Electrical Issues! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigchieftaco

Hey everyone!

We have a 2004 Salem 31' bunkhouse that we purchased from my in-laws. The camper sat for a year or two.
This year we have been having intermittent electrical problems.
We replaced the battery hoping that might solve some issues but looks like they are still lingering.

What happens: I leave the camper plugged in at my house 24/7. Last night the carbon monoxide alarm was going off because battery was dead. Lights barely work. The dang camper is plugged in, why is this happening. Today at the campground the same thing is happening. Randomly lights start dimming and things stop working. Ac, fridge, outlets, etc.
I flip breakers and eventually it works again.

What I think the problem is: I'm wondering if the inverter itself is going bad or maybe something easy like a bad ground or something?

Bonus info: if we unhook battery, lights don't work even when plugged into hookup.

You said the carbon dioxide detector was going off. Did the battery smell like sulfur (rotten eggs) if so and it is a new battery the charger may be overcharging and boiling the battery. It may be a bad charger that ruined the battery. Check the vlotage at the battery while plugged in and see what you have.  Should be around 13-14.5 vdc

Your RV would most likely have a converter, not an inverter. You can check to see if the converter is working by unhooking the negative cable from the battery and seeing if your lights work. Or if you have a meter, measure the voltage at the battery cables with both unhooked. You should get about 13 1/2 volts. If you determine your converter is bad, I recommend http://www.bestconverter.com

Replace the convertor. Its bad. From what you describe, what little power you are getting is from the battery.

Let me be the first. Welcome to the forum. To help later on down the road, go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

A CONverter converts 110 Volt AC to 12 Volt DC which the majority of the RV'ers have. Some have a INverter which converts 12 Volt DC to 110 Volt AC. RV'ers have them if running a residential fridge and other 110 Volt AC components.

Depends on the makes and models. What do you have at the present time?? Some converters are part and parcel of the power centre (especially those that have the 12V fuses on the same panel as the 120V Circuit breakers). The converter part can be replaced separately in some cases. A little skill may be required but it is not difficult. (The make and model of these types is usually indicated on the door of the unit.)

And the make? (probably a WFCO.) It is a 55 amp unit by the looks of that model number.

I to agree the converter is likely toast. can you advise the make and model.

There are several "Types" of converters but for this post only two
One is part of the power distribution panel. or, in other words, in back of the breakers and fuses.

The other is a "Stand alone" device

Recommended up grades are from Progressive Dynamics (Marshall. MI)
For the first the 4600 series replaces JUST the electroniccs. you still use the same fuses and breakers. you may need to add ONE jumper wire.

For the 2nd the 9200 series  Try to match the last two digits of the model to what you have now.

I replaced mine with a Factory Refurb when it died.  Took my around 10 minutes labor (DIY) and a hour on the road (I parked in Tekonsha, MI at the T/A (Formerly Tekon) Truck stop and the hour was drive time to Marshall, purchase and return.. ('m serious about the amount of labor invovlved on my rig, more if you have an integrated type.  Mine is a stand alone.

I still recommend calling bestconverter and getting their recommendations. There is a good chance that they will recommend the PD posted about above or one of the"Boondockers", which is a good unit too.

kdbgoat said:
I still recommend calling bestconverter and getting their recommendations. There is a good chance that they will recommend the PD posted about above or one of the"Boondockers", which is a good unit too.

Your carbon monoxide alarm well alarm when the voltage gets low.

Randy at Best Converters is very knowledge and well help you out. I bought a Boondocker from them when I replaced the converter in our new trailer. I replaced it before we even used the new unit. I just don't like the WFCO converters and I was going to AGM batteries and it was going to stay plugged in all the time. Also you want to have a newer converter if you intend to leave your rig plugged in all the time. Most older converters well overcharge a battery and boil them dry unless you keep an eye on water and keep filling them up with distilled water. If using an older converter and leaving it plugged in I would check the water level monthly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom