Dont want to share the rv with relatives!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought my RV so that my In-Laws could do some traveling in it. They always talked about heading down the old route 66 in an RV. So I bought one and told them to use it whenever they want. It must be that reverse psychology, because they stopped taking about the RV trip. Oh well, I love to do short beach camping trips, so no problem... In fact, I am hitting Jalama Beach on Wednesday! ;)

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and stories on this subject. I've already started cleaning the rv, and it really has been a chore, but I feel good about how sanitary it is now. After disinfecting everything, I took my new steam cleaner to it and I've also been letting uv rays work their magic on all the cushions too. I read a few articles on the power of "sun cleaning". I've been cleaning in spurts, which is all my toddler and two month old will allow, and anyways..things are looking good. I'm still strugglin g with my sister in law using it though and the words that come out of her mouth don't make it easier for me either. She came over yesterday and after checking out the inside of the rv this is what she said.."Wow..it's so nice and clean..I'm kinda afraid to use it..my family is kinda hard on stuff.." I told her that she needed to set boundaries then..tell her husband that he's not allowed to spit his chew on the floor ( yes people he spits his chew on the floor..even in their brand new truck) I told her to tell her kids to clean up after themselves and that they couldn't have food or drinks in the beds...she just shrugged and said that it was hard to do..lol..anyways..we shall see how this all goes..

Lydia_Marie:
I know a man, who knows a man, that lived next store to a man, who knew a woman, and she had the phone number of a man who produced "Reality" TV shows.

If ya want, we can start the process to put you in touch with "him" and maybe he can get this on TV. This (family) is just what the public needs, you know, to be entertained while we fill our faces with food. I mean this is fascinating.
You said:
I told her that she needed to set boundaries then..tell her husband that he's not allowed to spit his chew on the floor ( yes people he spits his chew on the floor..even in their brand new truck)
GOLLY....!?

lydia_maria said:
I told her that she needed to set boundaries then..tell her husband that he's not allowed to spit his chew on the floor ( yes people he spits his chew on the floor..even in their brand new truck)

Yes there really are people like that, one of my nephews got our whole crew thrown out of a restaurant we were working on when he spit a wad on the kitchen floor. Boss had to do some serious kissin-up to get that work back. He was our supervisor and his dad owned the company.

You might as well start figuring out how to clean up that chew he is going to be spitting out everywhere in the coach. I don't think this family will learn good cleaning habits overnight. If their house is a wreck and the new truck is full of nasty old chew on the floor... they aren't likely to flip over a new leaf just because they stepped inside the motorhome.

However, hearing from you is pure entertainment (but I feel awful watching this nightmare unfold.) Kind of like a gawker at a really bad accident.

I think you and your husband might be riding your unicorn over the rainbow on this one, but hey what do I know. Maybe cleaning up chew on the floor is going to be fun.

Take my advice (I'm not using it!)  ::)

wow, I gotta say this makes me feel sooooo much better. I thought I was the only one who had a family like this.lol I do feel for you. no matter what you do you will never fix the problem with them,they will always be dirty,hard on stuff, and see nothing wrong with it. and when grandpa dies, it will be worse. I don't care how bad your husband wants to keep the peace it is a losing battle 4 both of you and your kids.

the best thing that can happen is you clean it, they wreck it, you clean it, take your trip, they wreck it and your husband finally say's enough is enough. we had the same exact problem with our lake house. end result, we quit going, house got trashed and never cleaned, and finally demo.

the good news is you will see if you like rv'ing or not and your husband will learn you can't worry about everyone else all the time, life is short, enjoy it while you can, we are not guaranteed tomorrow. jm2c.

This whole thing reminds me of a joke.

Guy was interviewing for a job with the railroad and was asked " What would you do if you saw a train southbound on one track and another train northbound on the same track?"
He said, "I would go get my brother."
He was asked , "Why?? What could your brother do??"
he said, "Nothing, but he ain't never seen a train wreck either."

That is what I am doing---just waiting for the train wreck.

lydia_maria said:
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and stories on this subject. I've already started cleaning the rv, and it really has been a chore, but I feel good about how sanitary it is now. After disinfecting everything, I took my new steam cleaner to it and I've also been letting uv rays work their magic on all the cushions too. I read a few articles on the power of "sun cleaning". I've been cleaning in spurts, which is all my toddler and two month old will allow, and anyways..things are looking good. I'm still strugglin g with my sister in law using it though and the words that come out of her mouth don't make it easier for me either. She came over yesterday and after checking out the inside of the rv this is what she said.."Wow..it's so nice and clean..I'm kinda afraid to use it..my family is kinda hard on stuff.." I told her that she needed to set boundaries then..tell her husband that he's not allowed to spit his chew on the floor ( yes people he spits his chew on the floor..even in their brand new truck) I told her to tell her kids to clean up after themselves and that they couldn't have food or drinks in the beds...she just shrugged and said that it was hard to do..lol..anyways..we shall see how this all goes..

Oh my oh my.  This just gets better.  I think the only thing that can be done to help these poor people is to sell tickets to the event.  And maybe have some kind of chance or lottery on when the first chaw hits the floor, or when the first bed has beer spilled on it, or maybe the first broken window.  I would certainly pay and it could all go towards their cleaning/fumigating when the relatives get back. 

Wonder where the "Clampetts" are going to be traveling and which RV park will be their first nights stay?  Wonder if they are going to try and enter the RV in a tractor pull at the rodeo.  I think I might pay money to see them working the knobs at the dump station. Since your are cleaning for the "Clampetts", I'm wondering if they've asked you about what kind of food - besides beer of course - that you will be stocking the pantry.  I say Cheetos and HO HOs and possibly Moon Pies.  But there might be others on this forum that have other ideas. 
Keep up the cleaning and the posting though.
Chip D.

Actually, the Clampetts seemed like very clean people. Maybe, Clark Griswald's cousin Eddie

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 32
Wow, I feel so bad for the OP. Really, I do.  But if your husband isn't willing to set boundaries with regards to his relatives, how could you possibly suggest that your SIL do so with hers?  People can only take advantage of you if you let them.  Sounds like your hubby is willing to do all the work and pay the money so the relatives can benefit.  As has been said this is a train wreck in the making.

I guess I'm a different woman and married a different man but there is NO way this would happen on my watch as a wife.  No one takes advantage of my man.  Least of all his family.

well unless he is a saint, if figure he will change his tune after a couple of times that he has to replace equipment, and clean it , before he can enjoy it. I do understand trying to keep the peace and all, but life is short. I haven't talked to my brother going on 4yrs, because of stuff like that. sometimes you just gotta move on. I give her props for sticking by her man though. maybe that will pay off and he will see it her way....we usually do ;D

What if you buy your own motorhome, and then cousin Cleotus wants to borrow it to go to the county fair with his family of eight? Best set some rules ahead of time.

.....and would you have to make any exclusions in the agreement as to whether or not it was ok to enter it in the "Other" category in the Tractor Pull?

Back
Top Bottom