Down the oil filler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8Muddypaws

I was adding oil to my Cat C7 using one of these plastic oil carton tops (see pic).  It came apart and the top part of the spout went down the oil filler tube.  I don't know how far down it went but I'm assuming it would not be a good thing to have in my oil pan, if it went in that far.

Is there a screen or something that would keep it out of the pan?

Any ideas about how I can get it out?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 80
Mine is a CAT C-11. The oil fill has a 90 degree bend and would not go into the pan. Not sure about yours. To fish it out, I would use a mechanic's 'GRABER' or perhaps a plumber's snake could fish it out. Also .040 stainless wire with a hook bend at one end might snag it.
Good luck at let us know how you got it out.

It won't make it to the pan it'll be stuck in the valve train. DON'T start the engine! When the engine warms up it'll melt I don't think we need to venture into what molten plastic will do in your oil system. Like mentioned above try a parts grabber, I'd go as far as getting a cheap boroscope from Harbor Freight to see exactly where it is. Some filler necks are an extension for easier reach, see if the filler neck will unscrew and get you closer.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/21Bg8q2UqlL.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-62359.html

They even have them for your phone https://www.amazon.com/Depstech-Semi-rigid-Smartphones-Inspection-Camera--3-5m/dp/B01D8HJ2JG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474418287&sr=8-9&keywords=phone+camera+scope+attachment

Not worried about the valve train.  The oil filler doesn't go into the valve cover.  Wish it did!  I could pull the valve cover easily and fish it out.

The C7 appears to be similar to the C11 in that there is a 90 degree turn just before the tube enters the engine.  It's not easy to get at but if worse come to worse I can remove the 90 degree turn.

I've already ordered a bore camera.  All of $13 from Amazon and it should be here tomorrow.

Wish me luck fishing it out.

You can't assume that all oil filler tubes are the same shape and length.  It's not part of the engine that comes from Cat (or whomever) - it is added by the chassis builder when the engine is installed. Likewise for the dipstick and its tube.  That also means the tube is removable, if you can get at the point where it joins the engine proper to loosen it.

As as you observed, on most large diesels the filler hole is direct into the pan. Not like most gas engines with a top fill.

Form what I can see of the oil filler tube it appears that only the two ends are metal, everything in between is flexible hose.

I just tried an experiment.  I sucked the top of another spout, one exactly like the one that broke, through a 1 1/2" aluminum tube with a vacuum cleaner.  not only did it come out, it came out fast and didn't damage the vacuum cleaner.

So now I've got two plans.  Once I get the bore cam down there and see where it is I'll try to suck it out.  If that fails I'll build a cam guided hook and try to snake it out.

If that fails I start taking stuff apart.  And of course it could already be in the oil pan, but looking at the 90 degree turn it makes just before going in the pan that seems pretty unlikely.  It looks like dropping the pan won't be too difficult if it comes to that.

Freightliner, the chassis builder, says it wouldn't make it to the pan but check with Catepillar.  Catepillar said 'remove it' or bad things could happen.  Bad things = expensive things.

Whew!

My inspection cam came this afternoon and worked OK FOR A $13 investment..  I ran it down the filler and saw a flash of yellow.  That was proof enough that it was in the tube and not in the pan.

I removed the oil filter and drained the little bit of oil in the pan, and use a powerful vacuum cleaner to suck the broken spout up and out of the tube.  It took about a half a second.  My neighbors thought I had gone nuts when I heard the spout jam itself in the vacuum.

Much easier than disassembling the tube or dropping the pan.  Happy camper here.

When we had to add valves to the oil pan for an oil change system on the boats we would put a shop vac on the oil fill or breather port on the valve cover and the suction would keep the oil from running out while we screwed in the valve.

Hey Russ, you got off light! Many moons ago I turned the key on one of the 454's on a boat, not realizing it was already running. The Bendix, instead of kicking out, shattered!

This was the counter-rotating engine, with the starter at the top of the starter ring, not the bottom. I spent 3 weekends working blind with a "grabber" like others here suggested. I (eventually) put the jigsaw puzzle together, and realized I was missing just a partial tooth. I figured it wasn't going anywhere, and 5 years later I sold the boat for what I paid for it. Another 5 years later, the buyer sold it for what he paid for it.

Good job using the vacuum. I had heard of doing that when someone dropped aring down the sink drain. Put some panty hose over the opening and it will catch the ring and you don't have to disassemble the trap. Glad it came out easey.
Bill

Another good vacuum trick is pulling string through new conduit to run wire. I use parachute cord and then pull the wire bundle with that. Just remember to tie off the far end or you'll end up with a ball of string in your vacuum.

That reminds me of a friend that threw the anchor overboard and it was tied off to the boat.

The first time I threw an anchor overboard, it wasn't attached to the anchor line  :eek: My first time on a boat as a kid in the English Lake District. Had to go down to the local pub, find the village blacksmith, and plead with him to make a replacement anchor for the lady who owned the boat.

Tom said:
The first time I threw an anchor overboard, it wasn't attached to the anchor line  :eek: My first time on a boat as a kid in the English Lake District. Had to go down to the local pub, find the village blacksmith, and plead with him to make a replacement anchor for the lady who owned the boat.

Why didn't you try EBay.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom