Dumb question #2 for newbee DP: fuel fillup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Pilot/Flying J charge card that allows me to use the truck/diesel lanes and never go inside the store.  I like the card, some don't - it gives you a few cent discount and automatically deducts from you bank account once per months.  Has always worked great for me.  I fill up almost exclusively at Pilot/Flying J because of it.

The trunk pumps/lanes are a little bit different. Firstly, all the drivers know what they are doing (very nice).  There are no kids wondering around trying to get hit. There is plenty of space. The windshield cleaner things are more than long enough to reach your entire windshield.  I don't remember the exact wording of the questions on the pump but you do not want to select refer fuel - just use common sense and it is not hard.  Finally, if you do have to go inside after pumping - pull up just past the yellow line so the next guy in line can start fueling.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Major truck stop chains like Pilot/FJ and Loves will NOT generally have card readers on the commercial truck pumps

So what do Truckers do?  Everyone has to go inside and pay first - even Truckers?

Maybe not so bad if you have a partner to go in while you fill up but I will probably be alone 99% of the time so
I would have to go in and pay with a CC and then fill up and then go back inside to get my CC and make sure the right charge
was made to my account with a receipt?  And after I filled up would I pull ahead?  thinking that the next person wouldn't be able to start
pumping until the pump was cleared of my charge before it could be reset for the next guy.

Seems like the Chains need to update their equipment like most of the regular gas station in the country.  JMO.

When on the major highways. We like to use the truck stops, like Flying J, Pilot, Loves. Easier to get in and out of with towing a toad. When using gas stations. Have to worry about the height of the pump awnings at some places.

RedandSilver said:
Everyone has to go inside and pay first - even Truckers?

Sometimes I think my messages are invisible.  I just said in the previous message that one does NOT need to go inside the store if you have the Pilot/Flying J charge card.  Simply swipe your card on the card reader at the pump (in the truck/diesel lane), pump the fuel, drive away.  Can't get much easier.

JFNM said:
Sometimes I think my messages are invisible.  I just said in the previous message that one does NOT need to go inside the store if you have the Pilot/Flying J charge card.  Simply swipe your card on the card reader at the pump (in the truck/diesel lane), pump the fuel, drive away.  Can't get much easier.

JD, do you know if that same card also works at Loves?
I read what you said. Do you know why is it that some people don't like the card?

RedandSilver said:
So what do Truckers do?  Everyone has to go inside and pay first - even Truckers?

Maybe not so bad if you have a partner to go in while you fill up but I will probably be alone 99% of the time so
I would have to go in and pay with a CC and then fill up and then go back inside to get my CC and make sure the right charge
was made to my account with a receipt?

Misconception. That's what the surveillance cameras are for. Pull up after fueling. You will still be within camera/eyeshot of the cashier. It's typically the norm unless a small, back woods type fuel stop.

If there is a problem with the charges, you still have the opportunity to pull into the lot to fix it. You may not like the added inconvenience, but at least the action won't hinder the next person waiting for the pump.   

Rene T said:
JD, do you know if that same card also works at Loves?
I read what you said. Do you know why is it that some people don't like the card?

No, it does not work at Loves (only Pilot/Flying J).

Here in the west, I have used a Pilot truck stop (truck/diesel lanes) once (Grand Junction, CO) and it worked just like the Flying J's (entire transaction handled at the pump).

The card automatically deducts from your bank account once per month.  It seems some folks do not like that. I've had no issues and they always send a statement a week or so in advance so there are no surprises. The details can be found on their site:
https://www.rvpluscard.com/ProgramDetails/

The web site did say:

The RV Plus Card can only be used at Pilot Travel Center and Flying J locations.

You must have gotten lucky as far a Loves truck stop.

Rene T said:
You must have gotten lucky as far a Loves truck stop.

Doh!!!  Indeed!!  I fixed my post - terribly sorry.  The card is a Pilot/Flying J card - not Loves.  Too many names to keep straight and so little brain power....  :(

I agree with JFNM. I have used the GS Flying credit card for the past 3-4 years and love their service. I still work part time and use the MH while working. I usually use the RV island if one is available, if none is available I will use the truck pump. I have had no problem using the card at either location.  They will send you an email 4-5 days before the monthly charge is due to be withdrawn from you bank account and will send a second email the day the charges are withdrawn. I will print a year ending summary to use when filing my income tax.

I believe that truck drivers are like most any group of people...most are great and are very courteous. However, some can be an axx. I always go with the theory that they are working and I an on vacation so I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Frank 

I try to use Fj/pilot as much as possible. Using he Fj cc at truckers lane. I will not use RV pumps, I have waited for folks far too long to do everything but wax their rigs and have lunch. I find truckers tend to display more courtesy than others.  I pay more for fuel at Fj than at non truck stop stations but the ease of using the Fj cc, ease of getting in and out quickly, and the ability to park on their lot make up for the estimated $100 extra I spend annually at Fj. I have never had a problem with the truckers JMHO

BigJohn said:
. [I find truckers tend to display more courtesy than others].  I pay more for fuel at Fj than at non truck stop stations but the ease of using the Fj cc, ease of getting in and out quickly, and the ability to park on their lot make up for the estimated $100 extra I spend annually at Fj. I have never had a problem with the truckers JMHO

I agree, and do the same. Waiting for the dog to do it's bidness is also frustrating.

First question - is Flying J and Pilot the same.  I mean are there separate Flying J stations and Pilot stations?
Or are the always together?

Second is for those with a CC did you go online to get the CC or pick up an application form in one of the stations?

Third are there any fees with these CC's?

Do the Love stations have a CC too?

Is there a per gallon discount when using one of their CC's?

Are the FJ/pilot stations ALWAYS preferred over a T/A (Truck and Auto) station?

Thanks for any info to the above questions.  :)

RedandSilver said:
First question - is Flying J and Pilot the same.  I mean are there separate Flying J stations and Pilot stations?
Second is for those with a CC did you go online to get the CC or pick up an application form in one of the stations?
Thanks for any info to the above questions.  :)

Here's the link provided a couple of days ago. It will answer some of your questions.

They used to be two different companies but are now one.  However; the stations I have seen look pretty much the same as before. Nonetheless, they are one company (my unofficial understanding).

Online for me.

I don't recall any - check the link.

I do not know.

Yes, check the link.

Me personally?  For fuel, I prefer FJ's so I can use their card which makes getting in/out very quick/easy.  I've seen some T/A's that have really great dump stations (meaning lots of space and no line) and I've used them.

Rene T said:
Here's the link provided a couple of days ago. It will answer some of your questions.

Thanks for the link.

So did I read that right, and you need to be a GoodSam member to get a discount and the level of membership determines the discount?

At one time you could get a loyalty discount for the purchase of fuel at Love's. However, the last time I tried to use my discount card at Love's I was told that I would have to get their new card that only gave points towards things that they sold in their store. Not what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom