Do you guys always plug in power when your vehicle is at your home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As I see it, you only need it plugged in when preparing to go - to cool the fridge.
I have 2 battery maintainers - 1 for the coach and 1 for the engine battery.
Those I plug in.
I plug the coach in early the night before I'm going to leave (for the fridge).
Of course this means you need to empty the fridge and refill it between trips.
However if it's only a couple of days between trips I plug it in 100% of the time.

We plug in when at home.  I don't believe anyone has mentioned what we call phantom loads.  Things like detectors are always on, perhaps the TV is on standby, etc.  These are all small usage of electricity that accumulate and can run down a battery.  You do need to make sure these small loads are covered.

ArdraF

Rene T said:
What they mean is leave it open a bit just so mold will not start growing inside only while you're not travelling. Also, usually there is a latch mechanism built  into the fridge which will keep it open just a bit.

Oh I see what you mean. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

dcbinvt said:
As I see it, you only need it plugged in when preparing to go - to cool the fridge.
I have 2 battery maintainers - 1 for the coach and 1 for the engine battery.
Those I plug in.
I plug the coach in early the night before I'm going to leave (for the fridge).
Of course this means you need to empty the fridge and refill it between trips.
However if it's only a couple of days between trips I plug it in 100% of the time.

Ok so I need to get 2 battery maintainers? Even if I drive it at least once a week if not more?

ArdraF said:
We plug in when at home.  I don't believe anyone has mentioned what we call phantom loads.  Things like detectors are always on, perhaps the TV is on standby, etc.  These are all small usage of electricity that accumulate and can run down a battery.  You do need to make sure these small loads are covered.

ArdraF

Ok so even if I'm using it at least once a week if not more?

tracyc said:
Todd what do you mean about full hookups? Electrical, Water, and sewage?

Yes! All three (plus, a cable outlet).

We used our RV quite frequently prior our departure into the full-time world. With 'full hook-ups' in the driveway, our turn around time from camping (whether on BLM space or other areas around Arizona) was significantly reduced. In addition, we often had family / friends use our RV as a 'guest house' during extended visits.

If you have a multimeter you can easily check to see if your rig charges both the house and cab batteries when plugged in.  With the rig plugged in, measure the DC volts across the cab (engine) battery and across the house batteries.  If you see 13 volts DC or more they are being charged when the RV is plugged in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom