Do I need a plan change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud Puppy

I am planning to leave northern AZ to go to Hillsboro OR the first week in April. Not sure what route I will be taking but I don't think the weather will be a big problem. My concern is I need to be in Rapid City SD the end of April. The most direct route would be through Washington into northern Montana I90. I have gone that route in December without the TT and know there are some pretty steep downgrades. My concern would be the snow and pulling the TT on these steep grades. Am I crazy to do this in mid April?
I also looked at going farther south and taking I84 then into northern Utah and maybe I80, but it seems like a really long way to get to SD. Thanks for any suggestions. Cathy

Not sure what route I will be taking but I don't think the weather will be a big problem.

We've been in snow in western Utah on I-70 in May so I wouldn't bet on the weather, especially this year which has been so crazy.  I-80 at least is very well traveled and even though it has some pretty high elevations (around 7,000') the grades are gradual.  In any case, you're going to need to watch the weather.  Do you have weather channels on a CB or a weather radio?  That might help.  Good luck and safe trip!

ArdraF

Spring snow should have melted by late morning on I-90, Late fall/early winter can be dicey.

I-90 is very well maintained and should be good.  Watch the weather and make use of highway information,511 works great for  this.  The on I-90, first pass going east after you take I-84 to 395 to I90 is Fourth of July in ID.  It is not bad but watch your speed as the curves are tight.    The next one is between Kellogg Id and Haugan MT.  It Is steep, long and the down hill winds in the mountains.  again, watch your speed.

Haugan is home to 10,000Silver dollar bar and has a reasonable caf?, we usually stop for lunch there.  They also have free parking out back with electric only.  It is nothing fancy but is quiet and safe, did I mention Free!

The next pass is just east of Butte, about 7 miles up on a steep pull and a long winding descent, again watch your speed.  Much of the down side is limited to 25mph for vehicles over 25K#.  Shortly after Whitehall is another hill, it is not a pass per se but it might as well be as it is steep and slow with a long downhill but not very winding. 

As you get to the bottom, there is a truck stop on the right and an excellent bakery and sandwich shop to the left, Wheat Montana.

The next and last pass is just east of Bozeman.  The approach is through a winding canyon, not difficult but watch you speed - not difficult as you are going uphill most of the time.  Just east of the canyon is a place to view bears, $$.  Then there is a short steep uphill pull, a mile or so and then about 12 or so mostly downhill to Livingston.  The Bozeman pass is just over 6000" and Livingston is about 4500".

That is the last pass but there are still some significant hills, one east of Columbus MT and a couple more east of Billings.

We have only been delayed once due to snow while traveling I-90 and have done it in all seasons.  This was before the 511 implementation.  Now Iwould only expect delays during a storm or immediately after before they got it cleaned up.

Stop and say hello as we should still be here as the Dr will not release me till sometime in May.
Have a good trip.

Jim -- You seem to know I-90 well.  We will be traveling it this summer with our Honda in tow (in late June) from Bellingham, WA to Yellowstone.  Would you happen to have an idea of the extremes of the grades on the downward stretches?  For example, 6%?  8%?  We are somewhat new to RV'ing and yet to travel long, steep downgrades steeper than 6%; thus feeling a bit concerned with all those grades you describe. 

Here to give a helping hand for Idaho highways...
http://511.idaho.gov/

You can see all the grades and road cameras to know which way you want to go.
http://lb.511.idaho.gov/idlb/cameras/camera.jsf?id=76&view=state&text=m&textOnly=false

Like right now the highway is clear and dry on I90.

I use this quite a bit to plan my travels around the state since most of the supplies for home require you to drive to Lewiston, ID or to Boise, ID so during the winter you want to see what the highway are like... Just check the highway cameras.

Chi-Travels said:
Jim -- You seem to know I-90 well.  We will be traveling it this summer with our Honda in tow (in late June) from Bellingham, WA to Yellowstone.  Would you happen to have an idea of the extremes of the grades on the downward stretches?  For example, 6%?  8%?  We are somewhat new to RV'ing and yet to travel long, steep downgrades steeper than 6%; thus feeling a bit concerned with all those grades you describe.

Chi,

With family in Portland and Oly, we make frequent trips on I-90 so am familiar with it.  I do not remember the actual % of the various passes but if you are familiar with and tow over Snoqualmie, that is about as bad as it gets.  Each have a unique feature, most I have already mentioned.

BTW, I did not mention the area around Vantage as that is west of the 395 junction.  The downgrade and the upgrade there are as bad as it gets!

Thanks Jim & Pat for all the info. It was the 4Th of July pass that sticks in my mind. And the invite to stop to say HI. Thanks to Michael for the link to the hwy cams. I90 looks really dry right now and not as much snow as I had expected. Mid April hopefully will be as good. I checked the weather forcast, and they are saying it should be warmer than normal, so that sounds good also. Cathy

Heck for where I'm at right now its dry and 67*F for weather. Snow?!?! You'll have to travel well above 5,000 foot elevation to find snow. Even it if blast one last snow storm it would not amount to much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macamiguin
Back
Top Bottom