Dometic Fridge not running on LP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

Hello everyone,
needing some help.
In our TT we have a Dometic 2652 fridge.  On/Off, Gas, Check buttons only.  Works great when plugged in, but nothing on Gas.  I've followed the manual and it says to cycle the Auto button so it will try to restart, but nothing happens.  The Check light begins to flash in 30 seconds or so.  Tank is almost half full, all three stove burners work to capacity, hot water tank is perfect.  I read a few previous posts dated 2009 where someone couldn't get it to work on either source and let it sit for an hour or so and then it kicked in.  Ours sat overnight in our attempts but nothing.  I looked behind the fridge and the gas line is set in the on/open position.  Any and all thoughts appreciated !

Not sure what to do next.  all help appreciated.

Do you hear a clicking sound as the DSI igniter tries to light the gas? You may have to remove the outer access door and have somebody cycle the switch while you watch. You should hear several clicks and perhaps see the sparks in the burner. The most common reason for failure to ignite in LP mode is rust or insect nests in the gas feed, but there are other possibilities.

Is the model number RM2652?  This Service Tips manual may help:
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/1252service.pdf

I have the exact same fridge and am having issues as well.

Thanks for that service manual Gary, my issue seems to be with the temperature sensor. 

Mine ran fine up until about a week ago.  Then she started turning off, I leave the RV parked, and when returning the check light was on.  The fridge continued to start up and run for awhile, then turn off when I was away.  2 days ago, the fridge would not start at all.  I took it off of auto mode, and the fridge then started.  Now, the fridge has been running fine on manual mode. 

This fridge seems to be very finicky. 

Gary,
I did exactly what you said, had someone inside while i listened outside - no ticking sound, no sign of flame.  the only sound was a Click when the Check light was illuminated ... 

This may not help - most of my experience is with Really Old evaporative fridges.  But if you have access to it from the outside, open it up.  See if there's a cover panel in there you can remove and look for soot and debris around and below the gas burner.  If you find some, vacuum it out and try the fridge again.

My advise is to find a mobile RV mechanic on Craigslist and have him come out and look at it. I have had very good luck with mobile mechanics. They are cheaper, they come to you and you can watch them do the work.

Thanks to all for the replies.  I was pretty sure it had something to do with the DC supply, so began taking the back of the fridge apart - that's when I saw the issue - The electrical cord was burned.  It burned from the plug right to the connectors.  The green wire separated right before the ground.  How it didn't go on fire I have no idea.  Turns out its on recall from dometic, http://67.238.126.140/recall.php

Reading further it has apparently burned a couple of trailers, one being my next door neighbor who lost his 5th wheel about 4 years ago, turns out it was the same issue.

I am scheduled for the recall work to be done at the local dealer tomorrow.  Thanks for the replies, I'll be glad to have it done before something serious happened ...

The recall only adds a bit of sheet metal around the gas burner along with a thermal cutoff device.

You problems sound more like the 120V AC plug was placed too close to the boiler and melted the insulation. It might be worthwhile relocating the plug further down and routing the new cord closer to the bottom.. This cord is used to supply 110V for the electric heater portion of the fridge and the ice maker (if equipped). If the entire wire was burned up, the electric element may have had a roll in that at one point or the wires were touching  the hot coils.

caper1973 said:
Thanks to all for the replies.  I was pretty sure it had something to do with the DC supply, so began taking the back of the fridge apart - that's when I saw the issue - The electrical cord was burned.  It burned from the plug right to the connectors.  The green wire separated right before the ground.  How it didn't go on fire I have no idea.  Turns out its on recall from dometic, http://67.238.126.140/recall.php

Reading further it has apparently burned a couple of trailers, one being my next door neighbor who lost his 5th wheel about 4 years ago, turns out it was the same issue.

I am scheduled for the recall work to be done at the local dealer tomorrow.  Thanks for the replies, I'll be glad to have it done before something serious happened ...

Caper1973,

Any updates on your fridge?  It turns out that my fridge is affected by the recall, same model as yours.  I just fixed the issue I was having.  I cleaned the main terminals, pulled out the thermo coupler and cleaned it, also cleaned the whole area.  I'm wondering if I should call to have mine serviced.  It seems to be running just fine now. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sptddog
Back
Top Bottom