El Paso to Denver. Would you avoid this route right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian w. Hall

I'm planning on heading from El Paso to Denver next week. The weather looks good and the terrain seems ok since the route takes you East of the mountains. Has anyone done this route that could vouch for it being safe for Motor Home travel in January?

I've driven from Albuquerque to Denver (family in S. Cal) during the winter many times. It's a crap shoot. Last year we had to stop in Las Vegas, New Mexico because of weather. The other times the road was clear. The worst weather seems to be from Santa Fe to Raton, NM and then again just north of Colorado Springs at Monument Hill.

Going up the E. Slope is no guarantee of good weather. It does however give you more advance notice of approaching storms.
  My Sister lives near Walsenberg, I've been that route a few times.
  Raton Pass seems to be the worst followed by Castle Rock, CO.
  Usually a day of two after a storm hits the west coast it's hitting S.CO.

No one, including the weather person, can totally predict what route will work.  ALWAYS be prepared to hole up somewhere.

We took I-80 east at the end of one January and had sunny weather while I-10 in Texas had blizzards.  Use your weather channel every day if you have a CB or weather radio and plan accordingly.

ArdraF

We lived in Colorado Springs for 8 years. Weather can be bad north. Weather can be bad south. And it can change quickly. An "Albuquerque Low" can make I-25 on the south end of Colo Spgs horrible. Keep an eye on the weather and be ready to park somewhere for an unknown period of time.

Wendy

if you go right now, it will be blue sky all the way; next week who knows, the weather channel says there's another "storm" coming.  The storms these days, for the most part, are not as intense as I remember storms of the 80's... we got 7 ft of snow one weekend in the 80's and it wasn't that unusual to see -25.  Now 6" is a reason to delay schools and anything below zero gets noticed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom