Dodge EcoDiesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Horsepower is Horsepower, that's funny, and so wrong in this situation. They are so different and not what someone should be lookin at. Horsepower is the measurement of power. Torque is the measurement of ability to work.  I owned a 5.3 gm, and they went to that in the light truck, suv rigs. To make up the difference in the 5.7 ci advantage, they profiled the cam to reach peak numbers at a higher rpm, not a good thing for a tow vehicle. So with the thinking that a 350hp small block gasser will have the same ability to work as a 350hp diesel, horsepower to horsepower right??,,no,,,very wrong. Because that 350hp diesel is going to have around 800+ lbs of torque, no way around it.  When you bypass looking at the torque numbers, transmission gear ratios, ring gear ratios and think just a higher hp rating will deliver the torque needed to pull a RV, your are going to be sadly disappointed, unless your always on flat ground. I have a buddy that bought a Ram eco diesel, he pulls a 6000lb boat from coastal ports in northern Cali to southern Ore. No flat ground there, he gets 14mpg towing. Has not had any issues, loves the truck. Is a ecodiesel, any brand, my preferred choice for a tow vehicle, no, not by a long shot. Most definitely no small block gasser's either. 6000lb is not a lot to pull, and a small block gasser will do it easily, I did it for years with a stock 5.7 and a stock 5.3 gm trucks. Also pulled a 4 horse with a bunkhouse sleeping quarters with a 7.4 gasser one ton, it did it, but I dreaded the grades. Never will go back to gas,,,gregg

Well, here's the update.I did purchase the Ecodiesel. As I said earlier I tow 5-6k per year and I didn't want a 3/4 ton, or bigger, for a daily driver. While I wasn't towing today I got 23 mpg going up to 7000' from 1400'. Over on the Ram1500diesel forum they all extol the virtues of this set up. I really appreciate conversation that has taken place here. My thanks to everyone that contributed. I won't be towing for a couple of months but when I do I will start a thread to share my observations. Again, thanks for the info, it really helped.
RichH

lynnmor said:
Nope, no difference, horsepower is horsepower.  That is why I mentioned that I fully expect to hear the racing comments in a failed effort to head off that aspect.

So,  then a 300 hp Subaru engine should pull a heavy trailer up a hill as well as a 300 hp Cummins does?.......(right.... :p)

YES! Given the correct gearing (probably an impractical setup). The diesel, by my observation yesterday, will shift five or six times between 0 and 40 mph; the Subaru will be doing well over 100 mph in fourth. It's fairly simple math!.

Ernie

I wonder why they ever put those big ol' stinky diesel motors in all the Class A's .... ;)

So, you are saying they could put a 300 hp Subaru 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine in a motorhome..if they had enough gears ?

Then why don't they just use a CVT transmission...  they have an infinite number of gears ? 

My last 54k Freightliner truck had a 300hp Cummins had 10 gears,  and sometimes wished I had more.

In a 1/4 mile race...
'Torque' will determine the time it takes to go that distance.  'Horse Power' will determine the speed you will be going. 

sightseers said:
My last 54k Freightliner truck had a 300hp Cummins had 10 gears,  and sometimes wished I had more.

In a 1/4 race...
'Torque' will determine the time it takes to go that distance.  'Horse Power' will determine the speed you will be going. 

You should have had a higher horsepower Cummins, 300 was not enough.

If only those drag racers would get a clue and run high torque steam engines from the 1800's since time is everything.

Saw a Tesla P100D on YouTube kickin everybody?s booty on the dragstrip. Ran 10.8, 120+. Driver was told if he ran faster than 11.49 he had to wear a fire jacket. Driver said the car didn?t carry any gas.

https://youtu.be/KJuQyYYRoqw

NHRA says if you go faster than 150 mph. you also need to have a parachute on the car.

Back
Top Bottom