Dumb question about propane and power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripken

Our new 2015 Itasca Viva awaits its first journey with two complete novices at the controls.  Our fridge runs on generator power, A/C or propane. 

We'd like to run the fridge and maybe have air conditioning while driving from the midwest to Colorado.  Is it easiest to simply run the generator while driving?  The fridge will run on a/c power, propane or via generator.  There's a main valve switch in the propane area that's under a plastic cover.  To run propane, would I need to take off the cover and turn the main valve to the right, then replace the cover?  If that's the case, how long should/can I keep the propane valve open?    Just wanting the easiest/best idea for a rookie but want to know also if there are any important things to keep in mind with either scenario.

If you want to run the coach rooftop air, you'll have to run the generator...or carry a VERY long extension cord. :p

We use the roof air when the dash air just isn't enough, and leave the propane on while we're travelling so the fridge stays cold.

NOT sure how your rig is set up, but on mine, I simply turn on the propane with the knob and tu4n the fridge to either "Auto," or "Gas."

Welcome to the RVForum!! Best wishes to you for a safe and fun trip.

My preference would be to set the fridge to automatic so it would run on propane while moving. Then, if you want the extra cooling of the roof AC, start the generator and turn the AC on. The fridge would automatically use the 120V from the gen also. Then if the weather cools and you turn the AC and gen off, the fridge goes back to using propane.

Check your power setup and figure out in advance if you have an automatic or manual relay for shore power vs. gen power. Or if like my RV you might have to make sure the shore cord is plugged into an outlet in the storage bay to use the gen.

There may be some who feel that they need to turn off their propane tank while in motion, but IMO there is very little additional risk when it's open. I do think it's smart to turn off all open flames (I.e. the fridge while it's running on propane) while you're refueling the vehicle though. Your propane tank's valve should not be covered. It should be always accessible. The cover you mentioned is probably the cover for the regulator.

Lots of folks will run their generator while driving, so they can power their rooftop A/C unit, and there's a pretty strong argument that it's actually more efficient than running the dash air. It cools the whole coach a lot better too.

Kev

The fear is if there is an accident and the propane line ruptures you have a torch... Or the Fridge could catch fire while driving.

I will address those.

The tank outlet should include something called an excess flow cut off.. If the line bursts so that you get that torch.. It closes.. Of course there is not guarantee it wortks unless it's bothered you in the past.  (Many people when they open the propane for the first time in the spring,, the sudden rush of gas into the lines, closes this cut off and you have to turn it off, have a cup of coffee (Brewed electrically since you don't have gas) Then turn it on SLOWLY so gas just seeps into the lines.. and then more and more over a period of a couple mintues.. Then everythign works.

As to the fridge fire (Rare though they are in truth)  Imagine you are going to a Rally.. The thing catches fire on the road,, The 2,000,000.00  STARTING Price high end rig behind and beside sees the fire and KEEPS CLEAR... (I mean would you pull up close?)

Or you get to the rally, packed in like sardines, Fire up the fridge, Same 2Million plus rig beside you. Return from Opening cermonies to fidn teh Fire Dept making a house call.... Both hosues and 2 more beside... I'm sure your insurance agent will be pleased with the claim.

Thanks for your replies so far.  This page has a link to what our propane supply looks like:  http://www.manualslib.com/manual/974838/Winnebago-2015-Viva.html?page=39 

As you can see there IS a cover there.  So...realizing this is for most of you probably a very elementary question...Do I remove it and then turn the propane on by turning the tank supply valve a bit to the right and then put the cover back on?  And if so, how long can I leave it continuously open (drawing power for the fridge is what we're looking to do)?  OK to keep it open continuously for an 8-day trip?  Or...is the valve just always open (my guess is no, but odd that there's a cover on there).  They did say to turn the fridge off when fueling just to be safe. 

That cover takes the place of the door on my rig. Keep it on unless you need to turn the propane on/off or fill the tank.

You can turn the propane on when you get ready to leave for a trip so the fridge will be cooled enough when you need to use it. You don't have to turn it off until you either have the tank filled, or are done with the trip and putting the camper into storage.

When I go camping, I get to the storage lot, turn the propane on, hit the switch to connect the house batteries, set the fridge to auto, then hook up the toad or load the motorcycle, and drive off.

I enjoy the trip without bothering to turn the propane off/on.

When I get back to the storage lot, I disconnect the toad or drop the bike, switch the batteries to disconnected, turn off the propane, do a last walk around, then go home.

Setting the fridge to off will keep it from sparking a flame during fueling. Just don't forget to turn it back on, or the food could spoil.

When you turn the propane on, turn the valve all the way on.  Crack it slightly open for the first few seconds so the tank can build up pressure in the lines without tripping it's excess flow lockout, but once the lines are pressurized turn the valve all the way on.

The seal around the knob's shaft only fully seals when the valve is fully open.  Leave it partially open and you may get a small propane leak around the shaft.

Gas usage is rated in BTUs per hour.  Propane contains about 90,000 BTUs per gallon, your fridge uses a few hundred BTUs to support it's tiny flame.  In other words, the refrigerator barely sips propane and your tank will last for months at a time just running the refrigerator.

Larger users are heat producing appliances like your stove and oven, hot water heater and furnace.

Your stove will use about 6000 BTUs per burner per hour (0.07 gallons) on high setting.  Medium setting uses half that amount.  The hot water heater uses about 9000 BTUs (1/10th gallon) each hour the flame is burning.  If it takes 20 minutes to heat a tank of water, that's 1/3 hour or 1/30th of a gallon.

The biggest propane user is your furnace, at 15,000 - 30,000 BTUs (1/6th to 1/3rd gallon) per hour of operation, depending on the model.

All gas appliances list their BTU consumption on their nameplate or in the owners manual.  Take that number and divide it by 90,000 to find it's propane consumption in gallons per hour.

As mentioned above, you REALLY should turn off all sources of flame (fridge, furnace, water beater) when you're in a gas station...and some public transportation "devices" such as ferry boats and tunnels often requre you to pbysically tuen the tank off while you're in/on them.

Otherwise...turn the tank on while you're getting ready to travel to pre-cool the fridge...leave it on while travelling.

Thanks everyone.  I'll probably have more questions as we go on but so great to get quick and helpful responses from you all. 

Just curious..have you talked to the selling dealer to see if they can give you a "hand's on" tutorial on how your various systems work? You'll get a lot of good answers here from a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people but it seems that it would be better, if possible, to have someone give you some help, in person. Did the dealer not offer to do this and just send you on your way?

...and videotape it if you can. Our son came with us and did the video-taping so that we could focus on the presentation.

Back
Top Bottom