Driver's Door Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you like to have a Drivers Door on your Class A motorhome?

• Yes

Votes: 79 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 30.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like my driver's side door.  No noise or air leaks so far.  I'm tall so climbing in and out is not a problem.

We have a drivers door but never use it.  My husband is not a big man and it just about kills him to hoist himself up in through the door.  It's a huge step up even with the help of the handle and place to put your foot.  He always just goes out the RV door.  I don't like the fact that there is no screen there.  I have a screen on my side and sometimes there is a beautiful breeze coming in and would create a lovely cross breeze but can't open his window cause there is no screen and the bugs come in.

in2adventure said:
The deadbolt on the side door was goobered and I couldn't get out of the RV one morning. It would have been embarrasing to call AAA and tell them I was stuck INSIDE my RV  :-[ I went out the driver's door, got a pair of pliers and some spray lube out of the tool box and managed to pry the lock open.
I only mentioned it because you said that you were stuck inside.
J

I have a driver's side door and love the ease of getting in/out. What I do find that could be better is to have a wider step so I could climb up the steps sideways. Like a step that would fit my foot. Other than that, I like mine.

Interesting... a 50/50 split almost.

My emergency exit is expensive...release the rear window, let it drop on the ground. climb out and most likely buy a new window.  Not me...I'll use my handy drivers door.

Carson FL

My two-cents worth.....I really enjoy my diesel coach, but surely miss the driver's door I had on my Vectra. It was just darned handy! (Didn't leak or rattle after I 'fixed' it!)

I'd be hard pressed to give up the driver's door or the mid-entry of my Allegro gasser.  No leaks or wind noise.  I'm in and out the driver's door all the time.  Very convenient and (thankfully), the big step up is not an issue for me with the big grab bar to pull up on. 

We really would not like having to enter the unit in front of the passenger seat either.  Kids, dogs, hauling groceries in over the front carpeting and around the front seat would be less than desirable IMO.

Gordon

The door in-question is one of a few reasons why some people like myself, elect to get a cut-away chassis motor home.  Entry doors don't get any better than that.  But those chassis are geared more for on-the-move people rather than the stay-a-while kind.

I also have an Allegro with a mid-entry door and a driver's door. My first Class A (a 94 Sea breeze) didn't have a front door. When I got the Allegro I discovered that it really is pretty handy. Yes, it's a tall step up, but Tiffin gives you a big step and a large handle to pull yourself up. I have no leaks or noise from the door either. Very handy at the gas station or when working under the dash.

With all the automation out there on RV's today, you'd think someone would have come up with a step/ladder systems for the driver's door that would pop out with the push of a button or automatically when the door latch is opened. I've seen them for the entry door - why not the driver's door, too?

Having been locked inside our first class A once with Grandma and 2 of the grandkids .... a driver entry door while not a deal breaker ... was an item I was interested in having.  Find it quite useful as several folks have mentioned. 

I only had a few tools inside and finally had to go out the emergency exit window ... ouch!  If we ever have to use that in a hurry it is goin' to hurt!!!  :eek:

The step ladder on the outside certainly helped out further trips while I was getting the door open, but much prefer and appreciate a second way in and out with the front door.  An no leaks, air or water so far.

Howard

My old Allegro had one.  My, new to me, '94 DP does not have one.  At least it has the door in the middle and not the front.  But I do miss the drivers door.

I have a drivers door and use it all the time.  I use it when fueling, checking the toad, checking into the campground, etc.  Plus, I like the idea of a second exit and the ability to get down under the dash in that area.  It's not that hard to get in and out of.  I have a flip down step mounted on the fender, and a grab handle.  I'm 52 and can still muster the strength to get in and out.  As far as noise and wind leaks, not yet.  But, my unit is only 15 years old 8).

I'm 52 and can still muster the strength to get in and out.
I am amused by all the various opinions..
A quote from Mark...I'm 52 and can still muster the strength to get in and out.

Well, I am 75 and still love to jump into that door, even though I have some leg problems.
"Change a person against his will, of the same opinion he will be still" (Someones quote....not mine).

Enjoy what you think is important.

carson FL

I might have to change my vote to LIKING my driver's door (even though it's not insulated hardly at all and the electric window glass is single pane) due to seeing pictures of Max49 blown 8.1 liter GM engine, and the replacement that requires Engine removal and replacement GOING IN AND OUT OF THE DRIVER'S DOOR!

Back
Top Bottom