Do I need a Wingard over the air antenna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim and di

Now that we are spending 6 months in a stick house and 6 months in the RV we selected Direct TV for both places. I have not installed the dish in the RV as its in Mass. and I am in SC. So spring is my target. My question is Can I disconnect the antenna and just use the dish or do you folks find that you need both?
I do anticipate trees being a problem and still need advice in a dish on the roof and a portable that can be located in clear sky.
We are not big TV folks just news and a few shows Di likes, of course I got Direct for Sunday ticket and the Pats, so maybe I am a TV person.
Jim

We have DirecTV (DTV) and also really like our Wingard through-the-air TV antenna too.  We use it when trees block the DTV or when we want local TV.  Several times the local TV was very nice to have when bad storms or tornado warnings were being broadcast for the area in which we were camping.  We think it's worth having both.

JerryF

Hi,
For on the roof antenna, the Winegard Travel'ler gets my vote. It took me about 3 hrs. to install and worked when I turned on the switch. YMMV. Note that it also will rx HD if desired.
Ernie

Do you NEED an over the air TV antenna... NO.. HOWEVER

DirecTV's current receivers have built in ATSC receivers so even if you have older TV's they will convert the new Digital for you so your TV can display.

Second... In the old days you had NBC, CBS, ABC, CW, UPN, PBS and perhaps one or two independents.  Cable and Sat carried all save perhaps one indpendent.

But with the new Digital system, you have tear 1,2,3 on many stations, I've seen up to tear six (This station actually broadcast on two frequencies, 3 tiers on each) and if you are lucky Sat and Cable carry the top tear, and not always.

So if you want to watch some great OLD TIME TV on THIS network, or RTN.. With Satellite you are basilly LOS (low on signal) cause Direc, Dish and your local cable simply don't carry them

But I enjoy watching them via the OTA antenna every day.

We are big tv fans and very selective in what we watch.  I have Directv HD with DVR and DNS service but would not be without my OTA antenna.  Like getting local shows especially public access and weather.  BTW you can still watch recorded shows on your DVR even when you can't receive a satellite signal.  You shouldn't have any problem viewing the Pat's for the rest of this year as they cinched a playoff berth.  Go Pats Go Brady!

Depends on where you plan to travel to and if the local stations are important.  Example i believe in the Yuma, Az area Direct tv does not have local station coverage.  So if you want the local news you need the Wingard OTA. 

OK, you have made a strong argument, I will keep the OTA and a TV. If I had just directv I was going to eliminate a front TV and install a HD projector and a pull down screen. I have not given up on that just will keep the TV and the OTA antenna.
Thanks for the good advice,
Jim

Personally in all my years of Rving I have never used the roof top TV antenna.  I really consider it a useless piece of junk.  And if I could figure out how to patch the roof it would be gone.

Our first coach only had the old reliable Winegard crank up so we only  watched local TV for 60,0 00 miles. This coach came with both a Winegard and a Kingdome so I signed up for DirecTV, which became our primary source of TV. I recently replaced our old CRT analog TV with a larger HDTV. I also added the "signal booster" Winegard to the crank up antenna. I just finished watching da' Bears take care of the Jets as a warm up for beating the Packers next week (sorry Ned) on the Winegard. I get the local channels in HD, which I don't have with DirecTV, and the picture was better than watching the Cardinals beat the Cowboys last nite on satellite. I could get HDTV for network and local channels and watch most of the other channels I get on DirecTV off the internet. If I had an unlimited 3G/4G cellular setup, I'd drop DirecTV all together.

Ernie n Tara said:
Hi,
For on the roof antenna, the Winegard Travel'ler gets my vote. It took me about 3 hrs. to install and worked when I turned on the switch. YMMV. Note that it also will rx HD if desired.
Ernie

I'm gonna second the Winegard Traveler. It takes the work and frustration out of setting up the sat dish with a press of a button. Does all its searching and peaking on its own. I tried the one you set up independently of the RV and ran cable. It was a hassle to carry, set up and aim. And as soon as you got it set up the wind came along and blew it down.

We use our rooftop antenna fairly often, either instead of the satellite dome or in addition to it for local reception.  We tend to like sites with trees that may block the satellite signal, so an OTA antenna is plus for us.

I'd guess that we use our rooftop antenna on every trip, whether for local weather or because trees block the satellite.  Wouldn't be without it!

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom