Draining water heater between trips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We like to empty ours.

We have city water from home to start, but never know what type water we will get at the next campground or next fill up, so we just dump.

It wouldn't hurt anything and might even be a good practice if your RV will sit for a long time between trips, but in 40+ years of owning self-contained RVs I have never drained the water system between trips but only at the end of the season.

I guess I do a compromise. If it sits for more than a month or so I'll dump and refill the fresh tank and run the old stuff out of the pipes/water heater. That way whatever the city uses for sanitizer gets renewed. Theory being you never drain your pipes or water heater at home because they're continually being renewed with sanitized water. The only time I drain anything is for winterizing.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

If your water heater uses an anode rod, when the WH is filled with water the anode rod is constantly being eaten-away. If that is not the case or concern, leave the WH full. mine is only empty during long term storage, and full all summer, but I don't have an anode rod in my Atwood WH.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom