Do you cover your rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thinkerbell

Greetings and salutations, fellow rv lovies!

I have a question about rv covers (I did a search before asking and didn't really find anything). Do you guys cover your rvs for protection? Is it worth it? What covers are the best? Do you get what you pay for, or are the Wal-Mart covers really as good as the more expensive ones from Camping World and other RV cover manufacturers?

Personally, I wouldn't use a soft (slip over) cover. It won't take long for any dirt/dust to permeate through the cover and, when the wind blows, the flapping cover will beat the dirt/dust into/across the surface of the RV. An RV garage or covered storage is a different issue and something I'd love to have.

We have never used a cover on our RV.  I have seen more damage that resulted from the cover than ever occurs from exposure to the elements.  If you feel you must cover yourRV have a large carport type structure built for it that way the cover will not rub against the finish.

We've never used a fabric cover.  We talked about it and decided the flapping would probably cause too much pain damage.  Anything that rubs against paint will do more harm than good.

ArdraF

We purchased a Tyvek cover from a camping store shortly after we purchased our Windsport.  We are in central Florida and the sun is tough on the finish.  We poured a concrete pad and I keep the cover on 90% of the time.  The cover has straps although it does move and flaps in the wind.  We are out once a month so the cover is not on for months at a time.  Our cover is about 1 year and half old and shows aging.  It has taken the brunt of rain and sun.  My big beef on the cover is putting it on.  I pull it up from the back on to the roof and then adjust accordingly.  I plan on continuing the use of the cover.  Maybe a shed one day...

Granted, my RV-MH is already 10 years old and wouldn't benefit too much from a "cover" at this time, but I may reconsider if I had a newer $200K+ MH.  In North Carolina with it's high humidity, my feeling is that it would cause more harm than good to cover the coach.  Mold and mildew are constantly attacking the coach, inside and out.  I have developed a ritual that works for me between trips and covering the coach would only make more work and prolonged cleaning sessions before I could get on the road again.   

Every rig that I know of that the owners used a cover has damage to the finish in several places.  One guy didn't even know he had damage till we pointed it out to him.  You might say he wasn't a happy camper.

Thank you for your feedback!!! I love you guys!

So, we're going to pour a slab, but there's no real place to put any kind of a cover/awning (it's in the sideyard).

Is it ok, then, just to take REALLY good care of the top and seams and leave Maynard uncovered (I live in Colorado)?

Ours set in ILL for a few years and now in AZ  and we Never use a cover.  Had a shed in ILL but seldom used it.  Figured if it couldn't take the weather tore, how would it take it being used?  So I left it O/S.  Worked for me.

How do you other northern folks ( I live in Wisconsin) deal with the snow and ice that will accumulate on top of the RV. Also the sun fade to the interior? At times we get upwards of a foot of snow at a time. My concern is when the weather warms up enough to start melting the snow and the water will work into the small cracks and crevice then it will freeze opening them up further and eventually causing a leak.

We did have to different Bounders that we had parked in Vermont during the winter months and never had a problem. It was in Vermont that a guy was telling me just how important it was to get a cover for the RV.  Come spring our Bounder looked just great while his Newer Southwind had several rub spots which were caused by the cover.  I might add that we had the RV/s park at a dealer and the dealer had strongly recommended to this guy that the cover was not a good idea.  Oh he never covered his RV again that I am aware of.  We have since learned how to avoid the cold snowy weather. ;D

Ron,

Thanks, I had a pop-up for several years before getting our class C and never had any problems with snow/ice ontop. They have very few items on top that would cause a leak, just a vent and A/C, unlike a Class C.

robfogle said:
Ron,

Thanks, I had a pop-up for several years before getting our class C and never had any problems with snow/ice ontop. They have very few items on top that would cause a leak, just a vent and A/C, unlike a Class C.

If you are worried about seams leaking use Eternabod to tape over them.

Or you could use Dicor to cover the seams that appear weak.  That's what I just did and the roof is good for another year.  About 6 bucks a tube.

Since my MH is new and the top looks good. All though is usually what you don't see is what gets you. Along time ago (20+ years) I had a smaller class c and one winter it developed a leak and I had problem with wood rot inside of a wall that wasn't noticeable until after severe damage was done. Now mind you that was back when the walls were still wood framed.

I would 2nd not using a cover - if I was in FL or AZ and it was parked in the sun all the time, I might consider it but even then it would have to be a great quality cover otherwise you risk damaging the finish.

A few years ago I had a car in Florida that would be in storage most of the time but I would use it when I was there (was working mostly offsite for a Florida company).  I put a cover on it and it did damage the finish (paint lost some of it's shine in spots).  Also a friend of mine in Florida put a 'car bra' on his car and when he took it off a few months later, he noticed that the paint under the bra had discolored differently than the rest of the car (pretty much stuck with the bra now unless he wants to repaint the hood / front fenders - I think the problem is that when the material gets wet and then dries, the paint gets hot under the 'cover' and depending on how fast the cover dries on different parts of the car, the paint is affected differently.

The roof material of your rig is designed to withstand the elements...without a cover.  Depending on the type, TPO (rubber), aluminum (older coaches), or fiberglass, uncovered units just need a little more inspection and possible maintenance.  Check any dealers lot, there are dozens, or hundreds of units that sit outside for months and sometime over a year and they are just fine. 

I agree with the others on the covers causing rub marks or even flapping and breaking something, although ADCO does make a "sort of" custom fit version that fits better than the conventional tyvek or tarp. 

Fiberglass material is warranted for 10 years and requires very little maintenance.  TPO or rubber needs to be inspected and occassionally mopped with a solution usually sold by Protect All or others. 

The critical factor is make sure snow doesn't sit too long on the roof adding weight, especially around vents and AC units.  Also, as the snow melts and puddles around the AC units, it can refreeze at night, expand and deteriorate the AC gasket sitting between the AC unit and the roof material.  Another concern in the silicone or putty tape, or butyl tape, or whatever sealant the manufacturer used at the roof to sidewall seam, the front cap to roof (VERY IMPORTANT!) and any sealant around vents, skylights, ladders etc.  Just like your home, you always have to check the sealant!

Covered mine 1 year up north, then never again.  We now are in FL, don't cover.  There are folks storing where I live with covers on, or they started that way.  The covers are now shredded.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom