Enchanted with Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monday, May 28

Linda and Dean, we were sad to say goodbye to you both, but know you will be in good hands at home.  You always feel better with your own doctors. Thanks again for handing over your coupon books.....we owe you a dinner or two.  Since I had forgotten all about getting the books, it was special that you gave them to us.  I've been going through them and wow, what savings!!

After we left you, we walked back up to our coach and immediately noticed our rear jack had leaked hydraulic fluid....not a lot....but a leak.  It's like it dribbled out, but then didn't leak any further.  Tim didn't want to take a chance and have to deal with it in the back wilderness of Alaska, so we located an authorized HWH mobile guy who is coming out this afternoon (Monday) to see what is going on.  We are hoping it's a small thing.....but it could be a big thing....so we'll see.

Safe travels!  Let us know when you get home.

Marsha~

Sorry to hear about your change in travel plans but glad that Tim and Marsha were there to help (isn't Framily wonderful?). The Glacier trip sounds like a wonderful alternate plan. You can even duck up into Canada to get your "foreign" fix :) Perhaps you could even go home via Cortez for the trip you missed the last time?

Wendy

Wow, what an abrupt ending to a well planned  venture.  I'm sorry you will miss it but am reminded about your very good attitude that seems to make  lemonade out of lemons whenever needed.  Hope Dean recovers quickly so that you can be on the road again. 

Glacier seems like a fine substitute for a  delayed Alaska trip.

BB

Well, isn't that the pits!  I'm glad Dean went to see the doctor and got a diagnosis.  Really happy to hear it's okay to drive home and be taken care of there.  We both send good wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery so you can implement Plan B which sounds great.  We enjoyed the first leg of your Alaska trip and will look forward to next year's log.  Have a safe trip home!

ArdraF and JerryF

Marsha/CA said:
Monday, May 28

You always feel better with your own doctors. Thanks again for handing over your coupon books.....we owe you a dinner or two.  Since I had forgotten all about getting the books, it was special that you gave them to us.  I've been going through them and wow, what savings!!

After we left you, we walked back up to our coach and immediately noticed our rear jack had leaked hydraulic fluid....not a lot....but a leak.  It's like it dribbled out, but then didn't leak any further.  Tim didn't want to take a chance and have to deal with it in the back wilderness of Alaska, so we located an authorized HWH mobile guy who is coming out this afternoon (Monday) to see what is going on.  We are hoping it's a small thing.....but it could be a big thing....so we'll see.
  Let us know when you get home.

Marsha~

Thanks so much for everyone's wishes and prayers.  They worked! (Hopefully.)  We have nothing but great things to say about Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland.  They were fabulous in every way.  However, they told us Dean had a bone infection, and the surgery was frightening.  They got Dean started with lots of IVs of antibiotics, and gave him prescriptions for more to take orally as we came home.

When we got home this afternoon, we went to our wonderful Dr. Bell, a podiatric surgeon who has saved Dean's toes and feet I believe 3 times before--once after Dean flew home from West Virginia, leaving me with a Jeep and a 20-year-old cat to jockey across the US.  It turned out to be a real adventure!  That time was also a bone infection, and the Eastern docs had nothing but scary solutions.  Dr. Bell went to work, and it took a long while, but he totally cured Dean without ever hospitalizing him.  We are hoping he can work his miracles again this time.  I feel such gratitude to him and his positive attitude.

Marsha, I'm glad you looked through the books.  I forgot to tell you that they start in CANADA.  Because they said "Alaska" on the front, I didn't think to look through them, and there were places we had stopped and paid full price for things that were in the book.  I kept a record, but I'm doing this from recall--I think they saved us between $600-$900.  The big items were the marine cruises--I think we took them all except the 100 glaciers in Whittier, which was jammed with tour busses of cruise people.

We'll be journeying with you in your log.  You are so right to have your rig in top shape.  Get anything that's wrong fixed in the Lower 48.  You do not want to break down in Canada.  What a nightmare it was for us!

For everyone else besides Marsha who wrote--Thanks for all your support, and I'll answer you, but I have to get to sleep tonight.  It's been a long, wonderful busy day, and it's 12:30 a.m.  I volunteer in my daughter's classroom tomorrow with 25 8-year-olds, and you can't do that on short sleep.

Dr. Bell feels optimistic that we can save Dean's toe, and we are following his instructions to the letter.  He leaves the office at noon on Wednesday to go to a Wound Care Clinic, but he came all the way back (half-hour drive) to see Dean at 4:00.  I couldn't believe that any doctor would do that!  We aren't out of the woods, but there is a lot of hope.

Fondly,
A Very Relieved Linda

We're sending prayers and good vibes Dean's way. Be sure you get some rest, too !

Wendy

Dang.  Sorry to hear about the postponed trip.  But it is good to get things taken care of at home with your own trusted doctor.  Sending well-wishes, and can't wait to read about your upcoming trip to Glacier.

All fingers and all toes crossed and lots of cyber wishes for Dean!

ArdraF and JerryF

Back
Top Bottom