Drones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh come-on now,... let's say after you get a court order to come in and search for it and it has just disappeared....

....I don't have it, and I don't know what you're talking about....now what ?....what do you really think you can prove in court ?

I've never really played by the rules,.... to me, people that always follow the rules, are just a bunch of followers.

TonyDtorch said:

I don't have any problem with camera drones or any R/C toys. I even own two of them.

OK, the tone of your posts seemed (to me) to indicate otherwise. It's easy to misunderstand posts on a forum, since we can't see and hear each other.

Do you have a problem with guns, or the people using them?

Not if you're handling them responsibly (I teach rifle and muzzleloading classes, among other things).

Legal or not, I have enough class to know that there is a point of when my rights to enjoy my toys begins to annoy my neighbors,...... some people don't.

and before you start tromping around in my yard looking for your ball....... I'd appreciate it if you asked for permission.  Especially when I'm target practicing with my air rifle....:)

Note that I didn't say I'd tromp around in your yard, but rather "I'd think it would be the same as if I kicked a football over the fence into your yard," implying that I'd check with you first before "tromping" around in your yard.

TonyDtorch said:
assuming you could prove I intentionally and not accidently aimed at it...either way , as for jail ...been there, done that  and I got the T shirt.

shockingly I've done many illegal acts and I got away with the vast majority of them.

Why does this not surprise me>

Slippy said:
Yes. If you refuse to either return it to me, or allow me to retrieve it, I file a case with an attorney and file a written demand that you return my property, and have the notice sent to you via registered mail to prove you received it, and you are then held to the letter of the law.

If you refuse to return it, I then file a case of Replevin to a judge, and they can issue an order requiring you to turn over the property.

If I post a bond the judge may set, I can have the sheriff immediately go onto your property and search for it.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I can then file a case of Conversion, which means that by denying my right to retrieve it, you have taken the property for your own uses. This is where you can then be arrested and thrown in jail.

And if the drone had a video feed that was recorded, it can be shown without a doubt that it was on your property when it 'crashed' for whatever unknown reason.

So, long story short, yes I have a right to retrieve it, either with your permission or through the courts.

NO disrespect meant  at all:

And the cost to you of all this legal action, in money and time? 

Would it be worth it?

TonyDtorch said:
oh come-on now,... let's say after you get a court order to come in and search for it and it has just disappeared....

....I don't have it, and I don't know what you're talking about....now what ?....what do you really think you can prove in court ?

I've never really played by the rules,.... to me, people that always follow the rules, are just a bunch of followers.
Like I said, the video proves it was last on your property. That makes you responsible, whether you claim someone else came and got it or if you buried it.

In most states, probable cause is enough for a judge to rule in favor and you have to pay out of pocket for the property. Your insurance won't cover you for breaking the law.

And stop with the internet tough guy schtick, it ain't impressing anyone.

Dog Folks said:
NO disrespect meant  at all:

And the cost to you of all this legal action, in money and time? 

Would it be worth it?

Money, less than 200 or 300 dollars (which I can request be reimbursed by the accused through the courts).

Time, maybe a day or so doing paperwork and appearing in court.

Worth it? 100%.

If you flew an RC helicopter, with camera, over my back yard, and hovered, while my daughter was having a pool party, i'd shoot it down. Would it be worth it? A resounding yes. When you file papers, I'd file too, for all the recordings made on that date, who'd be laughing then?

Bill

Forgot to add I'm in Texas. Class C misdemeanor to fly over private property without permission. Who's breaking the law now?

Bill

slippy:

so, you are saying if your R/C toy crashes somewhere on someones property and it can't be found.

you believe based on your accusation of probable cause a judge will award you a judgement, and then you could lien that property for the value of your toy ......

......you really actually believe that ! ? 

you need make it really hurt ! ....you should also ask the judge to include the punitive damages incurred by the emotional loss of your all-time favorite toy.....:)

driftless shifter said:
Hovering over my backyard?

That might create some suspicion, but it's far from a certainty -- I have quadcopters and a helicopter with no camera, plus a quad that does have a camera. Note that the typical quadcopter that many call a drone, is a lot easier to control than a helicopter, plus the heli is less likely to make a good camera platform -- not impossible, just a lot less likely. On some of the larger quads you can actually see the camera, but that's not always the case, and they're typically difficult to spot on the smaller units.

Note, too, that in many cases, the quad's operator cannot see what the quad is seeing, though on some of the larger ones they have a video feed back to the transmitter.

Still, an ethical operator should normally avoid people pix, if he knows they are there. But these are wide angle cams, too, except maybe on the really large, expensive (professional?) units, so there's not much detail from any distance. Of course if they aim at someone and follow them, that's a whole different animal.

I'm following all the bluster here.
Not sure why people are getting their dander up, unless it's that pesky internet bravado thing rearing its ugly head....  ::)
If I'm sitting in my backyard on the deck having a beer or in the hottub and saw a drone "hovering above my backyard", I'd smile and wave. Perhaps they're interested in my deck I'm proud of. They certainly would not be interested in my swimsuit clad physique. I don't do anything illegal or particularly interesting in my yard.
From my understanding these things have a 10-20 minute flight capacity. Go nuts then with your toy.
I know... I know... The argument that "this is how the degredation of your rights start." I could put on my Floyd B. Turbo hat and my cammo and sit in the yard all day with my gun just waiting to shoot that somebitch down.. by gawd..no one's gonna violate MY rights... really?
Now.. if the thing kept returning for a repeat visit, I'd follow the drone back to its operator and ask him just what is it that he finds so interesting over at my place. I think the odds of that are quite overwhelming.  Relax folks...

BinaryBob said:
I'm following all the bluster here.
Not sure why people are getting their dander up, unless it's that pesky internet bravado thing rearing its ugly head....  ::)
If I'm sitting in my backyard on the deck having a beer or in the hottub and saw a drone "hovering above my backyard", I'd smile and wave. Perhaps they're interested in my deck I'm proud of. They certainly would not be interested in my swimsuit clad physique. I don't do anything illegal or particularly interesting in my yard.
From my understanding these things have a 10-20 minute flight capacity. Go nuts then with your toy.
I know... I know... The argument that "this is how the degredation of your rights start." I could put on my Floyd B. Turbo hat and my cammo and sit in the yard all day with my gun just waiting to shoot that somebitch down.. by gawd..no one's gonna violate MY rights... really?
Now.. if the thing kept returning for a repeat visit, I'd follow the drone back to its operator and ask him just what is it that he finds so interesting over at my place. I think the odds of that are quite overwhelming.  Relax folks...

It might be the county property appraiser wanting to know why you didn't get a permit to build that deck you're sitting on .....where's your permit Bob???? ;)

Slippy said:
Money, less than 200 or 300 dollars (which I can request be reimbursed by the accused through the courts).

Time, maybe a day or so doing paperwork and appearing in court.

Worth it? 100%.

Excuse my ignorance,, but what is the value of the average, non military, hobbyist camera equipped drone?

Just playing the devils advocate:  I would adopt the standard defense:  delay, delay, delay.  I think I could stretch it out to at least four of five different court dates, all of which you will spend time preparing for.  I could cost you much more money by my being cantankerous.

What is the value of your time per day?

The other issue is , you may win, but collecting the money is an entirely different issue.  (I have personal experience with that)

I, personally, would hand your drone back out of my yard, and explain nicely that I do NOT wish to have it flown over my property again.  Once is a mistake. Twice is purposeful.

Regardless of all the arguments about airspace, I  consider that an invasion of my privacy.  I do have a solid 6 foot high fence all around the back yard and have a reasonable expectation of privacy in that area.

There are lots of areas to fly.  My backyard is not one of them.  Have a great time, as they do sound cool.

Back
Top Bottom