Driving a class A, YIKES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alpena Jeff said:
It's not if you're going to hit an orange cone, it's how many!
Ok, not true for most but I thought it was funny when I was told that.
I'm also a newbie, 7k miles behind the wheel. A little intimidating for awhile but you do get the hang of it. Keep it slow, build confidence. Move your line of sight further down the road. If your rig is sound, tires inflated properly you will be fine.
Good luck.

Good advice.  When I got my first Class A I was always looking in my mirror to see how close I was to the center line.  That made for a rather zig zagging experience.  Look down the road at normal distance as you would in a car and you will find that you are doing just fine.  Turn the corners a little wider to account for the increased length.  But if you have towed a 35' TT you should have no problems.  and most of the route from FL to NY will be four lane divided.  Biggest headache to this day is service stations (if you have a gasser)  I try to use those where the lanes do not point towards the building so you can have plenty of entry/exit space.  Good luck.

Bill

Gary RV_Wizard said:
When in a really narrow lane, maybe with concrete barriers on the sides, look ahead and trust your instinct to keep in the center of the lane. If you start watching the side barriers too close, I can pretty much guarantee you will scrape one.  Many (most?) of us have been there, done that.

Great advice and a good technique to help prevent jerky "oversteering".

AStravelers said:
Rear View Mirrors:
-- Your rear view mirrors will have two mirrors on each side.
-- A large mirror showing a standard view of the road behind you.  This is unlike a car or truck which has a convex mirror on the passenger side with the words "objects may be closer than they appear".
-- A smaller convex mirror on each side showing anything in your blind spots beside your vehicle.
-- It is very IMPORTANT to be in the habit of looking at this small convex mirror EVERYTIME you turn or change lanes.

It is a natural reaction to only look at the large mirror.  You have to train yourself to always look at both mirrors before turning.

Although it should go without saying, I will say it anyway.  Make sure your mirrors are properly adjusted.  While it is pretty easy to adjust the large flat section of your rear view mirrors, the smaller convex section at least for me, is not as easy.  Make sure the convex ones allow you to see if anyone is along side you before you change lanes.

Such great advice!
This morning I went on You Tube and searched class A driving, some great videos on mirror adjustments and little tips and tricks like the ones you guys have been saying. This is all so educational!

When in a really narrow lane, maybe with concrete barriers on the sides, look ahead and trust your instinct to keep in the center of the lane. If you start watching the side barriers too close, I can pretty much guarantee you will scrape one.  Many (most?) of us have been there, done that.
:)) :)) :)) :))

billwild said:
A couple more things you could do. First get up on top of your motorhome with a tape measure, and measure to the ground from the highest point if you can on the roof. Then type up the height on a piece of paper and tape it to your dash. A good reminder of how high your coach is. .

Bill

I did it a little differently.  I got up on the roof with a piece of wood with some cord attached.  I put the wood, level, on the highest point and had my DW mark where the cord touched the ground,  If you have an air suspension, you need to do it with the air bags inflated.  Quick, simple and accurate.

It is even easier if you have a roll up garage door where you know the coach will fit.  Simple park with the highest point (air conditioner, satellite dome, etc.) below the door, roll the door down until it just touches, and measure the height to the door roller along its track.

Escapees' Smart Weigh measures the height of an RV while they do the individual wheel weights.  They use a trucker's load height measuring stick, a telescoping pole with a horizontal bar on top.

You use the horizontal bar as a feeler, making contact at the RV's highest point, which is usually but not always the air conditioner.  Then you read the height on the pole  which has a scale like a tape measure.

HappyWanderer said:
A motorhome drives nothing like a car: I really wish people would stop saying that. Also, it is not acceptable to drive around banging into things and causing property damage. That traffic cone could just as easily be a construction worker.
I don't think anyone condoned crashing into anything, a cone isn't anything more than a cone to narrow a lane and are placed where if you do hit one, that's all you hit

Deano2002 said:
I don't think anyone condoned crashing into anything, a cone isn't anything more than a cone to narrow a lane and are placed where if you do hit one, that's all you hit

Read the third paragraph in Reply #10, plus all the other topics that say it's inevitable and acceptable to hit things and cause damage. Neither happen to be true.

On another note, there have been a lot of tips offered on how to handle a vehicle that drives just like a car!

It may have been mentioned but it's worth repeating so I will.  A gas motorhome has a long overhang.  The part of the motorhome that extends past its rear tires.  In some cases that is 12 feet or more.  When you make a turn, the motorhome pivots at the rear tires and the end of that long overhang swings in the opposite direction.  So if there are vehicles close to your left side when making a right hand turn, the rear end of your motorhome will swing into their lane.  Always observe the vehicles on the side of your motorhome that will swing into their lane as you turn.  By making your turn slowly and gradually, people will see the rear of your motorhome begin to move into their lane and hopefully drive accordingly.  When I need to make a sharp right turn, I move as far to the left as possible.  Even into the other lane if possible.  Then position the motorhome so the front is closer to the curb than the rear and proceed at an angle before making the turn.  When your rear tires can clear the curb, you'll already be well into your turn and less likely to be in the other guys lane. 

Another thing to keep in mind when driving on the freeway or any highway with an onramp.  Many drivers don't understand the right of way laws.  When driving on the freeway, you have the right of way and it's up to the vehicle entering the freeway to yield to you.  Many drivers either don't understand this or are oblivious to large vehicles moving into the space they intend to occupy.  If you are able calculate their approximate speed and determine their entry point of the other vehicle, you can either speed up or slow down to accommodate them.  Otherwise you will need to move over, if possible. 

Since you've pulled a large 5th wheel, you already know that strong winds and passing vehicles can cause your truck or tow vehilce to move somewhat.  It's the trailer pushing or pulling the rear of your truck of tow vehicle that you notice.  In the motorhome, it's a direct hit and you will notice it immediately.  Best thing to do when a large vehilce is passing you is to pull to the right as much as possible.  If there are more than 2 driving lanes, keep to the right as much as possible.  It's going to be the roughest part of the road, but you'll have less issues with passing vehicles. 

Driving in heavy freeway traffic can be a problem when you need to change lanes.  It's been my experience that many drivers do not want to follow behind a large vehicle.  Consequently they will not slow to let you move over.  They might even drive faster to close a gap when you signal your turn.  So it's best to know when you will need to change lanes to exit a freeway or transition to another.  Not always possible and some times a missed exit will just add time to your trip.  But it's better to be late by a few minutes than to risk having a collision. 

One more point on tail swing, when at a gas station and it is time to pull away from the fuel pump I try to make a turn towards the fuel pump side as I depart after fueling so that the tail swings into the open aisle side, not towards the pump, pump guards, etc.

Keep this in mind also when pulling away from a curb when parallel parked, such as when stopped at a highway rest area, as that tail can swing out and hit a sign post, etc. if you are not careful.  Also the sidewalks, retaining walls, etc. next to parallel parking areas at rest areas are sometimes high enough to be a danger themselves.

Thank you! I've been paying attention to those things in my van (a Transit 350 12 passenger) just to start getting used to paying attention as habit. I pick up Ace next Saturday!

A gas motorhome has a long overhang.

And diesels too.  I just saw a picture of one that I thought was gas but turned out to be a diesel.  It had an overhang every bit as long as our earlier C gas motorhomes.  It was a single rear axle and we decided the engine weight would be too much 'way back there!

ArdraF

Tom and Margi said:
In your original post you mentioned you have pulled a 35 foot TT.  I think you'll find driving your new Class A much easier than that.  You'll enjoy the increased visibility that comes from being so high in the air as you look down the road for possible hazards.

This.  :))

As mentioned there are some motor home driving classes worth checking out.  In the mean time perhaps this series of videos will be of help, informative and at leastl give you some confidence that you can learn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MSGqfh8z0&list=PL57sd9ryLVgMewGUGfXhQTUJLrPBpcTxn

garyb1st said:
Another thing to keep in mind when driving on the freeway or any highway with an onramp.  Many drivers don't understand the right of way laws.  When driving on the freeway, you have the right of way and it's up to the vehicle entering the freeway to yield to you.  Many drivers either don't understand this or are oblivious to large vehicles moving into the space they intend to occupy.  If you are able calculate their approximate speed and determine their entry point of the other vehicle, you can either speed up or slow down to accommodate them.  Otherwise you will need to move over, if possible. 

I'd like to mention in Wisconsin (maybe other states) the cars entering from access ramps have the right of way and you on the main roadway must yield to them.  It would be a good idea to check the laws of the states you intend to visit.
In any case, I move over when I see traffic coming down the ramps and merging with our lane.  That can save me from slowing down and losing momentum.

RTsRV

I'd like to mention in Wisconsin (maybe other states) the cars entering from access ramps have the right of way and you on the main roadway must yield to them.

Really? That seems dangerous, to me, and it would also seem counterproductive to keeping traffic flowing on the freeway. Wow!

Addendum:
I found this quote on Eau Claire's TV station web site:

"As a matter of courtesy and safety, we encourage drivers on multiple lane highways to change lanes if possible or adjust their speed so that merging vehicles can get into the traffic flow quickly. However, drivers merging from a ramp onto a highway should be aware that vehicles on the main freeway have the right-of-way and are not legally required to move over," says  Captain Jeff Frenette of the Wisconsin State Patrol Northwest Region.

Back
Top Bottom