DPReview Shutting Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

One of the best review sites out there for many years is coming to an end. Hate to see it go because I've learned a lot from them and it's helped me choose cameras over the years. RIP:

Just checked and see that I joined DPReview back in 2002. Benefited from numerous discussions & reviews over the course of a long photography career. Too bad Amazon wasn't able to sell out rather than just abandon it.

One of the best review sites out there for many years is coming to an end. Hate to see it go because I've learned a lot from them and it's helped me choose cameras over the years. RIP:

Larry, I'm sad and surprised to see it go.

I am not surprised by this. I stopped using DPReview years ago when I abandoned DSLRs, Photoshop and Lightroom when I found my cell phone camera replaces all of them.
Bird we have always butted heads on this issue. Right now cell phones still can not replace DSLRs and Photoshop for Professional Photographers.

Happy to see someone is reviving DP Review.

I am not surprised by this. I stopped using DPReview years ago when I abandoned DSLRs, Photoshop and Lightroom when I found my cell phone camera replaces all of them.
Maybe for a casual photographer, but for a professional? Absolutely no way.

I work in Photoshop literally every day. I use a Canon EOS-70D DSLR almost every day. While cell phone cameras are very impressive, there are professional level photo processes that cannot be done on a phone.

Bird we have always butted heads on this issue. Right now cell phones still can not replace DSLRs and Photoshop for Professional Photographers.
I do not recall us “butting heads”. When did that ever happen? I do recall you telling me that I was wrong and your were right, but you never explained why you were correct. I would love to know what these “professional camera systems and Photoshop” can do that a cell phone camera cannot do. Can anyone look at a photograph and tell if it was taken by a cell phone or a DSLR? I would really like to know the reason why DSLRs cannot be replaced by cell phones.

I recently saw an ad on Amazon for a Fujifilm mirrorless camera and I clicked on it since I was not aware Fuji was in the mirrorless market. I almost passed out when I saw the price, $5,499. And that is without a lens, which would be thousands of dollars more. My fifth wheel that I have lived in full time for the last 5 years cost over a $1000 less. How many photos does one have to sell just to pay for the camera?

I prefer my cell phone camera for many reasons. I don’t bother to put an SD card in my cell phone because it doesn’t need one. My photos are automatically uploaded to the cloud and to my computer instantly. I can email a photo to anyone in the world several seconds after taking the photo. My cell phone comes with a massive amount of free cloud storage. I have thousands of images online for instant viewing anywhere I want. And anyone else can view them. I don’t need Photoshop or Lightroom anymore since I can do photo editing right in the phone. No need for expensive add on programs or a Windows computer. I do everything on Chromebook. My first image editing software was Paint in 1987. I graduated to Paint Shop Pro in the 90s and then to Photoshop in the 2000s.

Maybe for a casual photographer, but for a professional? Absolutely no way.

I work in Photoshop literally every day. I use a Canon EOS-70D DSLR almost every day. While cell phone cameras are very impressive, there are professional level photo processes that cannot be done on a phone.
I am impressed. I used an SLR (Minolta SRT-101 and a Nikon F1) for 40 years, a DSLR (Canon D20, D50 and Sony A55) for 10 years, underwater (Nikonos 3) for 10 years and a cell phone camera for 8 years. If you would like to see my entire camera history then click here:

My Cameras

You have never used a cell phone camera as a serious tool so how do you know that a DSLR is better than a cell phone camera? I also used Photoshop and Lightroom for many years and I miss using them like I miss my ex-wives, not. What exactly are these “professional level photo processes that cannot be done on a phone”. I am anxious to find out what I have been missing.

I have posted thousands of images online for everyone to look at. I do not recall either one of you ever posting one photo you have taken. Why not post some of your photos and dazzle us all with your brilliant DSLR photography? Show me the difference between DSLRs and cell phones.

I am not a professional photographer, but I know a number of published professional landscape and wildlife photographers. None, zero, nada use a cell phone. Take a look at Bridger Peaks Photography, Gordon Dietzman, Heidi Pinkerton. These people have had gallery shows and a national audience. The photos they take are made without disturbing wildlife through huge lenses. It takes an awful lot of optics in both camera and lens to make a photo that can be blown up to 24x36 without distortion. If you want to take a snapshot that can maybe be blown up to 8x10, a cell phone can work. But that is not what I call a professional.

FYI: DP Review has a forum for "mobile photography" and does reviews on cell phone cameras.

Last edited:
Just checked and see that I joined DPReview back in 2002. Benefited from numerous discussions & reviews over the course of a long photography career. Too bad Amazon wasn't able to sell out rather than just abandon it.
Happy that someone rescued DPReview. I also benefited from numerous discussions and review. Another resource for me to compare products and get input.

Maybe it exists on some phones but the feature I'm sure makes "pro" cameras distinctive over consumer/cell cameras is RAW format. Being able to store/edit in an uncompressed format I think is a big deal. For most, doing cropping or basic enhancement in lossy formats probably isn't noticeable especially on a screen the size of a phone or tablet, but blow those images up and the degradation from compression is quite noticeable.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Maybe it exists on some phones but the feature I'm sure makes "pro" cameras distinctive over consumer/cell cameras is RAW format. Being able to store/edit in an uncompressed format I think is a big deal. For most, doing cropping or basic enhancement in lossy formats probably isn't noticeable especially on a screen the size of a phone or tablet, but blow those images up and the degradation from compression is quite noticeable.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
My Pixel can shoot in RAW, but I have no need for RAW anymore since my photos never need Photoshopping. I would have no problem blowing a cell phone image up for a large print and I doubt that anyone would see a difference between it and an image taken with a "pro" camera.
I am not a professional photographer, but I know a number of published professional landscape and wildlife photographers. None, zero, nada use a cell phone. Take a look at Bridger Peaks Photography, Gordon Dietzman, Heidi Pinkerton. These people have had gallery shows and a national audience. The photos they take are made without disturbing wildlife through huge lenses. It takes an awful lot of optics in both camera and lens to make a photo that can be blown up to 24x36 without distortion. If you want to take a snapshot that can maybe be blown up to 8x10, a cell phone can work. But that is not what I call a professional.
How many 24"x36" have you created with a cell phone camera? Have you ever even seen a 24" x 36" photo taken with a cell phone? I doubt it so how do you reach these dramatic conclusions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom