Duotherm AC finally broke. Does anything fit on roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willie1971

Hello

My duo therm 2001 AC unit broke on my 35 foot class A allegro bay.

Can I order just about anything and stick it in the hole on the roof?  I am ducted and was thinking about a heat pump/ac unit and I want to put it in myself.

Can someone break down if all AC units are the same hole size and so forth.  Not sure how that all works.

Thanks all!

There is an inner and outer section, and you need both if the new upper doesn't mate with the existing lower duct assembly.  If you have multiple zones for heat/cool, you might end up needed to replace the zone controllers as well. After 19 years there may be interface changes.  I don't know of any particular issues to warn about, but it's a possibility you may need to investigate.

The only thing standard is the 14x14 opening.

Short answer is yes. Most anything will fit.  The hole in the roof is 14" square. they all are

(I might add fantastic fan and bathroom vents. also 14" square  one size fits all)

However the control wires may be different.. (if it has a wall mounted T-Stat)

The ducting unit.. likely will be comptable (if it is ducted) (That's the middle part)

IN SOME cases you can get an Adapt-a-Kit to use the same controls and the same ceiling unit just changing the top and perhaps one plate inside.. I need to replace one of my A/C's and will get the adapt-a-kit and set it up over winter then get the new A/C next spring.

Thanks all.  I might just have to see what I want and give the company a call.  Definitely want a heat pump. I'm in Florida now and it just gets chilly and all I need is a heat pump.  Ac during the summer and a heat pump in the fall sounds good to me.  Hate to waste propane.

Thx much.

Willie1971 said:
Thanks all.  I might just have to see what I want and give the company a call.  Definitely want a heat pump. I'm in Florida now and it just gets chilly and all I need is a heat pump.  Ac during the summer and a heat pump in the fall sounds good to me.  Hate to waste propane.

Thx much.

I don't know about a heat pump but the AC I installed in our bedroom had the option of a heat strip and I did get it. It works really good on cool damp days while we're in FL.  The roof top AC is a Dometic, 13,500 BTU's. Model B57915.
The ADB (air distribution Box) which is the inside unit is model 3314851.00 and the heat kit is model 3314998.000

Rene T said:
I don't know about a heat pump but the AC I installed in our bedroom had the option of a heat strip and I did get it. It works really good on cool damp days while we're in FL.  The roof top AC is a Dometic, 13,500 BTU's. Model B57915.
The ADB (air distribution Box) which is the inside unit is model 3314851.00 and the heat kit is model 3314998.000

Thanks that helps!!!  I will be replacing it in the spring.  Decided to keep the old AC unit on top for the winter and just use the electric heaters for now.  I would rather save some more money and get the one I want.  The heat pump units are close to 1000 bucks. 

Be aware heat pumps start losing efficiency when the ambient air temp drops below 40 and gets worse the colder it gets. You may still have to burn propane or use space heaters when it gets really cold. Two 1500 watt space heaters keep our RV above 70 when it gets down to 30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom