Distant Networks from DISH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arcticfox2005

We signed up for the DISH Pay-As-You-Program. Their ads say "distant networks are coming soon". However, some research told me that the court order back in 12/06 was permanent. Does anyone have some insight? Is it going to happen? Or is the best thing just to ignore it all and sign up with All American Direct for distant networks? I checked on their website and we qualify for all 4 major networks (Wyoming address) for a package price of 10.99 per month. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill
[email protected]

Bill, If you fax or mail a copy of your RV registration to American Direct you can sign up for both coast coverage.  I pay $14.17 per month for both New York and San Francisco networks by paying $85 for 6 months.  You can also have them bill you by the month for a $14.99 charge.  I receive all four networks with SD service.  With American Direct and Dish Network you can still sign up for both coast service, unlike DirecTV Network.

Gary and Bill & Wanda,

Thanks for your comments. What I really wonder is, "How can DISH advertise that distant networks are coming soon"? Again, back in 2006, the court order that shut them down was, I thought, supposed to be permanent. Are they really going to be able to get that reversed? Or is this just another example of the dirty dealing by DISH - playing fast and loose with the facts?

Bill
arcticfox2005
[email protected]

I started hearing about 6 months ago that DISH was working again on getting the distant networks back.  For us, it would be great as we would have New York and LA which I would prefer over Atlanta and SF.  Plus it was cheaper doing everything with DISH and if you got a new receiver, etc it would all be up and running with one phone call instead of 2.  I for one hope it isn't just a rumor!!  Diana

As I understand it, the"Pay As You Go" service is from a Dish distributor and not Dish itself. The distributor  is packaging a service that Dish itself did not want to offer, i.e. no contract, month by month.  I suspect the distributor (their website is http://www.dishformyrv.com/)  hopes to bundle in DNS in his offering, but that doesn't mean the DNS will come from Dish itself.

My understanding is that the loss of Dish DNS privileges is permanent as well and I have not heard any talk of removing it. However, the FCC ordained that by a simple vote of their board of governors and could just as easily vote to lift the ban.

First: It was not the FCC that blocked Dish it was a federal Judge

I have heard that Dish has managed to get the injunction lifted,, Seems they reached some kind of agreement with someone that satisfied the judge.  Either that or the FCC changed the rules.. That they could do (And have many times)

But the info I"m getting is good for dish.. let me research a bit and finish this post.

Well, this "Thread" talks about it,, I saw a direct link to the forms on the DISH site in another forum but can not find it now.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/256101-dish-network-launches-distant-networks.html

My understanding is that the loss of Dish DNS privileges is permanent as well and I have not heard any talk of removing it.

Yes, DNS services are back at Dish. Their RV Declaration department has given preliminary approval of my paperwork, and as soon as final approval is given by the networks, my receiver will be hit with the codes to get the service activated. They are telling me 10-14 days from now.

There will be LA and NY feeds, both SD and HD. The channel numbers are up in the 4-digit range in the guide.

I have talked on the phone to one of the reps in the RV Declaration department, and he told me they are going very slow and making sure they follow all the rules in order to avoid a repeat of what happened in 2006. He said that the feds are auditing them on a regular basis.

arcticfox2005 said:
There will be LA and NY feeds, both SD and HD. The channel numbers are up in the 4-digit range in the guide.

What's the cost? I'm paying $14.99 right now for SF and NY thru the separate company.

What's the cost? I'm paying $14.99 right now for SF and NY thru the separate company.

The way I understand it, there is no additional cost. My account is under the Pay-As-You-Go program and I pay $44.99/mo for America's Top 120.

I also paid a one time fee of $99 for "Free HD for Life" and a one-time fee of $42 to activate an external hard drive so that the receiver will function as a DVR. Used it on one trip so far, and it works great. If you go this route, do your research on the external hard drive, because there is a lower limit and an upper limit on the size of the hard drive (I used 500GB) or else the receiver will not recognize it.

Also, there was a minor snag on my account the first time I let the receiver go into suspension and then reactivated it on-line by making a credit card payment. The reactivation happened, but I lost my local networks and also the HD functionality. I had to call in and the problem was fixed. From now on, I will reactivate by phone and remind the rep that I should have local networks and HD.

We are also in hurry up and wait mode. Recently sent in the copy of the registration and the numbers they require. It will cost $5.00 for LA & NY feeds.

As a word of caution, friends of ours bought their receiver on Ebay for less money and had problems getting it activated because they didn't pourchase it through an authorized dealer. They wanted an astronomical activation fee. They are still arguing it out.

Born2Travel said:
We are also in hurry up and wait mode. Recently sent in the copy of the registration and the numbers they require. It will cost $5.00 for LA & NY feeds.

As a word of caution, friends of ours bought their receiver on Ebay for less money and had problems getting it activated because they didn't pourchase it through an authorized dealer. They wanted an astronomical activation fee. They are still arguing it out.

Could be more than one reason for a so called "activation fee" -
1.  There was still a balance due on a bill owed by the prior owner.  The billing can be tied to the receiver and card id.
2.  A leased unit that the prior lessee failed to return to Dish Network (also tied to the receiver ID and card ID).

If it was either of these, then the balance due (i.e. the bill due, or the actual cost of the receiver when it was new, no depreciation) must be paid before Dish will activate the unit.

Ralph

We've been using My Distant Networks with our Dish service for several years...

They use channels 241-248 for NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX networks - SF and NY with SD signals...HD signals are available for an additional cost, but I believe they then use LA and CHI for the stations...

NOTE: we've found that if we don't power up the Sat receiver every couple of weeks when our rig is parked, the signal goes 'stale' and we have to call them up to reactivate the receiver...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom