Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cadee2c said:
This thread reminded me of an article I read awhile back. Drones are now banned from all our national parks..... http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel/national-park-service-drone-ban/  :(

Caryl
That might have always been the case. These are arguably not drones, they are model RC aircraft. It's the media who have coined that phrase.  Anyway we were acosted by the park ranger in Death Valley many years ago for flying a Slo-Stick in the park. His claim was that if it crashed that all those pieces would be all over the place and ruin the park. The ironic part was that we we're standing next to the airstrip in Stove Pipe. It's interesting that it might be OK to crash a real aircraft, but the park might implode if a slo-stick hit the ground and broke a wheel

I heard there was a county somewhere that legalized the shooting down of drones.......sounds something like Texas would do.

If I were to stand on the sidewalk across the street from your home or business in broad daylight, would you shoot me?

What if I had a cellphone, would you shoot me then?

What if the cellphone had a camera, but you didn't know if I was taking pictures of anything, would you shoot me then?

What if I was taking pictures, but you didn't know if I was taking pictures of you or your property, would you shoot me then?

What if I was taking pictures of you or your property, would you shoot me then?

If you answered 'Yes' to any of these questions, please point out where I was breaking any laws, since I was on public property at the time.

Airspace above personal property is considered 'public' airspace. If it weren't, planes could not fly over anyone's homes or businesses without the owner's permissions.

I agree, however, that swooping low (lower than roof-level) or hovering in front of a window of someone else's property is wrong, and should be punished. Whether or not there is a camera involved should make no difference, it is a safety issue.

if you drone buzzed my house while you're standing on public property  .........  your drone would be in a thousand pieces.

people get away with illegal stuff all the time......(O.J. , our presidents etc...)

it would go down in the official police report as an accidental discharge..... (A.D.) 

my statement would be....."I had no idea there was even a drone up there! I was just cleaning my shotgun out on the patio,.... thank God nothing bad happened !"

because of drones there will need to be some new legal clarifications of the "Air rights" above you property and privacy rights......

I can't believe is it legal for a neighbor to build a cantilevered building over your property but here it is...

Attachments

• Air_rights_318_Third_Ave.jpg
    Air_rights_318_Third_Ave.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 23
TonyDtorch said:
if you drone buzzed my house while you're standing on public property  .........  your drone would be in a thousand pieces.

You would be performing an illegal act, would most likely have to pay a fine, spend time in jail, AND have to reimburse the drone flier.

You lose all around, and now have a police record. The County has a few thousand dollars added to it's coffers, and the drone flier upgrades to the next better model.

Tell me how this makes you out on the winning side?

Oh, and many of these drones have remote view and record capabilities. Your aiming the shotgun at it would be used as evidence you did not accidentally discharge your firearm.

Slippy said:
You would be performing an illegal act, would most likely have to pay a fine, spend time in jail, AND have to reimburse the drone flier.

You lose all around, and now have a police record. The County has a few thousand dollars added to it's coffers, and the drone flier upgrades to the next better model.

Tell me how this makes you out on the winning side?

Oh, and many of these drones have remote view and record capabilities. Your aiming the shotgun at it would be used as evidence you did not accidentally discharge your firearm.
assuming you could prove I intentionally and not accidently aimed at it...either way , as for jail ...been there, done that  and I got the T shirt.

shockingly I've done many illegal acts and I got away with the vast majority of them.

TonyDtorch said:
assuming you could prove I intentionally and not accidently aimed at it...either way , as for jail ...been there, done that  and I got the T shirt.

shockingly I've done many illegal acts and I got away with the vast majority of them.

What, you want some praise for admitting that? Heads-up, this is the internet. People hide behind it and make all sorts of boastful comments all the time. You aren't the first, and won't be the last.

Flying a drone isn't illegal. And someone could sit on top of their house and look over a fence just as easily. Are you going to be a big, bad internet warrior and shoot them, too?

I'm seeing on the news stories of Drone operators getting arrested for flying their drones over peoples houses, near high rises, airports and businesses.  So I guess you can be arrested and charged, I never hear a follow up on if the person was convicted.  Many people in this country have been arrested for doing something that they didn't think was illegal.  Just sayin'...

there is a huge difference between being arrested and being convicted.

with the right attorney you can get away with murder, just ask O.J.

I predict invasive drone operation over private property will become the new "urban skeet shooting".

have you seen the new Air rifles ? they are incredible !..... almost silent with the same firepower that a small firearm has.

go ahead and have your fun  flying drones over my house,....  I'll have my own kind of fun.

here's a legal question for you.  Let's say your drone crashes (for some unknown reason) on my property do you have the right to retrieve it?

here's a legal question for you.  Let's say your drone crashes (for some unknown reason) on my property do you have the right to retrieve it?

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think it would be the same as if I kicked a football over the fence into your yard, or if my kid overthrew a baseball into your yard.

You sure have a thing about drones -- are radio controlled models drones in your eyes, or...

Larry N. said:
I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think it would be the same as if I kicked a football over the fence into your yard, or if my kid overthrew a baseball into your yard.

You sure have a thing about drones -- are radio controlled models drones in your eyes, or...

yes and no....

I don't have any problem with camera drones or any R/C toys. I even own two of them.

I do have a problem with R/C people that like to push their rights to public airspace all the way to the point where I begin to lose my rights to  peace and privacy.

I'm guessing that my careless handling of an air rifle could also offend some drone owners. But I have a right to target practice with one in my backyard.

Do you have a problem with guns, or the people using them?

Legal or not, I have enough class to know that there is a point of when my rights to enjoy my toys begins to annoy my neighbors,...... some people don't.

and before you start tromping around in my yard looking for your ball....... I'd appreciate it if you asked for permission.  Especially when I'm target practicing with my air rifle....:)

TonyDtorch said:
I heard there was a county somewhere that legalized the shooting down of drones.......sounds something like Texas would do.

Texas did, last year. Class C misdemeanor to fly over private property without consent of land owner.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB912

I think you'd get away with shooting one down. Texas is real big on privacy. Defense would be "I was in fear for my families life!" Period. No other reason needed. I love Texas!

Bill

driftless shifter said:
Texas did, last year. Class C misdemeanor to fly over private property without consent of land owner.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB912

I think you'd get away with shooting one down. Texas is real big on privacy. Defense would be "I was in fear for my families life!" Period. No other reason needed. I love Texas!

Bill

Not if you live in a subdivision in the City.  My local county sheriff in Red River County, TX told me that as I have well over the minimum 10 acres needed, he wouldn't enter my property even if a complaint of "heard gunshots" was reported.  But a game warden in the state, can and will enter the property, and can even do reasonable searches for "game animals."  Seems like a weird protocol, but have checked with other LEO's in the state and been told this is so.  So if they classify that drone as a game animal, your in trouble in Texas.  They'll even look in your freezer, so don't hide it there.  ;)

I was told a defense is that the animal was destroying your crops.  So if that drone was getting into your corn or tomatoes, your good to go.

TonyDtorch said:

Yes. If you refuse to either return it to me, or allow me to retrieve it, I file a case with an attorney and file a written demand that you return my property, and have the notice sent to you via registered mail to prove you received it, and you are then held to the letter of the law.

If you refuse to return it, I then file a case of Replevin to a judge, and they can issue an order requiring you to turn over the property.

If I post a bond the judge may set, I can have the sheriff immediately go onto your property and search for it.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I can then file a case of Conversion, which means that by denying my right to retrieve it, you have taken the property for your own uses. This is where you can then be arrested and thrown in jail.

And if the drone had a video feed that was recorded, it can be shown without a doubt that it was on your property when it 'crashed' for whatever unknown reason.

So, long story short, yes I have a right to retrieve it, either with your permission or through the courts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom