Engine Block Heater (CAT C7)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGrimm

Okay, I have seen the Engine Heater switch at the top of the 'OnePlace Systems Monitor Panel' . I assumed if I needed it (and may tomorrow) I just turned on the switch. Simple!!

Then I got the coach's Operators Manual out and saw this 'Engine Block Heater Note' (see below) and now I am confused. I guess I assumed since the switch was in the coach that the heater was already hooked up and ready to go. So I looked in the rear storage compartment on the drivers side of my 2006 Journey 34H for the engine heater power cord and receptacle mentioned in the note. I see NO cord with a plug on it and NO 110vac receptacle. On the Journey 34H the rear DS storage compartment is the 50 amp cord, transfer switch, and dimension 2000 w Inverter in the back half and the Fresh Water feed on the front half.

What am I missing as I see no cord with an AC plug on the end and I see No 110 VAC receptacle? Is the Operators manual wrong? Is the Engine Heater actually hard wired in the 2006 Journey?

I have only one storage bin (middle PS) that has a 110 VAC receptacle and that is live all the time.

- Russ

Edit by staff: changed message icon to Topic Solved

Attachments

• IMG_2291 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2291 (Copy).JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 32
Page 2 of the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the location of the outlet for the Engine Block Heater.  If you zoom up in the diagram you'll see it in the lower left side, labelled 'RCP-1 (PUR) ENGINE HEATER' at location B/C-6/7.

cbeierl said:
Page 2 of the Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the location of the outlet for the Engine Block Heater.  If you zoom up in the diagram you'll see it in the lower left side, labelled 'RCP-1 (PUR) ENGINE HEATER' at location B/C-6/7.

Chris - Thank you for the diagram. I went out to look for the receptacle again based on the drawing. In the area indicated in the drawing, in that compartment there is a steel access panel. I removed that panel and it exposed 3 boxes/control modules but no actual 110 receptacle. If there is a 110 vac receptacle in that compartment it is hidden and I can't believe that would be the case based on the Operators Manual note I posted above.

The diagram seems to indicate that the receptacle faces towards the rear of the coach so I even look outside the compartment and no. The only possibility is if it is mounted on the Black Box on the bottom left compartment wall under the inverter (see photo 3 below), but I can't believe that this receptacle is actually only accessible by removing cover.

Below are a couple photos of my rear DS compartment (with the steel access panel on the right side removed).
- Russ

Attachments

• one.JPG
    one.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Two.JPG
    Two.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 38
If you can climb under and check the side of the engine block and see if you see it mounted in one of  the soft plug ports. I installed one on my 3126 last yr and it works great for pulling out in Feb. Per Cat I installed on drivers side of the block.It could be installed in the block and the cord may not on it as it is removable from the element

Russ, the best I can recommend is to stick your head in the compartment with a flashlight and look up and around.  It's liable to be a dark outlet face, possibly facing into the compartment.  It's definitely in there somewhere.

It is located on the upper right side towards the back. It is a black single outlet. Hard to see without a flashlight. The cord is about 6-8 inches long with obviously a plug on the end.

SUCCESS!!!

Thank you Chris for motivating me to look one more time  :)

All the way back in the upper right corner of the storage bin, tucked behind a big bundle of 12 volt wires I found a power cord with a 3 pin AC Plug still tie rapped. Then when I looked (with my hand) I found a AC receptacle mounted to the right side of the metal box that holds the CATV connections, the Water Pump switch and the Exterior Coach switch. I checked the receptacle to verify it was switched with the inside Engine Heater switch and it was.  So it is all plugged in and now ready to use.

Thank you.

I can't help to wonder how many others have just assumed the switch inside was actually wired and functional.

- Russ

Attachments

• IMG_2309 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2309 (Copy).JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2310 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_2310 (Copy).JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 43
Russ, that is exactly how mine is set up also. One other thing to note, the ac receptacle has two outlets but only one outlet on mine works with the switch, the other side is dead. I say this so you don't get it plugged into the wrong side if yours is like this.

edit: just noticed in your pic one side of your outlet is blocked, nothing to worry about here.  :D

Mavarick said:
Russ, that is exactly how mine is set up also. One other thing to note, the ac receptacle has two outlets but only one outlet on mine works with the switch, the other side is dead. I say this so you don't get it plugged into the wrong side if yours is like this.

edit: just noticed in your pic one side of your outlet is blocked, nothing to worry about here.  :D

When I first found the receptacle, because of the tight spot it is in, even with a flash light it looked like a dual receptacle. It wasn't until I squeezed my camera up there and took that photo that I realized one of the receptacles was actually blocked off.

What got me in trouble here is seeing the Engine Heater Switch at the top of the control center and just assuming that it was fully connected and functional.  It wasn't until I read a post on a board somewhere about making sure that the engine heater is actually plugged in. That post made me go to the Operators manual and the search began  :)

Being a new owner of my first Class A (only since the beginning of this year) there has been a learning curve for me understanding some of the systems.

Again, thank you to everyone who helped me here.

- Russ

That's a handy outlet to have.  I've used it for a battery charger to charge my towed battery a few times, no extension cord needed.  When we were regulars at QZ, we made the coffee for several years.  We would plug the 50 cup percolator into the outlet at night, all set up with water and coffee, and after the generator was off, turn the switch on.  When I would start the generator in the morning at 0700, we had hot coffee by 0800.

On our Journey the Trick-L-Start died, and I use the block heater plug to power the battery charger I use to keep the chassis batteries charged for now.

You just never know where that pesky receptacle is going to be found. I have a washer/dryer compartment in the left rear corner of my coach. I found the engine block heater receptacle behind that compartment. Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom