Drive time in Utah on route 12?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triptakers

HI!
Wondering if anyone has an idea of drive time on Route 12 from Torrey to Bryce NP in a 30 foot motorhome ... are there switchbacks or any other things we should know about? Would it be better just to go up to the interstate & then back down on 89?
Thanks!

I have driven that stretch once, about 3 years ago.  I don't know the exact drive time,  Google Maps says 2 hrs 48 min to cover 117 miles.  I would assume that is in a passenger car and it acknowledges the fact that even in a car you can't average 55 mph.  I would probably add another 30 minutes to that in an RV.

Are there switchbacks or any other things you should be aware of?  Why yes there are.  That section of road contains the "Hogback".  See here:  http://www.scenicusa.net/021110.html.  It's a very scenic section of highway, which drops very sharply off on either side.  It's either very beautiful or terrifying for the passengers, depending on their level of trust in the driver.  If you're the driver, as I was, you can't take your eyes off the road to see the beauty so its mostly just scary.  If I recall, there are quite a few curves and maybe a few switchbacks as you start descending.  I did it in a 37' DP towing a Honda behind.  It was definitely an interesting experience.

Regarding 89, I have not driven that way, but based on my view of the map, I don't think you would go all the way back to the interstate.  Google maps (actually Bing) says the 89 route is 21 miles longer than 12, but calculates drive time at one minute less.  Maybe others can chime in on that route.

I do also remember that between Escalante and Henrieville there is a pretty significant climb and descent.  The only reason that I remember it is that my coolant reservoir was a bit low and when I started climbing my low coolant warning went off.  I don't remember the climb itself being difficult.

I have driven both 12 and 89 and they are both very impressive drives. Tons of great scenery. If I had to pick one it would be 12. If you look on a map you will notice there is a total of 10 National Parks within 150 miles. I noticed that I could see scenery that reminded me of every single one of these parks along the route. At times I would feel like I was in the Grand Canyon and other times I would feel like I was in Arches and so on. But no matter which route you take you will be overwhelmed by the beauty. Have a nice trip. Just don't do it in the summer time.

Tom (SeilerBird) knows this area as well as anyone.  One more thought.  I believe from your other posts that you are first time RV drivers. Not sure what experience you may have with other large vehicles. By this point in your trip, you will have driven I-70 through the Rockies, including the descent through Glenwood Canyon.  If that stretch made your driver at all uncomfortable, I would probably avoid 12, and specifically the Hogback.  On the other hand, if you feel pretty comfortable by that point, go for it.  Just be careful.  This is the type of road that some people have no problem with and others would be paralyzed with fear.  Here is another description from someone else's blog:

"Next comes the main feature of Scenic Byway 12. A stretch of road known as HOGBACK and it is a challenge for most people?s nerves. This is a ridge road with severe drop-offs on each side without guardrails. When we arrived here it was 37F at 6300-foot altitude. This narrow serpentine road without guardrails is not tolerant of driving errors. After crossing Hogback a highway sign says Steep Grade Next 4 Miles downhill at 14% incline. It doesn?t mention the 100% incline on both sides. Reaching the Escalante River Bridge means you have completed this rapid downhill run, but the town is 14 more miles."

We've driven it several of times in all three of our coaches and don't remember how long exactly because we usually use the pull-outs for pictures, lunch, etc.  Absolutely beautiful drive though.  You will thoroughly enjoy it.

Mike.

Thanks Scott. I did live in Utah for three years and I worked at the Grand Canyon for many summers. I drove 89 many times in a large rig but I only drove 12 in a van so I have no idea of how scary it would be for a beginner. I have driven PCH 1 many times in a large rig and it never bothered me in the least even though it scares a lot of people so my opinion would not hold much water. I can vouch for the fact that 12 is one of the most beautiful routes in the country and also one of the loneliest. Not a lot of people or things to do out there. Not a good spot to break down.

If all you do is drive through, as impressive as that drive is you will miss most of what there is to see as it can not be seen from just the highway. We have spent more than a week each in Bryce and Torrey just exploring the area. Three of the attractions you will miss just driving through are Escalante Petrified Forest State Park , Kodachrome Basin State Park, and Calf Creek Falls. If you want an easier route for the RV than UT-12, take UT-24 West from Torrey. At Browns Lane there will be a sign that says to Koosharem. Take that left turn and follow Browns Lane to UT-62. Turn left on UT-62 to US-89 South to Bryce. 

I took my Jeep on that route once and on the top - Hogback, encountered a large MH that was traveling at less than 3 mph - when I passed them, I thought they were going to have a heart attack...I saw them later in the day in Escalante and asked how they did, they said it was terrifying and would never do it again.

I towed my small 5th wheel over it years later with no issues, but I am used to driving high mountains and narrow roads.

Stop at every pull-out and enjoy the views....amazing road and one of America's Most Scenic.

Good Luck,

Jim

With the terrific scenery you can spend and entire day driving UT12.  One precaution I will offer is don't try it in an RV on a day with high winds.  The Hogsback is totally unprotected from winds, and when the hit the sides and roll over the top they seem to accelerate.  Those days it is no place for a beginner.  That being said, UT12 is one of my all time favorite drives.

I've driven 12 northbound several times. 43ft MH towing. No issues, beautiful drive. I agree I wouldn't want to driving a MH up there if it is real windy.

ken

We've driven Utah SR-12 once or twice in a smaller motorhome and much prefer doing it in a car.  It is very beautiful but, in addition to the above comments, the elevation goes to about 9,200 feet so large vehicles struggle to keep up with the thinner air.  If someone in your party has breathing issues at high elevations, don't go there.  To go from point A to point B I would take SR-89.  It's an easier route in my estimation.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
...To go from point A to point B I would take SR-89...
I don't think there is a UT-89 at least not anywhere near Torrey. The only two main highways in Torrey are UT-12 and UT-24. US-89 runs North/South in Western Utah a little East of I-15. Taking the route I described in my previous post is about 50 miles longer than UT-12. Taking UT-24 to I-70 to US-89 is 100 miles longer than UT-12.

Back
Top Bottom