Don't forget to....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FREDLY

The wife and I are getting ready to head out for our maiden voyage in a Gulfstream 19' TT towed with a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl. with a factory installed tow package. We will be going about 280 miles to a state park with electric, water and a dump station. I wondering if the more experienced members of this group could pool their collective wisdom and share some of the critical things they have learned about this first trip? Like: Don't forget to
Check....
Take...
Insure...
Tighten...
Install...
Plan...
Stop...
Etc...
Thanks for any advice that you can offer that will help make this first trip an enjoyable experience.

Put water in the black tank before use and after emptying to ensure nothing sticks!

Not sure what electric you have but if 50amp make sure you have a dog bone to convert down to 30 amp.  Just in case.

Have fun  ;D

I am sure that you went through the library here and read all the checklists.  The first few times we read through the lists as we made and broke camp.

Your exploratory trip is a GREAT idea.

Do not buy everything you think you will need.  It is way to easy to try to bring everything.

Yes, enjoy.  And relax.  For me that means scotch and a cigar before bed.  (I share either if any of you run in to me at campgrounds)

Hard to answer, since we don't have a clue what you have already done or prepared. Or what you expect to do to enjoy yourselves. Will you want lawn chairs or a BBQ grill? Outdoor games?  Do you need a table cloth of the picnic table? Maybe a flashlight?  Will you need fire wood and igniter of some sort? How about some sort of planks or leveling blocks for the trailer wheels, so you can level up on the site? Chocks for the trailer wheels?  Put at least a few gallons of water in the fresh tank, just in case you need some enroute.

Seasonings for cooking and condiments for sandwiches and meals? Forgetting the salt or the mustard is sooo annoying. Can & bottle openers, and maybe a corkscrew? A carving knife?

Sorry for not specifying what we've already done and thought of. As owners of a 1976 Apache, hard sided camper, we've already got a check list of things to take and check when towing a 1400 lb, 10' popup. What  I really need schooling on are the differences that I will run into with this new unit. 19 feet. 3000lbs. Electric brakes. Water systems.  Furnace. Refrigerator. Air-conditioner. All the things that we don't have in the pop up and the reason that we are upgrading.
Thanks for the reminder to enjoy.  Just having hot water and a toilet that's not outside and a nice big bed will provide this guy with plenty of enjoyment. ;)

Make sure your propane tanks are full. Check them, don't depend on the dealer. Are you carrying a spare tire, jack and tools? Also, make sure the tire has air in it. After you hook up, check all your lights and electric brakes for function. Have you checked/learned how all of the systems work and do they? Better to have problems sitting in the driveway rather than at a campsite 280 miles away. Is this a new trailer? If not, are the tires good (datewise) and inflated properly? If new, check tire pressures and lug nuts.

The first trip is always the most nerve wracking trip. You don't really know what you don't know yet and for me we were rushed through the initial lesson on how everything worked in our coach (plus our excitement) we were at our first campground simple things like how the fridge works or how to hook up water/sewer/cable were all a mystery.

Enjoy the discovery and enjoy the surroundings and each trip gets better and better.

We bought our first ever camping trailer in late October and I've been getting it ready for the upcoming season.  Before we start "using" it, we will be taking a really long trip to a campground that is less than 10 miles from our home for a shakedown maiden voyage.  I have tried to think through all of the things that we need and need to do, but we will certainly be taking pen and paper to write down the items/things that I/we have missed.  I don't want our first trip in April for the weekend to be an aw sh*t moment, so planning ahead with an actual camping trip should allow us to work out some of the issues before hand.

Before you pull out from home or after breaking camp, always do one final walk around and look at everything.  I do mean when everything is hooked up and the engine is running.

My wife and I just took the basics out on our first trip (food, water, clothing, bedding) and a note pad.  During the trip each time we thought of something we needed we discussed it.  Decided together if it was a needed item or just a wanted item.  Needed items were written down in our note pad and packed for the next trip.  Enjoy the adventure!

Not only do I do that final walk-around but I usually also do a drive around driving past the site to insure that I have not left anything behind.

Got a new toy today, A borescope.  Lets me look into things.

One thing I do while towing is I always have on my headlights.  It also lights up the running lights on the TT.  I can look in the rear view mirror and see the running lights.  If I have no running lights, I know the trailer plug has fallen out and I also have no brakes.  The trailer plug sort of locks in but it's reassuring to see the running lights on.  Just one of those little things.

What you need is a pad of paper and a pen or pencil or both.

I always have lists in progress of food shopping, RV parts supplies, RV repairs and RV wish list and an RV work list.

Make darn sure you have the phone numbers for roadside assistance so you aren't flailing around looking for that in the event of an emergency.

I travel with gas tanks over a half and fill often. I like to top up before I camp so I have a full tank if there is a flood or emergency and I have to leave in a hurry.

I travel with full water tanks. It's handy for an emergency and it's handy if you arrive dead tired at the campsite, you don't have to hookup water anytime soon. Just plug in, pull out the rocking chair and enjoy.

Don't forget the pets, their food, blankie, bed, rug, treats and toys. My gosh, my little fur baby seems to be a major consumer all on his own.  8)

Typically whatever you forgot, you can work around.

I find keeping 8-12 rolls of toilet paper around super handy. Surely don't want to run out of that stuff!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom