Do people leave their dogs in a motor home while traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No smoke in a CG?  So you tell people to put out their campfires?  I guess CGs should have a smoke-free section.

Really,I'm sorry about your health problems.  I don't understand going to places that are expected to be smoky.

Rene T said:
I'd say you may be part of the problem. You should have contacted the CG at 0805 if there was a barking dog and the owners were gone for the day. You don't have to put up with it.  If the CG isn't aware of it, they can't fix it. The dog owner will continue to get away with it if no one says anything. If the CG turns a blind eye, then don't go back. It only takes one irresponsible camper with out of control pet to make the responsible pet owners take the heat.

Someone else’s dogs are yappin and I’m part of the problem. Respectfully disagree. I do let hosts and rangers know but seldom see anything done.

NY_Dutch said:
Nothing to forgive, you spoke your opinion, I spoke mine. My dog was well trained to not bark under normal circumstances, and since the RV was her home, staying in it alone for a few hours was quite normal for her. We've also been parked next to barkers from time to time, and as Rene suggests, we didn't hesitate to refer the problem to the park management. I have seen guests asked to leave a park due to too many barking complaints. It still remains though, that every time I asked a park management about the "unattended" rule, they said it only applied to pets left outside. That would be similar to the "No alcohol" rules at some parks that also only apply to outside use, not what you do inside your RV. It's all good...

You are a class act. Thank you.

FenderP said:
Someone else?s dogs are yappin and I?m part of the problem. Respectfully disagree. I do let hosts and rangers know but seldom see anything done.

What I meant that you may be part of the problem is if you just sit back and say nothing, the culprits just continue to leave their dogs. I see that you now say that you have notified the proper hosts and nothing gets done. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Elevate it higher if you can.

Pugapooh said:
No smoke in a CG?  So you tell people to put out their campfires?  I guess CGs should have a smoke-free section.

Really,I'm sorry about your health problems.  I don't understand going to places that are expected to be smoky.
Well there is a campfire and there is a smoky campfire.  So I guess I am not supposed to use campgrounds any longer because I have COPD and use oxygen to insure good breathing.  Maybe you are right - CGs should have a smoke free section but I have seen a lot that don't even have a fire pit or if they do they require you to buy the wood from them so you don't bring in any unwanted pests.  Do you like to sit in smoke filled restaurants or other places that allow smoking?  Most no longer allow it.  As I explained, I have never had anyone not comply when I asked them to either move to another site of at least somewhere the wind does not blow into my coach.  To be clean I am speaking of campfires that are either next door or very close to our location.  It has not been a major problem thus far and I hope it never is.

Bill

Guns, religion, politics, and now pets. Really?
Why do y'all feel the need to argue amongst yourselves on a RV Forum when there is 0% chance you will sway someone else's beliefs? You are going to do what you do anyway.
4 IPAs in. Thanks for listening. ;)

Disclaimer: this post was not directed to a specific member of this forum. General broadcast.

Alpena Jeff said:
Ok. Shut this baby down. Time for bed.  8)

Kinda early for bed.  You must be back on the East side.  Still pretty light here and I'm just waiting for a segue to get my cats into the discussion.  ;D

garyb1st said:
Kinda early for bed.  You must be back on the East side.  Still pretty light here and I'm just waiting for a segue to get my cats into the discussion.  ;D
Still here barely. Yup, eastern time. If you like your water unsalted we are surrounded by it here in Michigan.
Boat, water, sun, 94 degrees....long day. I gotta wake up early and do nothin. My tomorrow is planned!

garyb1st said:

Just control your cats so they don't keep everyone awake with their barking...and it's all good!  :p

garyb1st said:
I'm just waiting for a segue to get my cats into the discussion.  ;D
Here?s a segue.How do you answer the question ?Do you have pets?? If it is in person, I say Yes, I have a cat.? If it is online, I answer ?No? or they try to put me close to the dog park. My cat actually does love dogs (though she doesn?t like other cats even after living with them for 10 years), but she gets enough excitement seeing the birds out the window. As to the original question, yes, she stays in the motorhome now with an automatic generator in case the power fails. When we had a trailer, she stayed in it whenever we were connected to electricity in warm weather. Cold weather I never worried about since she could handle much colder weather than we were comfortable in. When we traveled between campsites, she stayed in the truck, but we never left her in heat.

Rene T said:
What I meant that you may be part of the problem is if you just sit back and say nothing, the culprits just continue to leave their dogs. I see that you now say that you have notified the proper hosts and nothing gets done. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Elevate it higher if you can.

:)) :)) :))

UTTransplant said:
Here?s a segue.How do you answer the question ?Do you have pets?? If it is in person, I say Yes, I have a cat.? If it is online, I answer ?No? or they try to put me close to the dog park. My cat actually does love dogs (though she doesn?t like other cats even after living with them for 10 years), but she gets enough excitement seeing the birds out the window. As to the original question, yes, she stays in the motorhome now with an automatic generator in case the power fails. When we had a trailer, she stayed in it whenever we were connected to electricity in warm weather. Cold weather I never worried about since she could handle much colder weather than we were comfortable in. When we traveled between campsites, she stayed in the truck, but we never left her in heat.

I answer truthfully that I have an indoor cat that refuses to leave the motorhome.
Never had a problem, and have never incurred a "pet charge".

We haven't tried the dogs on a trip, yet, but that's coming. We have a 31' 5W, and two possible riders; a miniature Dachshund, and a chocolate Lab, both fixed females. We're pretty sure the little one won't be an issue; she usually only barks when someone knocks on the door, and she has no separation anxiety. The bigger one is more the question; she will bark when outside at people going by the house, but inside she's pretty relaxed, also mostly just responding to the door. Our other antsy Lab mix will stay with Grandma, who spoils her rotten.

If we do indeed take the Lab, we will have to make more time for her walks, since she won't have the backyard to play in...

Great park extremely convenient to one of my daughters.  Only problem, they don't allow pets.  Our indoor cats still preclude us from using the campground.  Huge disappointment since the only other campground that we were thinking might work is being bulldozed to make way for an apartment complex.

The only time we were denied entrance was in the State of New York.  We didn't have vaccination papers.  Always remember to carry those.  Most parks won't ask and even when crossing borders we've never been asked.  But do yourself a favor if you have a pet.  Have the necessary paperwork before you head out. 

I don't know how common it is to have to show your dog's rabies certificate, but in the 16 years our dog traveled with us, visiting at least a couple of hundred state, national, and private RV parks, plus numerous Canadian border crossings, we never had to show them to anyone. We were asked if we had them several times over the years, but when we said we did, no one asked to actually see them...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom