Dodge 5.9L vs. 6.7L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to hear from forum members who have owned and towed with the older 5.9L and the newer 6.7L Cummins.  We currently own a 2006, 2500 that has the 5.9L/48RFE.  Both horsepower and torque really began to increase starting in the 2012 model years.  We've been toying with getting a newer model year truck with some of the high end interior features (heated seats, dual AC, integral exhaust brake, etc.) and, having just purchased a 2015 StarCraft 245DS TT, thinking the extra power would be nice.  But, I'm curious how much difference in tow capability the newer year Dodge Ram trucks really offer?

Those extra bells and whistles sure are tempting. ;D That trailer grosses at 7500 lb, the current truck is more than capable of handling it. You probably won't notice the extra power unless you regularly tow in the Colorado mountains. The exhaust brake sure would be nice but that can be installed for a lot less than the price of a new truck.

Agree with Roy M. There's a lot of sales hype around new versus "old" trucks. Stick with the 5.9 and upgrade whatever you like.

A friend is a Dodge fan and looked around the country specifically for what you have (5.9 ) in a long bed crew cab. He found it and couldn't be happier. He tows large trailers, one of which is a three axle car hauler, another a toy hauler with his hard-core rock crawler and several quads.

DWJoyce said:
Agree with Roy M. There's a lot of sales hype around new versus "old" trucks. Stick with the 5.9 and upgrade whatever you like.

A friend is a Dodge fan and looked around the country specifically for what you have (5.9 ) in a long bed crew cab. He found it and couldn't be happier. He tows large trailers, one of which is a three axle car hauler, another a toy hauler with his hard-core rock crawler and several quads.

Our truck is stock except for the airbags and Prodigy II.  It seemed to tow fine, but it definitely knew the TT was there.  I used the tow/haul mode.  We live in SW Montana and will be doing travels throughout the rocky mountains.  That's why I was thinking the jump in HP and torque (~25%), would be beneficial.  If our current truck was a Laramie, I would be having a more difficult decision.

freestoneangler said:
Our truck is stock except for the airbags and Prodigy II.  It seemed to tow fine, but it definitely knew the TT was there.  I used the tow/haul mode.  We live in SW Montana and will be doing travels throughout the rocky mountains.  That's why I was thinking the jump in HP and torque (~25%), would be beneficial.  If our current truck was a Laramie, I would be having a more difficult decision.

Being from Montana myself, and fully knowing the passes you pull on the west side of the continental divide, a newer truck is leaps and bounds of improvements over the current 06 CTD truck you own. Having a more solid transmission with grade braking, exhaust brake, and overall nicer features.

I'm not a Ram fan, but in the event you want to upgrade, get on some of the forums and check them out. I had two Dodge trucks, a 2nd gen HO and a 04.5 CTD.

COHauler said:
Being from Montana myself, and fully knowing the passes you pull on the west side of the continental divide, a newer truck is leaps and bounds of improvements over the current 06 CTD truck you own. Having a more solid transmission with grade braking, exhaust brake, and overall nicer features.

I'm not a Ram fan, but in the event you want to upgrade, get on some of the forums and check them out. I had two Dodge trucks, a 2nd gen HO and a 04.5 CTD.

I was trying to avoid the Cummins forum as way too much of the discussion is centered on dropping the rear end and installing programmers that can make the 26" tires spin off their rims.  I was hoping to hear more from those who just use these for RV towing and have had both the older and newer year models.

I haven't owned a diesel pick-up for some years now, but I think that CO Hauler summed it up fairly well. The improvements from 2006 to now are many, and not just horsepower. Plus the creature comforts of a new Laramie are undeniable and will quickly spoil you. The only downside is the price tag.  :eek:

We just bought a 2012 ram 3500 so I can not compare the 5.9 to the 6.7, but if you upgrade the 2012 does not need  DEF. one less thing to mess with.

freestoneangler said:
I was trying to avoid the Cummins forum as way too much of the discussion is centered on dropping the rear end and installing programmers that can make the 26" tires spin off their rims.  I was hoping to hear more from those who just use these for RV towing and have had both the older and newer year models.

I would recommend dieselram.com. I used to be a Mod on that site.

Personally, I can't get enough of the new Rams. I would have purchased another one this go around, but my wife would probably divorce me...actually she did say that. Lol

I would go 1 ton for the suspension upgrades, better transmission and I believe the power ratings are higher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom