emergency brake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

floyd2u

Looking for A break down of the emergecy brake on A 2003 W22 newmar Kountry star gasser.

Thanks
Floyd

The "emergency brake" is actually a drum brake mounted on the drive shaft where it exits the transmission. It also functions as the parking brake (aka "auto-Park").

Workhorse W-series chassis used the J71 or J72 auto-park brake. I think the W22 is the J71, but not positive of that. UltraRVParts specializes in Workhorse stuff, so you may find help there:
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Auto-Park-Brake

The Workhorse Chassis Guide (service manual) is also helpful. Get it free at

http://deserttruckservice.com/pdf%20folder/workhorse_chassis.guide.pdf

Thanks Gary but A little confused after reading the chassis guide.
My E brake is just A pedal you push down & then release it by pulling on the release
handle like many cars.

Floyd

Ah I suspect you have/ had a J71 automatic parking brake that someone may have converted to manual operation. see http://www.oemys-performance.com/j71autopark.htm

Thanks for the link but that was confusing to me. :-[ How can I tell for sure if it has been converted?
What started my concern I can hear A noise coming from it while driving every once in A while.

Thanks
Floyd

My E brake is just A pedal you push down & then release it by pulling on the release
Yeap, but it is manually activating the driveshaft brake.  Look underneath - I doubt if you will find any cables going to the rear brakes as you often do in a car.

I think Heli_av8tor is right look at the  workhorse chassis guide PG 173

Floyd

There is no locking pawl on the rear axle as with cars and light trucks, so "parking" always engages a brake.  The W24 (J72 brake system) is different than the J71 on the W20 & W22, but both use a driveshaft brake to "park".  However, only the J72 is referred to with the name "Auto-Park".

Note that page 173 states that "All W series chassis use a brake mounted on the rear of the transmission..."

Yes its mounted on the rear of the transmission but its not auto park It's manual.
Again read pg 173 16000 ,20700 & 22000 GVWR have a manual brake on the rear of the tranny & 18000,24000 AND the 25500 GVWR has the auto brake.
I will craw under the beast & see if there is any type of hydraulic lines & from what I remember when I looked I don't think there is.

Floyd

I'm sorry if I confused you with my earlier reference to Auto-Park. It is often called that in online sources, even though technically only the J72 has that label.  The point is that it's not a traditional cable to the rear brakes, as on most cars and light trucks.

Heli_av8tor said:
My W22 has a manual parking brake. I thought the Auto-Park was only on the W24?s. (?)
Correct.  My W22 has a manual brake that is contained in a drum around the drive shaft at the transmission.  I know that it is adjustable as an RV tech did that for me when he was replacing an AC compressor and I mentioned that the brake was not really holding very good.

Bill

OK now back to my original question doe's anyone have A parts diagram of the E brake system?

TIA
Floyd

Back
Top Bottom