Dry Batteries... Just add water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pike227

I just bought a 2002 motorhome and the two 6 volt batteries appeared to be powering the motorhome OK.  When I checked them however, I could not see any water in the cells.  I added two quarts of water to each and still can not see the water level.  Should I add more water or is there a better product to add when they are this low? 

Just distilled water, but if they are that low I suspect they're shot.  It's probably just your converter powering the 12VDC items in the RV.  Fill them up with water and see if they take a charge, but I'll be surprised if they do.

If you added 2 quarts to each cell.. What Ned Said is very likely true

If you added 2 quarts to each battery (2/3 per cell) you might try adding more and see what happens.. I will not promise or guarantee anything but... You ***MIGHT*** get lucky and see them recover.  Given the cost/benefits (Cost about a lotto ticket, Benefits aroudn 140 dollars) and the odds (Way, way better than said Lotto ticket) it's worth the gamble.

Add water to each cell until the top of the lead plates is covered 1/8"-1/4" deep. Use only distilled or de-ionized water.

If you added that much water, I doubt if your batteries were producing any current at all, so you've been running off the charging system, which supplies 12v power as long as you have shore power or generator available. It's easy enough to check - just unplug from shore power and see if things like lights and refrigerator and thermostats still work. They all require 12v power at all times.

Well as you all suspected, the batteries are shot.  I added more water just to have it leak out.  The motorhome came from down south and now resides in Northern Minnesota.  They must have froze and broke.  The funny thing is that this last weekend we camped for three days at a primative site with no shore power and things still ran on the 12Volt.  I did have to start the generator a few times to charge things and make coffee but we still made it through the weekend.  Anyways, now I have the piece of mind that the batteries will be up to snuff.  I guess my biggest question was really how much water a person could expect to add over time and if adding too much water at one time is a bad thing?  I noticed that in my second motorhome, which I am selling, the water was also really low this spring when I started it up.  Hopefully they are OK.  How often do you guys find yourselves checking levels and having to add water?

I check my house batteries about every 2 months  I may use  more water due to leaving my shore power hooked up all the time.  I buy distilled water from the food store in a gallon container and it will last about 2 years.  The new battery powered spray pump that comes with liquid insect spray makes a handy way to add water to your house batteries, particularly one's that are in hard to get to locations.  I guess I should add that I only use a new clean spray pump

Pike227 said:
How often do you guys find yourselves checking levels and having to add water?

A very good question.  I boondock 100%.  Battery bank and a generator.  Others motor on down the road and charge their batteries that way.  Some, such as you, park in campgrounds on shore power where the converter keeps you powered up both AC and DC.  The answer to your battery checking question depends on your usage.  It's called preventative maintenance.  If you rely on your batteries like I do, I check every couple of weeks.  Other situations may only require a check every month or two. 

Bottom line is checking too often never does any damage.  And usually brings peace of mind or shows problems in advance.  Your call.

Oh dear, I haven't checked mine, they are hard to get to, with all the wires and stuff. I am not even sure if they are regular are sealed cell.  Another thing to add to my list.  There are 6 of those babies, I bought 2 new ones last year. 

The BEST and MOST ACCURATE way to check the condition of a battery is to confirm the strength of the electrolyte (in each cell) with a Hydrometer and THEN use a Load Tester to confirm performance.

AND, as was stated several times, use ONLY distilled water for any required water additions. 

As an aside, I fielded an interesting question a few days ago concerning water and batteries. A fellow asked if he could use water from his Reverse Osmosis (RO) system instead of distilled water. A bit of research showed that RO does indeed remove mineral ions as well as most  impurities from water, so it will work fine in a battery.

Also, the water from a dehumidifier is reported to be a good source of 'pure' water, since it is condensed from the air as pure water.

So once the batteries are all full, it also serves as spot free rinse?

Back
Top Bottom