Driver's License Requirements - Trailer Weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saskatooner

The province I live in (Saskatchewan) requires that I have a special endorsement on my driver's license if the 5th wheel I am towing is over 10,000 lbs (gross weight). Is such an endorsement required in other jurisdictions? US or Canada? Thanks

California, for one state, does.    Actually, what it requires is a non-commercial Class A license for towing a 5th wheel over 15,000lbs GVWR or a travel trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR.  An ordinary Class C will work for fivers and TTs under those limits.

New York state requires an "R" endorsement if the RV is over a certain GVW or a certain length for persons with a NY license. Sorry about knowing the weight/length limits, I have a CDL so am covered no matter the weight/length.

However, you do not need any additional licensing when you travel to other jurisdictions.  If your license is valid for towing your trailer at home, it will be accepted in all the other states and provinces as well. It is called "reciprocity" and to the best of my knowledge all US states and Canadian provinces have agreed to it.

No special endorsement in Michigan.  The only time you will need a special endorsement is if your vehicle is a commercial vehicle with your configuration.  You are good to go here.

I have a CDL in PA and am not allowed to tow a trailer over 10,000#s.  I can drive a 45' tour bus but not tow the trailer.  I don't see it being enforced but it is the regulation.

Here is the Kansas rules for NON COMMERICAL licenses.

(4) class A motor vehicles include any combination of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross combination
weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000
pounds, and all other lawful combinations of vehicles with a gross combination
weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or more; except that, class A does not include
a combination of vehicles that has a truck registered as a farm truck under
subsection (2) of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto;

(5) class B motor vehicles include any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
rating of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in
excess of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating. Class B motor vehicles
do not include a single vehicle registered as a farm truck under subsection (2)
of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto, when such farm truck has a gross
vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or more; or any fire truck operated by a
volunteer fire department;

(6) class C motor vehicles include any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating
less than 26,001 pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess
of 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, or any vehicle with a less than
26,001 gross vehicle weight rating towing a vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds
gross vehicle weight rating, provided the gross combination weight rating of
the combination is less than 26,001 pounds, or any single vehicle registered as
a farm truck under subsection (2) of K.S.A. 8-143, and amendments thereto,
when such farm truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds, or
more, or any fire truck operated by a volunteer fire department; and

Chalk up Nevada for requiring an endorsement (J) for towing a trailer over 10K. A written test and involved road driving test is required.

Carl L said:
California, for one state, does.    Actually, what it requires is a non-commercial Class A license for towing a 5th wheel over 15,000lbs GVWR or a travel trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR.  An ordinary Class C will work for fivers and TTs under those limits.
California now requires a "Restriction 41" on your class C to tow a 5er over 10,000 and under 15,000 lbs gross.

British Columbia went a little overboard, likely to one up the other provinces. I need a special endorsement '20' to tow a travel trailer that weighs over 4600 kg but it only covers travel trailers, no farm, stock, cargo etc. To tow any other trailer over 4600 kg I need a special endorsement '7'. I am also limited to a two axle tow vehicle with both of these. Why not roll these into one? It makes absolutely no sense. I can get a class 3 cdl to tow any trailer as long as it is not equipped with air brakes, to do that I need a class 1.

Big Bad Allis said:
No special endorsement in Michigan.  The only time you will need a special endorsement is if your vehicle is a commercial vehicle with your configuration.  You are good to go here.

To add to this, the only endorsement Michigan requires (non-commercial) is an endorsement for 'Recreational Doubles"....like towing a boat behind the fifth wheel.

You do not need to worry about what other provinces/states have for requirements, if that is the purpose of your question.

If you are correctly licensed in Sask., you are good for anywhere as your home province requirements will be respected everywhere in North America.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom