Emergency Exit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like that one Buddy and Kodiak :)

Re: seat bealts

Many times I've had folks tell me things like "Well what if the belt jams?"

I wear a leatherman knife

Well, what if you break your arm

Well, if the accident was that violent then sans the belt I'd be in no condition to crawl out so .....

I WEAR THE BELT

I know too many people who were wearing their seat belt when the vehicle crashed and lived to tell about it

And I've seen far too many people who thought seat belts were "Too confiniing" or "I need to get out in a hurry" and... Well.... Let's just say that where they are now.. They are not going to get out of, and it's as confining as a grave.

And speaking purely as a professional emergency person: WE HATE IT WHEN DEATH WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ours has a drivers door, and a emergency exit window in the bedroom.  The way most RV's are constructed, I'll bet I could kick out one of the windows rather easily.

In the event of a roll over?  I don't even want to think of what would be left attached to the chassis.  Once saw a TT that got away from the tow vehicle.  Only thing left was the frame and axles. 

Older MH's had flimsy wooden frames around the "box".  Not safe at all.  At least most modern day MH's have steel or aluminum frame work cages.

Our RV also has the emergency window in the bedroom and a driver door too.

I have the type in the bedroom where one pulls the string out of the channel.

Has anyone here gone through that procedure? What are things to look out for ?

I hope the string doesn't deteriorate with age. :) Certainly there is no non-destructive way to test it.

carson FL  83.5F

John In Detroit said:
I know too many people who were wearing their seat belt when the vehicle crashed and lived to tell about it

And I've seen far too many people who thought seat belts were "Too confiniing" or "I need to get out in a hurry" and... Well.... Let's just say that where they are now.. They are not going to get out of, and it's as confining as a grave.

Bear with me, I have two stories:

A friend of mine was driving from St. Cloud to Minneapolis in winter weather. Near Monticello, on a railroad overpass, the car ahead of him hit a slippery patch, skidded into the curb, and rolled down the embankment. My friend drove to the bottom of the hill and went to check out the other car. The driver was hanging upside down from her seat belt, but essentially unhurt - just a few cuts and bruises. While helping her out, another car skidded into the same curb and rolled the same way. The windshield popped out of the car and the unbuckled driver followed it. After the driver hit the ground, the car landed on top of him, killing him. In two very nearly identical accidents, one driver walked away, and one died.

I once spoke with a guy who had been a cop in Brooklyn Park, MN for over 20 years. He'd seen loads of accidents over the years, but told me he had never once cut a dead body out of a seat belt.

This notion that you'll be able to get out faster if you're unbuckled is utter nonsense. If you're unbuckled, you'll be exceptionally fortunate if you're concious and capable of "getting out faster." It's more likely you'll be incapacitated, unconcious, or dead.

Well J G.. In the 2nd accident the person did get out faster all right... I've also heard "Well, I'd rather be thrown from the car than trapped inside a burning car.

1: Burning cars are rare, and the kind of accidents where they burn (Hollywood crashes are NOT accidents, they are scripted and not very well done these days) you tend not to be thrown and 2: your second story... The driver was indeed thrown from the car

In fact in one of my stories the driver and wife were both thrown from the truck.

Junior, who was more or less uninjured, was strapped in, had no serious injury

I've heard so many of those stories, both kinds,

There is a saying about Motorcyclists:  Those who refuse to wear a helmet may not have anything for the helmet to protect (No brains)

Well.... Those who refuse to wear seat belts... In fact those who would disable or discard ANY safety feature:  Same comment.

John In Detroit said:
There is a saying about Motorcyclists:  Those who refuse to wear a helmet may not have anything for the helmet to protect (No brains)

Along the same lines regarding helmets, my favorite comment was "Spend as much on your helmet as you think your head is worth."  :)

Did I mention the anti-helmet rally here in Detroit... One rider on his way hit a pot hole or something and went head over handle bars.  Skidded down the freeway on his skid lid. Minor damage to the bike.. Troopers responded, assisted him in uprighting thebike and on to the rally he went.

Now, understand he'd have gotten to the rally even if he'd not have had his helmet on.. IT was held on the roof of the county morgue.

Back
Top Bottom