Duracell AGM Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bertola

Does anyone know anything about these batteries?  http://www.driveduracell.com/default.aspx?pageid=9 I can't find any specs on them.  Amp hour rating and size and such.  I called Duracell and they didn't offer up much info on them either.  Sams club sells them for about $99.00 each.  Sounds to good to be true for AGM batteries. 

The good news is that they are probably made by somebody else and simply private-labeled Duracell. There are only a few US plants making large AGM batteries, and they all build a pretty good product.

The rest of the question is about case size, amp-hours and related battery specs. Are these cheap AGMs the same spec as what you now have?

Right now I have group 31 flooded cell batteries.  I know these won't have the capacity of my current batteries.  But I am not sure I need all those amp hours vs keeping up with the water levels and the corrosion of my current batteries. 

Go dry cell AGM. If you can afford them Odyssey are the very best and the #1 choice in AZ these days with great warantee coverage. I've a son in Tucson, single, and spends a lot of time away from home in his 4x4. Optima are the next choice, and I now have 3. You wont find these at Costco.

www.batteriesplus.com is a good source of information and they're in every state. Because of the price, the Abq only orders them to the sale and you have to wait.

You're right I don't see very much about the Duracell labeled ones. I did find an AGM31DT part number, but still no specs. I do see some other batteries that LOOK very similar, mention East Penn as a manufacturer, cost WAY more ($219), and have a 105 amp/hr rating. If that's the Duracell battery, and it's only $100 at Sams that could indeed be a good deal.

Hmmmm, found this:
http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=1491

The problem with Optima is you get 2/3 the battery for 3/2 the price.... The sprial design of the cells means they can at the most be 73% as large as a more common retangular or cubical design,  But per the web pages they are really only about 60%,,,

How did I get there:

I looked at the Amp Hour Rates... For one specific size the "Standard" shape batteries deliver 100 amp hours.. OPTIMA 60.

I advise leaving Optimas on the slelf.. The only exception to this is if you have a rough service ride.. 4-runner, wave runner, or the like that goes slamming over ruts, rocks, ditches, logs, and waves.. That is where the optima takes a physical licking and keeps on cranking.

Best advice is to know what your current size is and then find the price.  AGM technology is very competitive, so price wins.  I have 'Universal?' grp 31 AGMs and they were a bit more than $1.50 an amp.  They're going on 3 years now and are as good as new.

We are at 8 years and 9 months for our four LifeLine 4D AGMs and they still seem to be quite strong and working very well.  Goal is hopefully 10 years.  January 2013 will be 10 years.  I have always tried to start the recharging when they reach 60% so if I was a little late they still were at or above 50%.  I always leave them connected to the 120 volt inverter when the MH is stored in the garage.  The only downside will be the original cost for new ones...X-PEN-SIVE.  We love 'em.

JerryF

One thing about AGMs, if you're a dry camper, they take a charge much faster than a wet cell which is why I like 'em.

I was at Sam's yesterday. Mine has two different Group 31's for about $170, and a group 34 at about $99. It;s the Group 31's I could find online for over $200 with different labels on them. Seems like pretty good pricing, like pkunk says it's just simple math on amp-hours/dollar.

I went back to Sam's the other day and found the group 31's on the bottom shelf.  Those are the Batteries I need.  The others for $99.00 did not have enough amps.  Thanks for all the responses.

My experiences with dry cell batteries is that they will fail around two years of use. I have had better luck with wet, 6-8 years with out any problems.

For the sake of accuracy, an AGM is not a dry cell - the liquid electrolyte is held in a sponge-like material. An AGM is closer to a gel  than the flooded type of wet cell.

But cobra is right - if the batteries fail in two years, there is no sense paying extra for AGM (or gel either). But an AGM should last several years with reasonable care, which basically means a decent 3-stage charging system and not discharging them below about 45-50%. Same with any other battery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom