driveshaft disconnect opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooch

I don't hear much about driveshaft disconnects.  I currently tow my suburban 4 down but it is getting unreliable.  I really want to buy a ford transit passenger van for my family (which is large and we always have extra people along), but would really like to use it as my toad as well. I had initially looked into having it made into 4wd by Quigley so I would have a transfer case to put in neutral but now am wondering why I never hear much about driveshaft disconnects. Does anyone see a problem with  me putting one on a transit and towing that flat?  It would be the ultimate tow vehicle for us.  thanks

Remco is alive and well. My last toad was a 09 Ranger with an automatic transmission. I traded in a 06 super crew F150 for it with the stipulation that they install the driveline disconnect in it. It came with a new driveline as well. It worked very well, was a bit to learn how to get it back into normal mode for driving, but the instructions told how to do it and soon was not a concern. I'd go for it, a lot cheaper than converting to a 4wd.
I don't have it now because the problem with the Ranger was it was only good for two or maybe 3 people, even tho it was an extended cab the rear space was too tight for real people. I now have a Jeep Wrangler four door so we can carry 4 adults with ease.

Except that it is no longer the Remco company that sells it. Now known as Superior Driveshaft Coupling - see http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php

Since many popular vehicles theses days are front drive, and many trucks are 4WD and towable as-is, you don't hear so much as disconnects these days. They are still available, though.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Except that it is no longer the Remco company that sells it. Now known as Superior Driveshaft Coupling - see http://www.remcodsc.com/driveShaft.php

Since many popular vehicles theses days are front drive, and many trucks are 4WD and towable as-is, you don't hear so much as disconnects these days. They are still available, though.
That is true, and was when I got mine, but you can still Google Remco and when you get it the booklet/owners manual still says Remco.
They haven't bothered changing it.
But thanks for giving the updated info.

My disconnect from Remco has been flawless.  Installed 14 years ago on my '02 Tacoma and has 57,000  towed miles plus 103,000 driven
miles on it.

We had a Remco on our Ford Explorer and loved the idea of four down towing. It was easy to use and very reliable We had approximately 60,000 towed miles on it and 75,000 driven miles without a problem on the drive shaft disconnect. Would not hesitate doing a Remco again.

thanks for the replies.  It seems I solved the four down issue, so then I figured I was going to have a difficult time getting a base plate for it and would probably have to fab something up but blue ox makes one! ;D It keeps getting better. Now I have to go find a transit to buy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moore1947
Back
Top Bottom