Does it hurt a TT to spend its life between a seasonal site and winter storage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OTW

I'm looking at a TT I really like.  Excellent condition (2004).  The owners have mostly used it for a seasonal site they rent every year an hour away from their home, so it's only been on the road 2x/year for an hour each way.  Plus a few other camping trips, but mostly parked either at the seasonal site or at home for winter storage.  Is that a good thing?  Or a bad thing?  I would be hauling it 2x/year probably 1500 miles each way (also seasonal use) but might add more side trips too.  So I'm wondering if I need to worry about longer hauling something that's been pretty babied for 12+ years.  In the world of TTs, it's pretty well built.

Just my opinion, but I would think it would be in much better shape then one that has a lot of miles on it.

Naturally it would need new tires.

Jack L

Check the roof and caulking.  Check for any signs of water leaks.  Look for serious rust.  Service wheel bearings and brakes before use.

For many, maybe even most, things, it makes little or no difference. It was still outside, enduring weather. It was still being used for camping, perhaps even more often than others that only saw occasional weekend use. Things that age, e.g. tires and most anything rubber or vinyl, still die of old age and sun exposure.

The potential upside is the lack of road wear & tear, e.g. the vibration and twisting effect of travel.

Odds are that tires, wheel bearings, and battery(s) got little attention, but that depends on the previous owner's attitude toward such things.

I agree. That twice a year trip keeped the road gear from totally rusting and sezzing up.... I just get the bearings repact and replace the tires

I would be concerned the TT might have some type of emotional issues, spending all summer in a beautiful environment, then being unceremoniously drug to some dingy back yard for the harsh winter!  ;D

Other than that, check tire age, etc as suggested above.

grashley said:
I would be concerned the TT might have some type of emotional issues, spending all summer in a beautiful environment, then being unceremoniously drug to some dingy back yard for the harsh winter!  ;D

Other than that, check tire age, etc as suggested above.

LOL, you da cute dude, Grashley.  What I was actually thinking with the question was... older trailer, sitting all its life except for an hour or so on the road 2x/year (flat unstressed highway trips)... would that allow tank and other seals, etc. to get hardened in place so that if I suddenly subjected it to 1200-1500 mile long trips, that maybe suddenly seals and things would spring leaks and other troubles.  So it was that kind of thing I was wondering about.  ;-) 

would that allow tank and other seals, etc. to get hardened in place so that if I suddenly subjected it to 1200-1500 mile long trips, that maybe suddenly seals and things would spring leaks and other troubles.  So it was that kind of thing I was wondering about.  ;-) 

That is more age-related than mileage. For that sort of thing, I don't think a seasonal trailer is any more at risk than one that traveled a lot.

I will give you two different opinions depending on the type of RV

Motor homes: Not a good thing.. Long list of reasons which have no business in this thead.

Trailer.. With very few exceptions not a bad thing.  Short list of exceptions (things you need to check/fix)

Tires: tires like to be rolling, rolling rolling, keep them wheels turning,  bring the oils out to protect them Tires
They do not like sitting and REALLY don't like Sitting in the sun,  Plan on new tires very soon.

Wheel bearnings,, Re-pack

Brakes, Inspect and check shoes and drums.

Libricate everything that needs lubrication

Check the battery, replace if needed

Make and model of converter.. Some are very good, Some were never good even when sitting in the box on the manufacturer's warehouse. and need to be upgraded.

NOTE. these last two.. APPLY TO ALL RVs, not just a sitting TT.

NOTE two. If you plan on doing what they did,, Consider storage at the RV park instead of your garage.. In many cases you can forget the battery if you do that. (Depends on converter).

I bought my 2008 (in 2015) with very similar history... first owner bought it brand new, and it was used at a single seasonal site each year and stored each winter.  It was in great shape, other than a few interior bumps/bruises from being "used" by a family, and one exterior corner where another trailer had slow-backed into it once (minor damage).  Other than that, I put new tires on it and it's been great.  No issues at all.

Great list of stuff!  Thankie, thankie!
Re the brakes, they haven't been used much.  Do they still need service (or even more so because they haven't?) before I haul it home?
Owner did his own wheel bearings - I'll find out what exactly he means by that, and when last done.
Definitely needs new tires, just due to their age, not tread (no visible weather cracking) but those I'll want to replace, maybe even before hauling it anywhere.

Does the mechanical stuff (wheel bearings, brake check, and lubricate everything, etc.) need to be done by an RV service place or can a regular car mechanic do that stuff just the same?

OTW said:
Re the brakes, they haven't been used much.  Do they still need service (or even more so because they haven't?) before I haul it home?

You just want to be sure they are working correctly.  I'm sure the brakes shoes/drums aren't worn down in any way, but there are magnetic/electronic sensors (that activate the brakes) that would be good to have checked.  Do you have any experience towing?  You can test the function yourself, once hooked up and connected to your tow vehicle's brake controller.  This is a good overview video from Tekonsha (a brand of brake controllers) that explains the adjustment process.  I watch this video at the beginning of every camping season.  ;)

OTW said:
Does the mechanical stuff (wheel bearings, brake check, and lubricate everything, etc.) need to be done by an RV service place or can a regular car mechanic do that stuff just the same?

You'll definitely get one special thing at an RV service place... a higher price!  ::)  In other words, anyplace that routinely works on trailers (of any kind... RV's, boats, horses, racecars, utility, semi's, agriculture) is perfectly capable of working on your travel trailer.  I'd recommend a general auto shop in your area that works on big trucks.  They often get RV's and will almost always be cheaper than an RV dealership service shop.

Scott, thanks very much for those tips!  Yes, I've towed an extended 2H (but all steel) horse trailer across country as well as a big pop-up just upstate, but I do recall the brake controllers being touchy and incessantly confusing.  So I will definitely refresh with the video you linked (yay for youtube, etc.)  And Monday I'll check with the two mechanics I use and see if either of them does big stuff, and if not I suspect one or the other will have a trusted referral.  Great tip, that.

Back
Top Bottom