Easiest/cheapest way to paint a fiberglass rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces67

What is the easiest and cheapest way to repaint a fiberglass travel travel?

What kind of paint should you use?

There is no easy or cheap way.  That is unless your looking to make it garbage.  Lots of sanding, cleaning and degreasing.  To do it right you want to use a decent quality automotive paint.  Of course thats going to cost you near a hundred dollars a gallon.
If you want cheap buy a few rollers and a couple of gallons of rustoleum.

It all depends on your standards for the resulting finish.  The easy cheap way is a dozen rattle cans of Krylon or Rustoleum, but don't expect nice looking results.  I've seen RVs painted with marine deck paint using a brush. Not bad if you stand back several feet - people paint boats that way too. 

But to get a professional-looking job that looks like the original, there ain't no cheap or easy.

Let me ask what type of fiberglass trailer you are inquiring a about, different fiberglass designs have different types of finish on them, though most have gelcoat, if it is gelcoated, you may not need to paint, you may just need some polishing, gelcoat is much thicker than paint, so even when heavily oxidized it can often be restored to near new looks with some work using a double action polisher, and a light polishing compound and wax

Removing the decals or pin striping may be harder than you think. You'll need a heat gun to scrape them off a little at a time. Then solvent to remove any residual glue. If you paint over decals its going to look very bad and the paint will crack as they age. If you use rattle can paint the decals may peel or dissolve and you'll have a real mess.

That being said Google "$50 paint job". If you have the time and skills I've seen some that turned out pretty well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom