Do the Ford F53 Headlight Switch Illuminate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregg

I have a 2004 Ford F53 Chassis and was wondering if the headlight switch normally illuminates?  If so, is the bulb replaceable?  Other dash lights work fine, just have the dash out right now and if repairable now is the time. 

What's up with that? The headlight switch on my 2003 Workhorse P32 doesn't light up either... :mad:

Seems like those SHOULD be illuminated when the lights are turned on...

Guess I will just chalk it up to another one of those things that just seemed logical from a user end of things.  Did not see any bulb access without disassembling the switch so thought I would ask before I tried.  With 11 year old plastic and my luck, at least one tab would snap off and end up needing to replace the whole switch. 

You can flick the high beams on and see if the indicator light comes on, which should tell you if they are on.

For me, having driven trucks for years, I prefer to be able to turn the headlights on/off when being passed by trucks as a signal that they're clear to move back into my lane. Not being able to easily see the headlight switch in the dark makes it slightly more difficult...and I usually just flash my high beams instead. (something that's illegal in many states) Sure...I could just let the other driver figure it out on his own...but it's a simple courtesy that has been ingrained into me...I do it in passenger vehicles, I've always done it in RV's as well as trucks and cranes.

I do the same thing to clear trucks back in to my lane, but I guess I'm just familiar enough with switch location that I don't need to look before reaching for it. You could probably add a small LED tied into the existing dash lights to make it easier to locate.

It's not flashing if you're clothed while doing it!

Turn on high beams during the pass, dim them when there is clearance to get in front of you.

Bill

If you remove the switch there is a spot for a bulb in it.I installed in mine and works great. I think it has a place for 2.

Saw the socket for one, but that did not seem to illuminate anything.  Had a small flashlight which I used to test.  Was the other socket area inside the switch mechanism because I did not see anything easily accessible from the back of the switch.  Too late now, put everything back together but may help someone else or the next time I have the dash apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhoehn02
Back
Top Bottom