Do Solar Panels Create Energy from Fluorescent Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troyi

Living in Las Vegas, we keep our coach in shaded storage.  We are looking at putting solar panels on the roof to help keep the batteries charged while stored.  Will the panels get enough light from the overhead florescent lights to keep the batteries charged?  Thanks for your input.

Don't think so, just not the same as good old sunlight
I could be wrong though

troyi said:
Will the panels get enough light from the overhead florescent lights to keep the batteries charged?  Thanks for your input.

The amount light energy coming from any sort of light is far less than the light energy coming from the sun on a sunny day.  Our brains compensate and we don't realize there's that much of a difference in intensity.

robertusa123 said:
If you have power for the light.  Why don't you just plug in a trickle charger

Because it is at a storage facility.  While there are lights, there are no plugs.  Thus far, I have been unable to find a storage facility that offers electricity.  We cannot store it at home.

docj said:
The amount light energy coming from any sort of light is far less than the light energy coming from the sun on a sunny day.  Our brains compensate and we don't realize there's that much of a difference in intensity.

Thanks.  What about while in the shade, do the panels work or do they need direct light?  I realize that direct light would be far better.

Solar panels really need full sun. Most of them don't produce much, if any, power if there is just one small but distinct shadow across one part of the panel. But if there is general sun but just weak because of haziness or whatever, you will get some, perhaps much reduced, power. There is also a reduction in power if the sun is at an angle rather than directly overhead, and the greater the angle the greater the reduction.

They can make solar panels that function under fluorescent light, though I would be hard-pressed to point out where you could buy one for your RV. Not much market demand for one, I guess. But they make small ones for use in those hand-held calculators people used in offices some years ago. The panels you buy for sunlight don't do much with artificial lighting.

Gary, you are always a great source of information.  As always, thank you for your input.

The friend who purchased our old motor home put 4 solar panels on it and claimed that he could keep the batteries charged when traveling by parking right next to a light pole at a Walmart. The controller would show +4 amps all night long.

I have given a lot of thought to the need for a trickle charge while in storage, and have considered installing a solar panel as mine is parked outside without power.
So far I have installed battery disconnect switches on both batteries.
While I hope to be using the MH every month or so, I realize that there will be times when that won't be possible......
But I realize that I really need to be running the unit and exercizing the genny fairly often anyway, so i figure with the disconnect to eleminate all drains except for self discharge a short drive and genny run every 4-6 weeks or so should suffice..... I hope.... (I am so over replacing batteries because of neglect alone).
I may still do a solar install someday though, but will more likely go for something a bit larger tahn a basic trickle maintainer.

I think that if I were going to have to park it for a really long time, like maybe more than 6 months without use..... I might consider just bringing the batteries home and place on a trickle charge in the garage.... but thats just me...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom