Engine Brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pikachu_DFW said:
"when you use your engine brake/exhaust brake/transmission brake, here is something to keep in mind . . ."

Clear and understandable.

It should be by now. If not, I'm sure you'll get used to it. I'd think you'd be thrilled, since your previous objection was that "e-brake" seemed lazy, and retarder is the technically correct term for all of them anyhow.

Tom,

Our Windsor had the foot switch. The Camelot came with a dash switch when on turns on the "turbo Brake" (this is basically an exhaust brake built in the turbo per Cummins) when the accelerator is at zero.

Now I have a foot switch AND the dash switch. If the dash switch is off and I want the exhaust brake I can use the foot switch. For long downhills I can turn on the dash switch and not have to hold down the foot switch. I think this is the best of both.

ken

That's essentially what we have Ken - both the footswitch and dash switch.

We almost didn't have the footswitch installed. I bought it from the Monaco parts trailer at a rally, but then decided I didn't want to mess with installing it. I was on my way back to the parts trailer to return it when I ran into Ardra while walking past their coach. Ardra convinced me to keep the footswitch and to have the Monaco techs install it, which I did. Jerry was in the conversation but Ardra, being the primary driver, was also the primary "convincer". Chris and I are sure glad I listened and walked back to our coach, and then set up a service appointment.

Pat controls the ebrake with just the brake pedal, the accelerator and the "Resume button.  If her foot is on the accelerator and she wants to coast, she just removes her foot if then she needs to brake, a tap on the brake pedal and the ebrake comes on.  If further braking is required, she steps on the brake and holds it as needed.  To go back to cruise, she hits "resume" and away we go.  :)

The dash ebrake switch is on all the time.

It really is a good way to go.

Boy, ya gotta love that. Pass a law that you have no intention of enforcing and encumber the tax payers with the cost of signs and maintenance - just to make some people happy. But I guess that's a discussion for another forum - not a friendly RV forum. Time to light some incense and try to get my blood pressure down. (Where's Buddha when you need him?  :))

Kev
BernieD said:
Just to clarify a couple of ebrake issues:

... and I questioned our local councilperson. She said that they had no intention of enforcement, but are passing the ordinance and putting the signs up to cater to the old biddies who always complain about everything, and just in case one of those old rat-a-tats come thru.

So far, we have a "majority" of one for the term 'retarder'.

I'm with Ned - call them what they are - engine brake (aka Jake Brake), exhaust brake (aka PacBrake), or extarder (aka transmission brake). Meanwhile, we have an article in our forum library on Engine, exhaust and transmisison bakes. I see no reason to muddy the waters with new terminology.

It isn't new terminology at all. It's a technically correct term for any of those devices, and it's certainly less ambiguous than "e-brake", which is commonly used to refer to a vehicle's parking, or "emergency" brake.

I'm with the group that leaves the exhaust brake on except when in city traffic. I also hit the economy mode button on my trans once I get going to lower my downshift points and allow me to use soft cruise when I get on the freeway and engage it. Getting to the freeway will warm your service brakes as much as they will ever need. My soft cruise lets me coast downhill even with the exhaust brake engaged while still monitoring the speed. This keeps me in the highest gear possible to climb hills (to save fuel).
I do find with the cruise off and a little practice I can "work" the exhaust brake to my needs with timing. The longer you hold it of course the more it will slow and downshift. You can also apply it just enough to start slowing then go back to a neutral throttle position where your exhaust brake disengages but you don't gain or lose speed. Good for slowing until you see what traffic is doing up ahead.
I will also second the fact that if you need to stop in a panic situation when cut off, etc, having the exhaust brake on helps. A little praying also helps to keep you from running over the jerk in the little sports car that just cut across 3 lanes to cut you off.... :mad:

It's a technically correct term for any of those devices

The technically correct term for an exhaust brake is exhaust brake. The technically correct term for an engine brake is engine brake. The technically correct term for an extarder is extarder. At least, that's what the manufacturer's call them.

I have no clue what an e-brake is; My first thought was an electronic brake, but they don't all employ electronics.

I didn't say it was THE technically correct term for any one of those individually. I said it is A technically correct term that can be used to refer to any and/or all of them collectively.

'The' or 'A', is irrelevant; My last message stands, and there's no reason to arbitrarily change terminology and confuse everyone.

The use of 'the' or 'a' is completely relevant, and you're only trying to dismiss it to lend your own argument some credibility, much like you were trying to do here in what seems to be a less-than-thinly veiled attempt to make me look like a fool.

Tom said:
So far, we have a "majority" of one for the term 'retarder'.

This is your idea of "the friendliest place on the web"? Perhaps you should analyze the direction in which you're headed, and adjust course before you encounter the proverbial iceberg.

.... much like you were trying to do here in what seems to be a less-than-thinly veiled attempt to make me look like a fool.

Whoa there, where did that come from? I've never tried to make you or anyone else look like a fool.

Perhaps you should analyze the direction in which you're headed, and adjust course before you encounter the proverbial iceberg.

FWIW we've been around for almost 20 years, and you've been here just 9 days. I suggest you read our forum rules before you start hurling icebergs  ;)

One minor point, Extarder is the former brand name of the Jacobs Exhaust Brake.  It's what we have on our coach.

While all these devices fit the description of a retarder, questions asked here are almost always in the context of a specific device.  Saying "my retarder won't activate" doesn't say much but "my exhaust brake won't activate" gives us a good starting point for diagnosis.

e-brake conjures up a vision of an electronic brake, and I can't picture how that would work :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvislivesontimbits
Back
Top Bottom