Electical Question...Somethin Does Not Seem Right!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does it matter which battery is connected to the rig

Example 1:

G--|-Batt-|Rig
. . |-Batt-|

Example 2

G-|-Batt-|
. .|-Batt-|RIG

Example 3 and 4 are flipped top to bottom

Assuming all battery/cable/jumper connetions are good and solid no.  Some folks will tell you example 2 is the proper way
but in truth it does not matter unless you have a very very big load such as an Inverter and then only for a fraction of a second

If I only take the TT on 4-6 outings a year, is it really worth all the extra $ to spring for the 6 - volt set-up (2 in series) , rahter than 2 12-v in parallel deep - cycles?

Can you guys recommend a brand of the true deep-cycles & their approx cost?

For regular true deep cycle  the best is AGM or for lead acid Trojans.  However, Interstate is also  pretty good battery.  I would not recommend any battery made by Exide or any battery that is not a true deep cycle for the house batteries.

I agree with Ron about the Interstates. I've had good luck with them. The one on my pontoon boat is 7 years old.

You ask "Is it worth the extra money?"

I would suggest you price the batteries.  12 volt DEEP CYCLE batteries are starting to come down in price due to a new line of Golf Cars that runs on the higher voltage (36 volts instead of 18 IIRC) These use two banks of 3 12 volt batteries where as older ones use 2 banks of six volt. 

However as of this typing you get the best "Bang for your buck" with six volt pairs,  I've hinted at the reason

Companies that make batteries usually have several production lines. One line does nothing but golf car batteries, that's all it does, all year long it just does one battery, that's because there is that much demand for that kind of battery.  NOTE that this may change in another decade or so as golf courses go to the higher power cars.  but for now it holds true.

The other lines will produce different batteries, occasionally every day of the week, they are re-tooled (At great expense) and this expense has to be passed on or the company goes bust.  Thus 12 volt batteries simply cost more.

This, is the primary reason I prefer six volt pairs.. COST is lower for the same amount of watts of power (Amp hours times volts)

There are other arguments too,, however they are arguments and often get heated..

And of course if you get a good sale on 12 volts.. You can do better there cost wise

Another consideration is that most six volt golf car batteries are very good quality to top quality, this is because the people who buy most of them (Golf courses) are looking at long term bottom line,  They are also designed to be maintained by "hired help" which is good too.  12 volt batteries come in different quality rankings.. Some are designed for folks who look at the price tag only and wish to spend 30 bucks on a Piece of junk that is doing good if it outlasts it's 5 minutes or the end of the driveway warranty (And the installer will push if needed)  Others are over a hundred bucks (For the same size battery) and need replacement every decade or so.

This is not to say you can not get a real good low-cost (I mean sometimes they goof and make a good one) or a real bad high cost (Same logic).  But odds of a good battery are a lot, and I mean A LOT higher with Trojan than Excide

f I only take the TT on 4-6 outings a year, is it really worth all the extra $ to spring for the 6 - volt set-up (2 in series) , rahter than 2 12-v in parallel deep - cycles?

Hard to say.  There  is no inherent advantage in 6v vs 12v, but true deep cycles are not readily available in 12v whereas the popularity of golf carts makes the 6v deep cycles relatively common and perhaps somewhat lower priced in some regions.

A true deep cycle should last 7-10 years, even in occasional use such as yours. A typical "marine deep cycle" sold in local stores will last 1-3 years. The deep cycle will cost 2x or more but last 3x-4x as long, so in the long run it is cost effective. Most occasional RV'ers, however, choose the cheaper upfront cost of the marine batteries and figure on buying new ones every two years.

Trojan is the premier manufacturer of lead-acid deep cycles, whether 6v or 12v. A pair of Trojan 12v or 6V will produce about 200-220 amp-hours and cost anywhere from $225-$325, depending on the competition in your area (prices can vary a lot). AGM versions of the same battery will be about twice that price, but are maintenance free and don't corrode connections.  Interstate U2200 6v golf cart batteries can sometimes be found for under $100 each ($200 per pair) and that pair yields 210AH.

Lifeline (Concord Battery) is another top brand of AGM deep cycle.

Cheap batteries are, well, cheap. They usually have 25-30% lower amp hour ratings and always have shorter life times than the higher priced models.

I will second that Ron... I will second that

Next time I have to drop a battery in my car I'm thinking of going the deep cycle route (if I can find room) cause a pair of Interstate U-2200's will hold a charge even with parsatic loads more than long enough for me to crank her up and drive again,  I have a 100 amp plus alternator to recharge with and the fairly light starting load of that V-6 won't tax them at all even sub zero temps.

Where as the recommended battery lasts about 3 days on parasictic loads only if 4 if I turn off the FT-51R or it's not too busy

Now that I have a brand or 2 in mind, by virtue of the wisdom put forth by the experts on this forum, where would I be able to find such brands local, so that I will not have pay $$$ to ship 100 lbs of lead & acid to my front door?

Location...Modesto, CA

There's a Trojan Batteries dealer in Modesto. Go to the Trojan web site and search by zip code or region.

FWIW when I was going to buy a couple of Trojan 8D batteries, the guy readily gave me a huge discount off the retail price over the phone, and was eager to put them on a truck to Stockton at no additional cost. I would have had to drive to Stockton to pick them up, but that's a lot closer to for me than Modesto. Of course, 8D's are much more expensive than golf cart style, so maybe he had more headroom in the price, but it sounded like this guy was eager to work with customers on prices.

Well.. What brands are you looking for.?  Johnson Controls can be found at Sam's or Costco, in the six volt side US-Battery may be at Costco too. don't know.  Lifeline is sold by many RV dealers, but you will have to shop around abit, Trojan's are harder to find but with any brand

Start by entering the brand name and, if not part of the brand name the word "Battery" or "Batteries" in GOOGLE, go to the company web page and choose "Find a dealer"

We happened to have a battery die one time in Death Valley and Jerry talked with someone at the golf course.  He said to find a place that sells batteries to golf courses because they tend to be more "fresh" than other places.  They recommended a place in Las Vegas (where there are LOTS of golf courses) and we were quite pleased with the product, the price, and the service.

ArdraF

find a place that sells batteries to golf courses ..

That's where I've usually bought golf cart batteries over the years.

The "golf cart" battery that most of us talk about here would be T-105 in Trojan's lineup. It has a rated capacity of 225AH. The T-145 has the same footprint, but is a little taller and has a rated capacity of 260AH. Depends on how much height is available in your battery compartment/tray and how many $$ you want to spend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
am312
Back
Top Bottom