Does Silicone work on the exterior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bonding issues depends on the silicone type.
However as others have said I would use a fresh tube of rv related sealant made for that purpose.

What is the difference between acetoxy and neutral cure silicone?

*** As acetoxy cure silicones release acetic acid whilst curing they can cause bonding/discoloring problems when used on certain substrates.

When used on natural stone they can cause discolouration, when used on certain metals they can cause corrosion and on bituminous surfaces they can cause "bleeding" of the bitumen.

So when applying sealant to sensitive surfaces we would always recommend using a neutral cure silicone over a acetoxy silicone as they will not react.

Generally acetoxy silicones are used for kitchens, bathrooms and other internal sealing applications as they are more cost effective and faster curing than their neutral curing counterparts.

Whereas neutral cure silicones have better adhesion and weatherproofing properties compared to acetoxy silicones making them the superior option for external applications.***
Wow!! Someone that actually knows silicone. I owned a silicone compounding plant in the 90s. I gave up replying to the silicone comments in here. They use a hardware store silicone that contains 17% petroleum distillates and then post that silicone doesn't work. They're learning that a good (oxime) neutral cure silicone, Henry Tropicool, Is an excellent roof coating. Unfortunately, most neutral cures won't be found at the hardware store. I'm currently running silicone adhesion tests for another industry. I might post it in here because it showes several places to buy neutral cure.

There are only a few types of caulking that works for an exposed bead in the elements long term, or for extended duty. While I rarely defend silicone for most projects because of the known failures when choosing the hardware store cheap stuff and rarely has any adhesive properties ,allowing water to penetrate or work its way under the it, the rv industry has proven that this is really an exception with their brands.

And the sticks and bricks brands are not that well built and going down the road they do work quite a bit. I am surprised that we don't hear more issues of leaks in the added components in the exterior shell, unless they do have some time on them.

While the regular dicor does have a way of grabbing the dirty elements in the air, my observation has been that the beads of silicone repeals it a lot more over a similar time frame.

I've found silicone adhesive is a much higher quality than common silicone caulk. The application cone can create a very small but effective bead that lasts many years.

02719382.jpg

Note that a "silicone blend" sealant/caulk is a much different animal than vanilla silicone. If the label says the silicone sealant is paintable, it's a blend and doesn't have the drawbacks of pure silicone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom