Electrical issue in my trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobCourtier

I have a 2006 Wells Cargo , Harley Davison, custom toy hauler.
Today, as I was getting it ready for Sturgis, I had the shower vent fan on while cleaning. I was also running the water pump to clean the water lines out.
It all suddenly shut down and I've lost all dc power to everything.
Fuses all are OK, battery full and in good shape. As I have no idea where this "junction box" I've heard about, is, I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I do have ac power to everything ac.

Attachments

• 20230126_100514.jpg
    20230126_100514.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 5
54-215PLP-2.jpg

Look for a circuit breaker like this (this is an auto reset version) but some have a button that pops out the end, which you push in to reset them. My trailer has the manual reset version, looks like this, but with the button, hard to see actually.

This will be found somewhere between the battery positive terminal and whatever kind of power panel the trailer has.

Charles

Last edited:
I'll ry to find this in the morning.
It's been driving me crazy all afternoon/ evening.
I have had very little problems with this trailer until now.
Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Welcome! Also look for circuit breakers that look like below. They are shown in non-tripped. The way yours should look (if you have that type). The red level is reset by pushing it back in to the position as shown below:

And be sure to post your motorcycle here. And have fun in Sturgis, SD!

s-l640.jpg
or:

30amp.jpg
-Don- Reno, NV

Update on this issue.
Have been all under trailer and have not found one of these boxes.
I still have power to BOTH SIDES of the fuses and still no lights or anything.
I disconnected the battery and the 120 voltage and restarted the system to no avail. Now there is a "box " inside the refrigerator back that I haven't checked yet. A service guy told me there hacmd to be a short somewhere behind the fuse panel. But everything went out all the sudden and I'm doubtful of that.

Rob

Post a pic of your fuse panel if you can, and "power to both sides of the fuses" tells me you took a meter or light and probed for power at the fuse terminals to a good ground. If so, something serious happened, like a gopher eating your wiring harness.

Charles

as every thing in this unit is self contained, and we don't have "gophers" up here. I can see anything other than mice getting into it.
When it went out, it was just like a fuse popped and everything went dead.

Rob

Battery is full up, power to panel, and both sides have power on the fuses.
That usually means a short somewhere
But where? No signs of animal damage.
Only thing left is the converter.
But I can't see how that would do this.

Rob

Found it!!
The ground wire wasn't grounding well.
Will fix that tomorrow.
I ran a temporary ground to the body from the ground in the box and everything came on! The wire I used was far too small. So I took it off before it became too hot. But now know where to look and fix it. But thanks all for your assistance.
I help lead me in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom