Do Not Do As I Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pilothawk

I am a Newby who have checked off the mistake blocks one by one.  Some lessons prove to be more expensive than others.

My biggest mistake was in purchasing a large trailer in the belief my family would wish to participate.  Wrong.  Really wrong.  So, it ends up just me and two big dogs in a triple slide Jayco that measures 38 feet to the rear bumper.  Dogs are no help backing that beast in. 

So...if I find a buyer, I?m gonna buy a class A or C.  30-32 feet is my sweet spot.

I?m thinking that a motor scooter might be OK behind a driveable.  Not a Harley...but a Honda or Suzuki so  I can see the sights and procure food etc.  At 72, my balance is not what it once was, but I?m told the cg on scooters is lower making them easier to ride. 

Anyone use a scooter rather than a toad?  Thanks in advance for your opinion.

You will still benefit from a 4 wheeled vehicle,, jeep or such,, so you can transport the dogs when needed. (Particularly in bad weather). The dogs will require more outdoor time than you realize.>>>Dan

When we went thru the Oregon coast I used a 150cc scooter,
I used one of those carriers that went on the hitch.
It was easy to load and used it to explore and get beer.
If you are alone and don't want to pull a car ita doable.
I used the 150cc as it can get up to 50mph on mine.
If you are going to use a scooter buy the better brands like kymco, Honda, Sym. Or you will be tinkering with it and get a 250cc so if you have to get on a freeway occasionally
It may keep up w traffic and stay below 450lbs...most carriers are rated at 500lbs ...
But now I'm setting up to tow a Jeep...Wife and dogs now wants to go where I go.

I wouldn?t have a vehicle I couldn?t transport our dogs in.  Just like people they require medical attention at inconvenient times.

Something like a Honda Fit might work depending upon the size of your dogs.  Ours add up to about 130 pounds and probably wouldn?t fit in a Fit.

Being able to put friends in the back seat is a plus too.

The cheapest solution is just keep what you have, you and the dogs enjoy the room, and learn to back that baby in!  ;)

I'm on my own in a 37 footer. I put a rear view camera on it, and you learn to not be shy about getting out and checking multiple times. You can make it work.

Hi Pilothawk,

I would plan out a camping trip (maybe resort) that had lots of things to do that you know your family likes and ask them to do just one trip with you. Tell them if they don't like the one trip they don't have to go on another. I'd plan some easy meals but really great meals. I'd make sure to have some activities planned. Don't travel far but to a more or less local place. Then see what happens. Best and good luck.

Did you buy without input from the family?  Are they even willing to try it?

Yes,find a great chance with something they like.  Pool,water park, beach.  Maybe a themed weekend that sounds interesting.  What ages are we talking about?  Did you get a reason for the objections? 

Good luck

I am 72.

My sister says she will go.  She wants to but her husband plans to sit on his recliner until the undertaker arrives.  He will do nothing.

My great nieces love the camper....but they are involved in dance, soccer, swim team, etc.  no way their mom will carve out time to visit uncle dave....just not gonna happen.  I love the big camper...but the size makes maneuvering difficult, not to mention the difficulty finding sites. 

Back
Top Bottom