Driver window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn

I have an idea I wanted to share with y'all.  We often like to keep the windows open in our motor home while camped.  You know that nice big driver side window, without a screen.....well I made a screen!  I used the self stick Velcro and a piece of fiberglass screen.  I measured out the length of the Velcro (using black to match the door frame)  I cut the length in half so it was about 1/2" wide.  I stuck the Velcro on the frame of the door (when door is closed it isn't seen) on the top and the 2 sides.  On the bottom  (where you would rest your elbow if you could reach ;D)  I put the 1" width of Velcro.  There I used beige to match the beige padding inside the door.  I used the soft side of the Velcro on the door. (If you don't have a driver door, just do it to the inside of the frame.  As long as it is cut neat, with matching Velcro, it will look fine.  Cut the rough side of the Velcro the same sizes as what you put on the door and put it up on what you already put on the door. (I did the top only first, then the sides save the bottom for last.  Remove the backing. Then take the screen  which you should cut slightly larger than the width of the window/Velcro allowing a few inches extra on the bottom (don't cut it too small, you can go back and trim it later)  Starting at the top, Stick the screen to the Velcro, then do the sides.  You want it to be a little taut so it looks nice and smooth when done.  Once the 3 sides are stuck you can do the bottom, again nice and smooth.  Once I was satisfied that the screen looked nice and smooth, I gently took the screen down and sewed the Velcro on, by machine.  This is the most difficult part as the glue gums up the needle.  I kept cleaning it off with goo gone.  It was well worth the trouble.  (I'm thinking it might work to pin the Velcro to the screen using non-sticky Velcro for that side, I suppose it's worth a shot)  When I was satisfied with the fit, I took it back down and trimmed the screen close to the Velcro.

I've been using this screen for almost 3 years and it still works and looks great.  When we're packing up to travel I just have to remember to remove it so hubby can pay those tolls  LOL.  The only problem I have is the corners of the Velcro on the door started to pull away after a couple of years.  I just picked up some Velcro glue to try. 

JoAnn

A good idea, and quite inexpensive.  Others have used magnetic strips glued to the screen.  The magnetic strips are cut such that the screen can be folded small enough to store.  I think there are also similar conmercially made screens.
Art

JoAnn,

Thanks for the detailed description of what you did.  I am curious to know how the Velcro glue works!

rjf7g said:
JoAnn,

Thanks for the detailed description of what you did.  I am curious to know how the Velcro glue works!

I'll update you when I use it.  However, it will be a while, we are headed home (to NY) from Florida, right now and it's getting much too cold to work on it  :( 

King said:
A good idea, and quite inexpensive.  Others have used magnetic strips glued to the screen.  The magnetic strips are cut such that the screen can be folded small enough to store.  I think there are also similar conmercially made screens.
Art

Art, I've never seen a commercially made one.  This folds up very small for storage as well. I have a little cabinet right over the door.  I just keep it right there

JoAnn

Here:  http://www.bugbarrierscreen.com/products.htm
But I'm sure there are others...
Art

King said:
Here:  http://www.bugbarrierscreen.com/products.htm
But I'm sure there are others...
Art

Well I'll be........ Thanks Art.

JoAnn

My grandfather had magnetic screen "windows" for his Class C, so in nice weather he could keep the van cab windows open.  And that rig he bought new in 1973.  :)  So the idea's been around for awhile.  I'm willing to bet he made his screens, but I can't remember how the small round magnets were attached to the screen material.

I made my screen the same way.  It looked and worked great.  Unfortunately I sold that motorhome and now need to make one for the new one.  I also had trouble with the corners pulling away.  I would just try to be extra careful when removing it.  I wondered if the sew on kind would have worked better on the screen part.  I always rolled mine up so it would not have creases in it and stored it under the sofa. 

Casadedi said:
I made my screen the same way.  It looked and worked great.  Unfortunately I sold that motorhome and now need to make one for the new one.  I also had trouble with the corners pulling away.  I would just try to be extra careful when removing it.  I wondered if the sew on kind would have worked better on the screen part.  I always rolled mine up so it would not have creases in it and stored it under the sofa. 

I haven't tried the glue yet, but when it warms up a bit I will try it and let you know if it works.  I do try to be careful with the corners,  but hubby took it down quickly one time and.......well we won't go there LOL.  I do fold mine but don't crease it and it is still as smooth as when I made it.  I used the stick on on the screen then sewed it so I figure if you use the sew on kind on the scren it should work great.  The only advantage with the stick on is keeping it in the exact position.  I figure if one strip at a time is done and it gets pinned on nice and straight, it would work fine.

JoAnn

Get a small can of contact cement with the brush in the cap - any hardware store. Much cheaper than those little tubes, and you can use it for many other projects too. Follow directions closely, especially as it pertains to applying to both surfaces and letting it dry properly before sticking two things together. Position carefully as you don't get a second chance. If you ever need to remove it, toluol (toluene) will get it right off. Can even be thinned with the stuff but that's only necessary after leaving the can open repeatedly for long periods.

Thanks Karl, I'll take your word for it and pic, some up.  It's 12' here so I guess it will be a while till I can get to doing the repair.  I appreciate the removal method also.  That's always good to know.

JoAnn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom