Do I need a 2nd A/c unit in 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n880ep

We are about to pick up a Weekend Warrior SL3005 5th wheel.  It comes with only a 13.5k btu a/c unit in the center of the unit.  I live in Florida.  Am I going to be upset if I don't order a 2nd a/c unit for the 5er?  Thanks for your help.  Also, I have 30 amp svc in the trailer, will it run 2 a/c units concurrently?

Many units that size and smaller have a 15000BT.  If it were me and in Florida I'd want at least two 13500 BT  cuz I like it cold.  JMO

To run 2 A/C units on 30A will require a load management system or some additional wiring to power the 2nd unit from a different power source.  You can't run them both on the same 30A circuit at the same time.  Whether you need a 2nd unit depends on how well insulated the trailer is, does it have dual pane windows, window awnings, and will you be parked in sun or shade.  If it's not preconfigured for a 2nd A/C unit, the installation could be costly.

Some companies do offer a 2nd as an option when special ordering an RV

The insulation is supposed to be good on the Warrior.  We did not have the ability to order a 2nd unit.  It's at the dealer now, we pick it up on Thursday.

n880ep said:
The insulation is supposed to be good on the Warrior.  We did not have the ability to order a 2nd unit.  It's at the dealer now, we pick it up on Thursday.

Looking at the mfr specs for the 2008 model, there is no option for a second A/C unit and thus I strongly suspect no provision for its installation.  I fear that what you are getting is what you are going to get.  Installing a second unit would be a black hole for money if possible at all.  Wait and see.  Trailers are pretty well insulated boxes and the judicious siting of the trailer and use of awning should get you along fairly well even in the heat of FL.

We have a 34 ft Montana 5th wheel and when we bought it we had it braced and wired so we could add a second AC unit if necessary.  We've used the trailer in 95 degree temperatures and the single unit has kept us very comfortable. I don't foresee ever adding the second unit.

Thank you everyone for your input.  I think we will wait and see, and buy a fan.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom