Downhills with diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you couple the speed control, exhaust brake and a lower gear on the Aisin tranny, going down grades is a snap.

kdbgoat said:
So what I'm gathering here is newer diesel pick-ups may have factory exhaust brakes, but the older ones don't, and if it doesn't, more foot braking will be needed than a gas engine. Also some GM's have a variable vane turbo that brakes the engine also. Am I correct in my assumptions?
GM VVT turbo brake in the older Dmax had very little down hill braking compared to a down stream exhaust brake such as the B-D or Jacobs or Pacbrake/etc.... like 180 hp for braking with a exhaust brake vs 110-120 hp braking for the Dmax/A.
Later years Dmax/A came with more aggressive VVT turbo braking. Chevy/GMC diesel websites would have that kind of information on which years.

I had a 5.9 Cummins in a '96 3500 DRW 4.10 gears with the NV4500 five speed manual tranny. Empty of pulling one of my heavy GN trailers down hill in any gear was like pushing the clutch in......... resulting in hot brakes. After the first trip down Raton on I-25 loaded and return empty I had a B-D exhaust brake installed when I got home.

Same story with a '01 2500 3.54 gears 47RE tranny. B-D installed another exhaust brake after pulling a 11000 GVWR trailer over Wolf Creek pass.

My current '03 5.9 Cummins NV5600 6 speed 3.73 gears came with the Jacobs exhaust brake installed by my Dodge dealer with a Dodge warranty.

My self I wouldn't own a older diesel without some type of exhaust brake. If its a manual tranny all you need is the exhaust brake. If its the older tranny the exhaust brake will need the TC clutch lockup kit  for the brake to work correct.

Ford and Ram VGT and GM VVT turbo braking systems are light years ahead in braking power over the conventional exhaust brake from the mfg I mentioned above..

I have a 2000 F350 7.3 and do not have engine braking capability.  Some have turned the EBPV (EBVP?) into one by putting it on a switch.  It closes the valve and creates back pressure causing the engine to brake.  This is not recommended by Ford so I have not done it.  I just go slower if there are a lot of hills. 

lynnmor said:
Those that say the 2011-2014 has no braking, either don't know to use tow/haul mode, or they expect the engine to drag the tires.

longhaul said:
Ford and Ram VGT and GM VVT turbo braking systems are light years ahead in braking power over the conventional exhaust brake from the mfg I mentioned above..

That about sums up my thoughts! ;D

elliott-maine said:
If you couple the speed control, exhaust brake and a lower gear on the Aisin tranny, going down grades is a snap.
  its even better with the Duramax and Allison Trans  ;D ( and my favorite mustache buddy will answer in 5...4...3...2...1...) 8)

steveblonde said:
  its even better with the Duramax and Allison Trans  ;D ( and my favorite mustache buddy will answer in 5...4...3...2...1...) 8)

And it's the best in a Dodge   Ram with a Cummin(g)s......  :)

Well, for me I guess the exhaust brake is a moot point. I just bought a 2014 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.2 gasser.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otteau
Back
Top Bottom