Emergency fresh water tank sanitizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, not paying them dozens of dollars to fush it, I already paid extra for chlorine flush, I'm not rich. I used iodine for years for my tent camping container stuff, will be just doing the same now.
Presumably nowhere free close by? We have been to lots of local dump stations with free potable water.

This stuff.
As it says below, it's really for things that have already been washed thoroughly, so might not get you the results you want.
Iodopher-BTF-sanitizer-web_400x.jpg

Description​

Iodophor is a sanitizer that contains no chlorine. It is an iodine based sanitizer requiring one minute of contact time to sanitize. Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer if used in the correct proportions. If the working solution is too strong, iodine odors will be left behind unless rinsed away.

Usage: Add iodophor to cool or lukewarm water. Never use hot water to mix iodophor. To make the 12.5 ppm no-rinse solution use 1/4 oz (7 mL) iodophor to 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water.

General Directions for Use:
  • Scrape and prewash glasses, dishes, or brew materials whenever possible.
  • Wash with a good detergent or cleaner.
  • Rinse thoroughly with plain water.
  • Sanitize in an iodophor solution made to 12.5 ppm concentration for at least 1 minute.
  • Place sanitized items on a rack or drain board to air dry. Never towel dry.

This stuff.
As it says below, it's really for things that have already been washed thoroughly, so might not get you the results you want.
View attachment 162151

Description​

Iodophor is a sanitizer that contains no chlorine. It is an iodine based sanitizer requiring one minute of contact time to sanitize. Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer if used in the correct proportions. If the working solution is too strong, iodine odors will be left behind unless rinsed away.

Usage: Add iodophor to cool or lukewarm water. Never use hot water to mix iodophor. To make the 12.5 ppm no-rinse solution use 1/4 oz (7 mL) iodophor to 2.5 gallons (9.5 L) of water.

• Sanitize in an iodophor solution made to 12.5 ppm concentration for at least 1 minute.

It sounds good but there're cheaper ways to get iodine.

The only thing with iodine: concentration got to be right. There're bacteria living in the black tank and as water goes into it, too much iodine can harm those black tank bacteria that are helping to digest the waste.

So far the bad smell and taste seems to be mostly gone after several days of use, I didn't even have a chance to add iodine yet, will add later.

Presumably nowhere free close by? We have been to lots of local dump stations with free potable water.
No, nothing is free here. In the desert, water is a hard thing to come by, waste disposal is also more involved for the dump stations, I think, because of soil properties...
The government shut down the main dump around here because of contamination.
The cheapest fill and dump is $16 for small class C (a lot more for bigger rigs)
People pay to stay in LTVAs (long term visitor areas in the desert, they get free dump and water for $40/2 weeks, but those LTVAs aren't very nice to stay in because of crowding and shady characters)

Last edited:
Once the summer is close I'll move to my usual tent-camping ways of using all water outside, have large containers with taps for that, got camp shower, shower tent, etc.
I'm fully equipped for comfortable long term camping without RV plumbing systems, got backup portable toilet too.
I like it more this way anyway, feels more like real camping and less worries.
Plus I like creek water better. Love getting water from creeks, the process feels special.
Will add iodine to keep water fresh in the RV tank.

Last edited:
Love getting water from creeks, the process feels special.
Glad to hear from you today.

I live in Maryland. Where are you living out there?

Are there any campgrounds near you with full hookups that you could stay at for 24 hours and get a shower at the bath house and keep flushing your camper?

After you do that, maybe you will be great and won't even need iodine anymore.

got it from a dealer

Can you take it back to the dealer that sold it to you in the first place? Maybe you could stay there for FREE and keep flushing your system?

I rather dislike Iodine as a water sanitizer as its reaction byproducts are liquids so will not off gas the way Chlorine reaction products tend to do.

This stuff.
View attachment 162151

Description​

That gets expensive. To sanitize a 100G tank would cost close to $48.
source: Iodine-based Sanitizer - BTF Iodophor

Description​

You forgot the text in red (use "expand" above). Impossible to do for an RV water tank.

If you can't stand bleach, use Purogene which is specifically designed for sanitizing water tanks.

I didn't forget, posted it. The guy was looking for options in a not ideal situation so his non-potable wouldn't stink. I don't know if it would work for him or not, and yep it's expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RES1749
Back
Top Bottom