.
The easiest way is to print out their programming guide and compare it yourself.
But For instance Dish offer at most 3 or 4 Chriatian stations, while Direct has about 10.

AStravelers said:

Direct has a better sports lineup than Dish if that matters to you. Otherwise, both carry all the popular "cable" channels and premiums with the exception of no HBO currently on Dish. As said, compare the available packages on both to find the best fit for your needs. Keep in mind that Dish is generally the better choice for RV'ing though, especially for part-time RV'ers and those that prefer the local channels in their current location by satellite.

Dish may get HBO back at some time if the greedy folks at AT&T back off from their demand that Dish pay for more subscribers than they have. You could subscribe to HBO Now and stream their content if Dish is otherwise acceptable. I have no use for HBO though, so the loss of it meant nothing to me.

Thanks to all who gave details about what is on Direct they want, which is not on Dish. 

It is always frustrating to see one or two line statements about preferring one thing over another w/o giving info about what the like or don't like. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom