Dometic refrigerator fins dripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r2sharpe

We bought a 2013 Tiffin Allegro Over the Road in June 2013.  We parked the RV at our fish camp, plugged in the electric, and went back several days later.  We opened the refrigerator for the first time, and there was enough water to soak a towel from the dripping fins.  We have not spent one night in the RV due to weather and our work schedule.  The rest of the time the RV has been at the RV repair place. 

RV repair wanted to blame it on Tiffin for improper insulation.  Later they said we needed a new refrigerator, but Dometic would not agree. 

We did the dollar bill test.  They replaced the sliding lock.  The fins are still leaking.  The RV is still at RV repair. 

I read the comments about the refrigerator dripping.  We have only opened the door of the refrigerator a couple times since we have owned the RV.  Any ideas?

Was the water in the tray?  It's supposed to drain underneath the RV via a hose.  If water is accumulating in the tray, I would suspect the hose is plugged.  It's normal for some water to drain off of the fins, that's why the tray is there.

I will ask my husband if maybe the tube line is stopped up. The RV is still at the repair lot.  Hubby is ready to go to Red Bay, Al where the RV was manufactured.  The RV has been on the repair lot over 44 days. RV Connections stated they have worked with Dometic warranty.  RV Connections rewired the refrigerator.  They removed the refrigerator to check on Tiffin's insulation.  I think it is a bad  Dometic refrigerator.

The Tiffin is a first class motorhome with quality workmanship.  When you spend a lot of money on a new product, you expect everything to work.  A new Camping World opened in the FL panhandle a couple months ago, but they are not allowed to do warranty work on Tiffin's.  I asked them if they could help, but they stated RV Connections has exclusive rights in our city.

RV forums has been a Godsend for those of us that learn as we go.  Thanks for the advice.

Tiffin can authorize anybody they want to do warranty work. RV Connections may have a sales franchise in tha area, but that does not give them exclusive rights to repair Tiffin products. If you would like to try elsewhere, call Tiffin and discuss your problem. You should do that anyway, if you have not done so already. Tiffin is very willing to work with repair shops anywhere in order to make you a satisfied customer. The shop does not have to be a Tiffin dealer as long as Tiffin approves the work in advance.

Dripping fins indicates continual condensation. That usually means an air leak allowing moist air to enter, but it can also happen if foods with a lot of moisture are kept inside, or uncapped beverages. Either one generates a lot of moisture inside and it ends up on the fins.  Even so, the water is supposed to drip into a trough and drain away - you should not have to mop up. Make sure the drain is open and the hose routed outside - sometimes a sloppy tech leaves the hose inside the RV.

Question: Is the fridge interior cooling ok? Is the freezer good and cold, in the 0-10 F. range? And what model Dometic is it?

The refrigerator cools and so does the freezer.  Dometic model # RM1350LMSSX

We bought the motorhome in mid-June.  We built a pole barn in Wewa at our fish camp to protect the motorhome from tree limbs during storms.  We have set it up 3 times,  but had to keep bringing it back to Panama City for repair.  We have never had food or open bottles or open cans in the fridge. 

Hubby had left a 12 pack of Pepsi in the fridge at the first setup.  We came back to a saturated cardboard Pepsi case and enough water to absorb a bath towel. 

Due to torrential rains (about 39 inches) this past summer and our work schedule,  we have not spent a night in the RV.

The Dometic refrigerator issue kept us from using the RV.  Hubby wants it fixed.  He kept a calendar with contacts and promises made. 

We did not know the fins were supposed to drip.  The drain has to be a stopped up.  We have had two other RVs, and we had no problems with the refrigerators.  But, the refrigerators were not Dometic. 

I have stayed out this issue until now.  If I learn it is a stopped up drain,  I will not be a happy camper. 

Hubby sent an email to Tiffin this morning.  Thanks for your help. ?

We did not know the fins were supposed to drip.  The drain has to be a stopped up.

The fins get ice on them occasionally and drip when they thaw.  This is normal and part of the defrosting of the refrigerator but the freezer part is separate and has to be defrosted manually, unlike the one you have at home where defrosting is for both the refrigerator and freezer.  What is not normal is the lack of draining.  Make sure the tube is connected to the water tray inside the refrigerator and then see where it goes outside at the back of the refrigerator.  We had one years ago that dripped into a little tray out there and evaporated over time, but the newer models should have a drain tube down to the outside and usually underneath the RV.  One time I was too zealous in taking it all apart to clean and didn't get the drain tube reattached properly so the drip tray didn't drain.

ArdraF

Ardra,  Thank you for you reply.  You have been a big help.  We know now, the fins are supposed to drip.  The excess water is the concern.  It was 2 weeks before we checked on the motorhome  after the first setup.  The  refrigerator door was not opened during that time. 

The drips must had no place to go.  We will get an answer this week. 

Thank you everyone for your comments.  God Bless!

We know now, the fins are supposed to drip.

You may be overstating it a bit. The fins MAY drip at times, if there is sufficient inside the fridge compartment. If the door remains closed for a long period and there is no moisture inside from open food or beverage containers, the dripping should be minimal or none. I would not expect continual dripping over several days with the door closed unless something is letting moist air into the interior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom