Do you have a motorcycle with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponton said:
I carry my Goldwing on the back of my 3/4 ton Chevy pulling a 34' trailer. We winter in Florida and wanted more living space and didn't care for the garage in a toy hauler. Ride everyday.

That is my plan, but with a Ford.
I got a screaming deal on a uses Rampage lift last year that I couldn't pass up.
I'm a few years away from retirement, but plan to take a few vacations with this setup.

How do load/unload your Wing?

I'm a first time snow bird traveling from VA to FL at the new year. I have a 26' Winnebago MH and pulled a 12' trailer w my Road Glide in the trailer. I 'm hoping to beat the cold and ride thru the winter, exploring  south FL and wherever I can given the weather. I'm hoping the bike will also serve as my grocery getter as I also don't plan to move the rv if I don't need to, other than say for refilling propane maybe... Anyway, I'm still new to it, but hoping this plan works. 

I looked at using one of those hydraulic lifts that is mounted to the back of the rv to carry the bike, but none of the installers liked it, hence I went with the trailer. Course, now I have to manage the trailer, store it here, etc.  Anxious to hear if others have success with those carriers, esp w a full sized HD.  I also expect a bigger rig is going to be suggested to manage the hitch weight of the lift and bike.

One thing I learned is to either disconnect the battery on the bike, or put the fob with the bike.  On my arrival here, the bike's battery was dead, and I'm presuming it blinked its warning alarm when the bike went over bumps in the trailer until the battery died.  And I know it's a travesty having the HD in a trailer.... I've ridden here to FL and around the country a bunch of other times, tent camping from the bike.  I look at it more like I brought the MH along with me and the bike?.

So, hoping this snow bird gig works out with my bike serving as my errander as well as having it with me to ride in prettier weather.  Best, Chet

Chet said:
I'm a first time snow bird traveling from VA to FL at the new year. I have a 26' Winnebago MH and pulled a 12' trailer w my Road Glide in the trailer. I 'm hoping to beat the cold and ride thru the winter, exploring  south FL and wherever I can given the weather. I'm hoping the bike will also serve as my grocery getter as I also don't plan to move the rv if I don't need to, other than say for refilling propane maybe... Anyway, I'm still new to it, but hoping this plan works. 

I looked at using one of those hydraulic lifts that is mounted to the back of the rv to carry the bike, but none of the installers liked it, hence I went with the trailer. Course, now I have to manage the trailer, store it here, etc.  Anxious to hear if others have success with those carriers, esp w a full sized HD.  I also expect a bigger rig is going to be suggested to manage the hitch weight of the lift and bike.

One thing I learned is to either disconnect the battery on the bike, or put the fob with the bike.  On my arrival here, the bike's battery was dead, and I'm presuming it blinked its warning alarm when the bike went over bumps in the trailer until the battery died.  And I know it's a travesty having the HD in a trailer.... I've ridden here to FL and around the country a bunch of other times, tent camping from the bike.  I look at it more like I brought the MH along with me and the bike?.

So, hoping this snow bird gig works out with my bike serving as my errander as well as having it with me to ride in prettier weather.  Best, Chet

Have you considered a trike and using the MH as the toad?

after a life time love of all things motorcycle....now that I'm retired I would love to have one bike to ride off into the sunset.

I'm having trouble deciding on 'What bike' is the perfect, convenient, RV bike..

Here's my wish list.

1.  above all....light weight (smaller).  no huge trailer queen road bikes. A bike able to be easily loaded on a simple bumper rack.
2.  electric start.  ..many lightweight or smaller bikes are kick only.
3.  capable of highway speed operation (70+ mph).... just in case you really gotta ride somewhere.
4.  a bike low enough for an old man to comfortably swing a leg over and ride.  (no Paris to Dakar BMWs).
5.  dual-sport is a big plus,  I still like to cow trail.

KTM ?  Kawasaki KLR ?

What does everyone else have ?

We leave the Road King home but carry a comfortable 150 cc which is a good option to not have to break camp to go out to eat or pick up basics. We also tow a 19 foot boat. We use a MaxxHaul 70070 Dual Hitch Extension. The bike carrier on top and the ball for the boat below. We'll occasionally rent a car as we have not figured out how to bring all three. I'd consider carrying a sportster but nothing bigger. I'd not bring the boat with a bigger bike. We've been doing this with a C but we're shopping for an A though I doubt it will change my options much.

the rubber mount Sportster is a great fun bike... but loading one up on a bumper rack may be more than I want to do.

Mine's mounted solid as a rock, and rides like a rock too! It's a barrel of fun though. ;D

TonyDtorch said:
the rubber mount Sportster is a great fun bike... but loading one up on a bumper rack may be more than I want to do.

Back in 2010 I bought a new Sporster 48. It about bounced my teeth out of my head and the tank only held about 1.5 gallons. Traded that for. Heritage Softail Classic and took it to the U.K. Sold it over there.

About the same size as the Sporty is the Triumph T100 Bonneville.

I've had several...a fantastic bike but a bit heavy to be rolling up on a bumper rack for me.

I have a Can Am Spyder. I have a heck of a time loading or unloading if the angle of the drop down is wrong on my toy hauler. Need help.

ijon said:
I have a Can Am Spyder. I have a heck of a time loading or unloading if the angle of the drop down is wrong on my toy hauler. Need help.

Need more info to help you.

What Toy Hauler do you have?  What is the length of the ramp?
What is the problem? Is the bike hitting on something?  Where?

Do you have a fold out ramp extension?

ijon.  I have run into the same problem with my wife's STS.  I had a trailer built with a drop axle which shallowed the angle of the ramp. You are going to have to use two pieces of material to drive the two front tires up on to shallow the angle of the drop down. It will probably take some experimenting to get the correct length.  It will all depend on how steep the ramp is and if you can shallow the angle enough to get the two front wheels on the ramp and get the two pieces out of the way so they don't interfere with the bags.  Putting a block under the drop down to raise it a couple of inches off the ground will also help.  Hope you can visualize what i am trying to say.

TonyDtorch said:
after a life time love of all things motorcycle....now that I'm retired I would love to have one bike to ride off into the sunset.

I'm having trouble deciding on 'What bike' is the perfect, convenient, RV bike..

Here's my wish list.

1.  above all....light weight (smaller).  no huge trailer queen road bikes. A bike able to be easily loaded on a simple bumper rack.
2.  electric start.  ..many lightweight or smaller bikes are kick only.
3.  capable of highway speed operation (70+ mph).... just in case you really gotta ride somewhere.
4.  a bike low enough for an old man to comfortably swing a leg over and ride.  (no Paris to Dakar BMWs).
5.  dual-sport is a big plus,  I still like to cow trail.

KTM ?  Kawasaki KLR ?

What does everyone else have ?

The only thing my Yamaha TW200 comes up short on is #3. It can hit 55~65, but it is screaming in 5th gear. I also have to watch the oil level if I ride it than hard for any amount of time.

Other than that I love my cycle. 55 to 70 mpg depending on how hard I ride it (and the quality of gas I buy). With the rear rack and Rubbermade box I can do grocery runs easily.

I liked that TW200 the first time I ever saw one.  Wish it was just a bit more of a road bike.

I still love the old Honda trail 90/110 too, it's very possibly the most utilitarian motorcycle ever made, it'll do 50 all day.

I wish the TW200 had a hi/low transmission like the Honda,    or add another 100 c/c's and an electric start on to the trail 110.

TonyDtorch said:
I liked that TW200 the first time I ever saw one.  Wish it was just a bit more of a road bike.

I still love the old Honda trail 90/110 too, it's very possibly the most utilitarian motorcycle ever made, it'll do 50 all day.

I wish the TW200 had a hi/low transmission like the Honda,    or add another 100 c/c's and an electric start on to the trail 110.

On the TW200 Forums there are a number of owners who have done a top end swap to take it up to 250cc. And a couple of guys have done the transmission upgrade for 6th gear. This makes the cycle a bit more road worthy. Of course with those mods, they have also put a larger fuel tank on it as well.

If I ever get a garage built here at the house with room to have the bike apart for a bit, I'm probably gonna try those upgrades.

I just love having my full dresser when camping ,but it is a pain.
I have to wait for someone to visit and catch a ride home to pick it up then get someone to drive me back to bring it home.
Considered a 1000# power lift  but after checking it out I found that on a gas coach there is a frame cut out for the fuel filler that may weaken the frame. I don't think it would be a good idea to put a 900# bike on the back.
I am skeptical of a trailer because on my last trip someone decided to pass on the right while I was passing a semi and I picked them off when returning to my lane. I need to put a camera on the back so I can keep an eye on the dingbats

Back
Top Bottom