Electric under floor heating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drifterrider

Has anyone tried the electric under floor heating such as I've seen on the DIY shows?

I looked in the library but didn't see anything.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I haven't installed it, but two friends have it in their coaches (factory installed). It works nicely and is a popular feature on high end models.

Do you know if it does a good job keeping the coach warm on those cold days?  I don't think I'd rely on it solely but seems it would make a great "in addition to".

I've not seen it in a coach, but my brother has it in his house (steam, though, not electric), and it's a nice, even heat, with no furnace fan noise -- wish I'd done it when I built my house. If it's half as good in a coach as it is in his house, I'd love it.

Whether it keeps the air warmer or not, the main thing is NO MORE COLD FEET!

No mater how warm the air is, if the floor is cold, you feel miserable walking around on it.

I've been thinking of using this
http://www.warmfloor.com/floor-heating/products-and-applications/step-rv/

srs713 said:
Whether it keeps the air warmer or not, the main thing is NO MORE COLD FEET!

No mater how warm the air is, if the floor is cold, you feel miserable walking around on it.

Well, I have shoes.  An R/V doesn't have a lot of space to walk around in AND, I'm fundamentally lazy :)

As heat rises, I was just wondering if it would be worth the money.  I would also imagine it would provide some heat to the basement.  I've read about moisture problems when heating with LP so I've been looking at diesel fired marine heaters.  Looks to me like a large oil lamp (big wick) and based on the Youtubes I've seen they put out a lot of heat.

I don't have an RV yet; I'm retiring in 22 months and plan to full time.  I learned a long time ago that 90% of a successful evolution is preparation.  (Learn from the mistakes of others).

I look forward to seeing some of you on the road:  22 months and counting.

Drifterrider said:
I've read about moisture problems when heating with LP so I've been looking at diesel fired marine heaters.  Looks to me like a large oil lamp (big wick) and based on the Youtubes I've seen they put out a lot of heat.

Burning any fossil fuel will produce moisture.

Drifterrider said:
Well, I have shoes.  An R/V doesn't have a lot of space to walk around in AND, I'm fundamentally lazy :)

As heat rises, I was just wondering if it would be worth the money.  I would also imagine it would provide some heat to the basement.  I've read about moisture problems when heating with LP so I've been looking at diesel fired marine heaters.  Looks to me like a large oil lamp (big wick) and based on the Youtubes I've seen they put out a lot of heat.

I don't have an RV yet; I'm retiring in 22 months and plan to full time.  I learned a long time ago that 90% of a successful evolution is preparation.  (Learn from the mistakes of others).

I look forward to seeing some of you on the road:  22 months and counting.

If you have moisture problems from heating with LP you have venting problems which can kill you. The only moisture would be from the exhaust of the furnace and that should never be in the RV or your home, yes you will get some from using the stove top but that is why there is an exhaust hood that should be on whenever a burner is lit.

I wouldn't do it. RVs flex as they drive and they flex a lot that can cause the wire to frey and break best hope is it doesn't work you have to pull everything up and replace it, worse it catches you on fire. RVs are not insulated like houses you'll be loosing a lot of heat under the vehicle. The only moisture problem you have with heating is if a boiler line burst and sprays water No boiler systems in RVs though. With heat it's the lack of humidity not abundance most people add a humidifier to their heat and that is all types of heat. If you are having a moisture problem it's probably not from the heat but the heat will accelerate mold and mildew growth. a fresh air vent will remove the moisture  A UV sterilizer is  the absolute best  to take care of mold mildew airborne viruses and bacteria it also eliminates smoke and pet odors

Since you are planning to fulltime, you will probably be in warm weather most of the year.

But yes, needing and having heat is a must.

When my roof AC died, I replaced it with a heat pump. Works magic to keep me warm with electric and I have the propane backup furnace too.

Nothing to trip over either.

DearMissMermaid said:
Since you are planning to fulltime, you will probably be in warm weather most of the year.

But yes, needing and having heat is a must.

When my roof AC died, I replaced it with a heat pump. Works magic to keep me warm with electric and I have the propane backup furnace too.

Nothing to trip over either.

I have wondered if anyone made a heat pump for an RV.  I've also wondered why anyone needs 13,500 BTU A/C when my widow unit will cool my bedroom (250sf) and it is only 5,000 Buts.

I do plan to follow the weather but having been a Boy Scout; Be Prepared.  I lean towards triple redundancies.

That A/C might be a heat pump -- mine are. The RV heat pumps are very common these days.

I've also wondered why anyone needs 13,500 BTU A/C when my widow unit will cool my bedroom (250sf) and it is only 5,000 Buts.

Well, an RV isn't insulated nearly as well as a house, so heat transfer (in or out) happens more rapidly, and on a hot, bright sunny day it's all two of them can do in many of the larger RVs (a lot of the 45-footers have three A/Cs).

Well, I don't use it much, but it nearly drove me out one cool day when I was using it to load the generator for its monthly run. Probably as well as an air conditioner cools, until you get down in the low 40s, when it starts losing so much efficiency that you must switch to another heat source. At least that was true of the heat pump we had in a house once, and I've heard these are similar in that respect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom