Draining Tanks 2023 Entegra Coach Emblem 36 H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pshudson5

We are currently at out first site and encountered an issue with emptying out Gray and Black tank. Black tank was at 33% and the gray tank reported as full. After connecting at the dump site, state park does not have sewer at each site, I opened the black tank valve in the storage area next to my wet bay. I then opened the valve in the wet bay at the outlet to the dump site. "Nothing" .
I then closed the black tank valve and opened the gray tank valve. I had a slow flow that then quit after a few minutes. Gray tank sensor still shows 66% full.
Added water to the Black tank used the rinse line in order to have more liquid in the tank.

Can anybody tell what I have missed. Maybe another thing to try.

Paul

Can you confirm by any other means that the gray tank still has a lot in it? I ask because the sensors in most rigs are anything but reliably accurate, though 66% implies a much better system than most, perhaps a SeeLevel system, unless you just have the more common 1/3 and 2/3 indications.

Others may have better ideas, but it almost sounds as if you didn't have the right valve combinations set up. You reference a black tank valve in a storage area, then a valve in the wet bay-- I'm not quite familiar with that setup. Maybe a picture or a more complete description? Otherwise wait for those more familiar with your coach.

How many gray tanks do you have?

Have you been using this rv right along or is it all new to you?

Also if you don’t have one, install a clear elbow between the rv sewer outlet and the dump hose. You can monitor what’s coming out of the tanks when dumping

Last edited:
If you bought the RV used that probably means that the tanks have to old button sensors and there is a coating on the inside of the tanks. Those old type of sensors are notorious for reading full or partially full when empty.

We have a '21 Emblem 36H, so the setup should be similar if not identical. It sounds like you're doing things right... perhaps you have a clog in the system. There are a number of YouTube videos and posts here on plumbing clogs. You may also want to try the macerator if you have one.

The following is from an instruction packet that I put together for our kids on how to operate the RV when using it without me.

Open Central Valve. Plumbing bay, blue circle – lift to open
1709739673369.png

First, dump the black tank by pulling down the upper valve circled in red. Close valve and then dump 1st Gray Tank next. Same compartment as black tank valve but the one circled in green. Close valve when done.
1709739693474.png

Dump 2nd Gray Tank (for washing machine) as final step. Plumbing bay, green valve
1709739757969.png

Close Central Valve. Plumbing bay, blue circle
1709739788614.png

We have a '21 Emblem 36H, so the setup should be similar if not identical. It sounds like you're doing things right... perhaps you have a clog in the system. There are a number of YouTube videos and posts here on plumbing clogs. You may also want to try the macerator if you have one.

The following is from an instruction packet that I put together for our kids on how to operate the RV when using it without me.

Open Central Valve. Plumbing bay, blue circle – lift to open
View attachment 171607

First, dump the black tank by pulling down the upper valve circled in red. Close valve and then dump 1st Gray Tank next. Same compartment as black tank valve but the one circled in green. Close valve when done.
View attachment 171608

Dump 2nd Gray Tank (for washing machine) as final step. Plumbing bay, green valve
View attachment 171609

Close Central Valve. Plumbing bay, blue circle
View attachment 171610
Thank you. That is exactly what I did and Nothing. Today went differently, Started with the Black tank which showed 66% full. Closed Black tank valve when flow stopped. Tank still shows 66%.

Then I opened the grey tank, which showed full, and let it run until no flow. Panel still shows it at 66%

Not quite sure what the heck is going on. You have any ideas?

Thanks

Can you confirm by any other means that the gray tank still has a lot in it? I ask because the sensors in most rigs are anything but reliably accurate, though 66% implies a much better system than most, perhaps a SeeLevel system, unless you just have the more common 1/3 and 2/3 indications.

Others may have better ideas, but it almost sounds as if you didn't have the right valve combinations set up. You reference a black tank valve in a storage area, then a valve in the wet bay-- I'm not quite familiar with that setup. Maybe a picture or a more complete description? Otherwise wait for those more familiar with your coach.
I drained the tank's again today and I do have the clear elbow. Let it all go till no flow from either tank. Sensors still show they are 66% full. Ran water for approximately 10 minutes in kitchen sink and the grey tank now shows it at 1005 full again. Can't believe that the sensors would already be messed up. Only owned it 2 months and it was brand new, SMH There are only 3 readings on my tanks, 0,33,66,99, 100% full.

Ideas? :)

Our tank gauges stopped being reliable in the first season as well. I don't bother with them anymore and have built a sense as to how often we need to dump.

YouTube has a number of suggestions for cleaning tanks, but I've not yet found the silver bullet. The one that I pinned my hopes on was adding a sink full of Citrus Cleaner, Dawn, and Borax to the gray tank along with a good amount of water after draining and just before your next drive. The sloshing motion of the mixture during the drive is supposed to be effective, but I've not had much luck with it. Perhaps I need to add more water to ensure that there's a good amount of mixing happening during the drive.

If you want more dependable readings, I'd suggest you get something like the SeeLevel sensors. I did that for my Newmar Ventana and never fought the problem again. The big difference is that the type of sensors you have are internal to the tank and the contents eventually get them crudded up, whereas the better sensors are mounted on the outside of the tank and the contents can't affect their accuracy.

If you bought the RV used that probably means that the tanks have to old button sensors and there is a coating on the inside of the tanks. Those old type of sensors are notorious for reading full or partially full when empty.
I purchased my 2022 new and it did that before I even looked at it.

Once in a great while it will read empty right after I clean out the tank-but that will not last long.

IMAO, any experienced RVer will expect the black tankers sensors to be full of **** and in more ways than one!

But also, any experienced RVer will know about when it is time to dump the tanks.

-Don- Reno, NV

Not quite sure what the heck is going on. You have any ideas?
Can't believe that the sensors would already be messed up.
I purchased my 2022 new and it did that before I even looked at it.
As I said before, the gages are not accurate. It is also quite possible that they can be adjusted as I have seen that also. One of our new RVs had tank level issues that were improved by adjusting, when new. In that case, taking the face plate off disclosed a potentiometer under each indicator that could be adjusted. What I did was to fill the waste tanks and then adjust to where it just said full and backing off went back to 3/4. It was then better for a while.

Update,

Gray water tank drained completely. I believe there may have been a clog.

Thanks for all the recommendations on this and the antifreeze taste. Still working on that one

Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom